<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Not everybody can grow 7-5 and healthy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:52 pm
Russian giant Pavel Podkolzine recently dropped out of the NBA draft, which again remind us how precious Yao is...

The main reason is that no team want to commit to somebody who has a potential hormone problem. Although it is treatable, but he has to wait until next year to show everybody he is healthy and can withstand 82 games in 7 months.

Yao played 82 games without injury and still gained some weights. His parents are tall too, that is why he is a NATURAL tall, healthy human being. Lucky Rockets!

I mean it is biologically not easy for somebody to grow to 7-5 ans and has BB talent. It is just not.

Wish Pavel well and wish yao going stronger!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
BostonLi wrote:
Russian giant Pavel Podkolzine recently dropped out of the NBA draft, which again remind us how precious Yao is...

The main reason is that no team want to commit to somebody who has a potential hormone problem. Although it is treatable, but he has to wait until next year to show everybody he is healthy and can withstand 82 games in 7 months.

Yao played 82 games without injury and still gained some weights. His parents are tall too, that is why he is a NATURAL tall, healthy human being. Lucky Rockets!

I mean it is biologically not easy for somebody to grow to 7-5 ans and has BB talent. It is just not.

Wish Pavel well and wish yao going stronger!

Well I think Pavel Podkolzine withdrew from the draft NOT PURELY for his potential hormone problem but could be a CLEVER PLOT !!!

Yes, he was diagnosed to be suffering from acromegaly, a growth hormone secreting pituitary adenoma. But according to the press, that is not a too serious probelm which could be corrected by minor surgery.

He is pulling out of the draft because he planned it that way !!!

In the end, the 7-5 Russian center accomplished quite a bit just by being here, as now EVERYONE RELATED TO NBA (every scout, every general manager, every head coach) knew how to spell Podkolzine. When he returns to his Italian team next season, he can do so with the confidence of knowing that he is a much sought-after commodity in the league (and NBA in future).

I think he has
never been serious in THIS YEAR'S DRAFT . He just wished to dip his toes in the NBA draft pool to get a sense of the interest he can draw.

Imagine.....he is still young, only 18 years old. But up till now, he is
NOBODY in the Italian league, having only played 10 games and averaged 2.4 points last season. You can imagine how many minutes per game he managed.

NOW, having established himself a name in the NBA draft, when he returns to the Italian league, he should be able to get more play minutes, strengthen his game, and return in next year's NBA draft, probably as a Top 3 draft, and then make
BIG FORUNE then.

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT. PAVEL PODKOLZINE IS JUST TESTING THE WATERS !!!

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:39 am
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Transphenoidal surgery is NOT a minor sugery. Too many things can go wrong.
It is still a serious brain operation.
I think the press played down the dangerous of this surgery.

One of my professor had died from the complication of this surgery.
He had never waken up from the surgery at all.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:09 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yun wrote:
Transphenoidal surgery is NOT a minor sugery. Too many things can go wrong.
It is still a serious brain operation.
I think the press played down the dangerous of this surgery.

One of my professor had died from the complication of this surgery.
He had never waken up from the surgery at all.

Yun, are you a medical student ???

Is acromegaly equivalent to the transphenoidal disease you mentioned ??

I REALLY HAVE NOT A CLUE !!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

IF THAT IS THE CASE,
then maybe this 7 ft 5 Russian giant better fix it before it is TOO LATE !!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Quote:
Is acromegaly equivalent to the transphenoidal disease you mentioned ??

Nope Acromegaly is the name of the condition when the patient has excessive growth hormone. In this case it is because he has a tumor in the brain at pituitary gland that produce this hormone.

The surgery will be performed through the nose by cutting through the sphenoidal bone in order to get into the brain.

It is a brain surgery and it is serious.

I hope he do well with the surgery, though.

I think the teams are afraid to commit to him until he had this surgery done.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 3:02 pm
Wait a minute, I though after you take out or reduce that tumor,
the person will get smaller. His hands, feet, body will get smaller, and may be get little shorter too??

Is this right?

Anyway, that's I saw on the Discovery Channel about this twin. The brother with Acromegaly had surgery and said that his hands and body were smaller now and he has stop growing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:31 am
User avatarPosts: 299Location: MalaysiaJoined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:35 am
If over-production of the human growth hormone(somatotrophin), occurs during childhood, when the bones are still capable of growth, be it length wise or diameter, the person becomes a 'giant' often reaching up to 8ft(2.5m) in height. The cause is a tumour of the pituitary gland.
This can be corrected by removal or irradiation of part of the pituitary gland.

However, if the same hormonal condition occurs in adulthood, the bones no longer grow lengthwise but in thickness, together with the growth of soft tissues. So this condition is called Acromegaly. A distinctive feature of acromegaly is the enlarging of the hands, feet, skull, nose and jawbone.

Just incase anyone was wondering

Mandara

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:08 am
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
Mandara wrote:
If over-production of the human growth hormone(somatotrophin), occurs during childhood, when the bones are still capable of growth, be it length wise or diameter, the person becomes a 'giant' often reaching up to 8ft(2.5m) in height. The cause is a tumour of the pituitary gland.

However, if the same hormonal condition occurs in adulthood, the bones no longer grow lengthwise but in thickness, together with the growth of soft tissues. So this condition is called Acromegaly. A distinctive feature of acromegaly is the enlarging of the hands, feet, skull, nose and jawbone.

Mandara

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 299Location: MalaysiaJoined: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:35 am
caojiong wrote:
Mandara wrote:

Mandara

LoL what did I do to cause such....ShOcK

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:33 pm
Bateer wrote:
Wait a minute, I though after you take out or reduce that tumor,
the person will get smaller. His hands, feet, body will get smaller, and may be get little shorter too??

Is this right?

Anyway, that's I saw on the Discovery Channel about this twin. The brother with Acromegaly had surgery and said that his hands and body were smaller now and he has stop growing.

Mandara wrote:
caojiong wrote:
Mandara wrote:

Mandara

LoL what did I do to cause such....ShOcK

Mandara, porbably caojiong was SHOCKED at your PROFOUND knowledge about the subject matter !!!!! :D :D :D

Anyway, THANKS for the information.

Wish to clarify one more point. If the tumour of the pituitary gland got removed or reduced, then the abnormal growth (of the hands, feet, skull, nose and jawbone) caused by Acromegaly would stop. But LOGICALLY AND SURELY, EVERYTHING WILL BE THE SAME AS BEFORE THE SURGERY AND NOT AS BATEER DESCRIBED, THAT THE HAND, THE FEET, THE JAW, THE SKULL OR THE HEIGHT WILL SHRINK DOWN BACK TO NORMAL SIZE, RIGHT ???

OR ELSE, THAT SOUNDS LIKE HORROR MOVIE OR HULK !!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline Profile