<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Not everybody can grow 7-5 and healthy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:23 am
User avatarPosts: 299Location: MalaysiaJoined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:35 am
Quote:
Mandara, porbably caojiong was SHOCKED at your PROFOUND knowledge about the subject matter !!!!!

Anyway, THANKS for the information.

Wish to clarify one more point. If the tumour of the pituitary gland got removed or reduced, then the abnormal growth (of the hands, feet, skull, nose and jawbone) caused by Acromegaly would stop. But LOGICALLY AND SURELY, EVERYTHING WILL BE THE SAME AS BEFORE THE SURGERY AND NOT AS BATEER DESCRIBED, THAT THE HAND, THE FEET, THE JAW, THE SKULL OR THE HEIGHT WILL SHRINK DOWN BACK TO NORMAL SIZE, RIGHT ???

OR ELSE, THAT SOUNDS LIKE HORROR MOVIE OR HULK !!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you pryuen... :oops: :oops: :oops:

You are absolutely right pryuen, a person will not "shrink" as a result of a successful surgery because we are talking about bones that are growing here, along with soft tissues.

The bones do not disintegrate when the growth hormone release has ceased (if it did... we all will go through senescense straight after puberty). The bones will just cease to grow, meaning that the person will indeed remain the same as before the surgery in terms of size.

Like yun mentioned, treatment for acromegaly is very risky. Cerebrospinal fluid leaks, meningitis, or damage to the surrounding normal pituitary tissue, requiring lifelong pituitary hormone replacement are very common sugery complications.

Even when surgery is successful and hormone levels return to normal, patients must be carefully monitored for years for possible recurrence. More commonly, hormone levels may improve, but not return completely to normal. These patients may then require additional treatment, usually with medications.

So yeah I hope all goes well with Pavel's Treatment, because acromegaly can shorten your life.

Mandara

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:38 pm
If left untreated, the tumor can press against the brain and cause blindness and kill you.

Who was that Chinese 7-2 center guy in the 1980's who died young? Did he have the same diseases?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:50 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Bateer wrote:
If left untreated, the tumor can press against the brain and cause blindness and kill you.

Who was that Chinese 7-2 center guy in the 1980's who died young? Did he have the same diseases?

I think I knew which one you're talking about. I posted very earlier on something about him.

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... ight=#6945

The guy's name was
Han Peng Shan (韩朋山) , who died of a sudden heart attack on a train on his way home during his vacation.

No one was for sure how tall this guy was; some said he was 2.1M (6ft 11); some said he was 2.14M (7ft), some said he was 2.18M or 2.2M(7ft 2). And no one knows for sure whether his heart disease was caused by the hormone abnormalty we are discussing here.

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:33 am
Posts: 853Location: The Golden StateJoined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 am
Wow Mandara, your knowledge of this disease is quite extensive. I just want to add that when excessive secretion of growth hormone occurs in children, it is known as gigantism. I wrote something about the symptoms of gigantism in another thread. Here's the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498&start=0

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:06 am
Posts: 853Location: The Golden StateJoined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 am
pryuen wrote:
And no one knows for sure whether his heart disease was caused by the hormone abnormalty we are discussing here.

It's possible. Gigantism can cause cardiovascular disorders.

Offline Profile