<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao is getting commercial???

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:35 am
I don't mean to undermine Yao as a basketball player, knowing that he can be a great one in the future. It's just that in my observation, he's taking too many endorsement deals. I'm hoping he's not selling out just because he thinks he's that good. I'd rather have him act more like Duncan, keeps on low profile and maintain a monstrous stats. The more endorsement deals he makes, the busier he becomes, not as a basketball player but as a businessman, and I don't think it'll be good for his career.
In addition to that, he'll be a bigger target to other players and critics. What do you think? Do you think he should maintain a low profile like TD or get busy like Shaq?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:59 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
I'm glad this came up, because I've been wondering about something. The decision to do all these commercials is not really his, right? Doesn't he have to do pretty much what he's told to do? Considering the fact that he has become sort of an ambassador for China, I would think his choices in life have become more complicated.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:14 pm
xraymom wrote:
I'm glad this came up, because I've been wondering about something. The decision to do all these commercials is not really his, right? Doesn't he have to do pretty much what he's told to do? Considering the fact that he has become sort of an ambassador for China, I would think his choices in life have become more complicated.

No, making commercials and pocketing $$$ is Yao's own decision - well, based on "team Yao's" recommendations of course. The Chinese gov have no control over Yao other then taking a big chunk of his salary and the requirement for Yao to compete for the national team - I think just the Olympics and the Asian games.
If Yao can be focused and intense like TD... OMG!!! Watch out folks!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Chinese government has taken about half of his salary and he has also have to pay tax in the U.S which can be another half of his salary. I think

Then it is also the agent, translator,etc that he has to pay from his salary from the rocket.

So I think that Yao's main income has to come from endorsment deal.
He does not get much comparing to Lebron . :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 2161Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:06 pm
Colin Pine's salary is covered by the Rox not Yao. This arrangement was for the 1st year but I don't know about the 2nd year as to who will pay for his $70K/yr job.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:13 pm
Yao pays 1/3 of Colins salary.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:30 am
I think no matter who's paying what, Yao is still making enough money compare to when he was still in China. I am not saying that he shouldn't make any endorsement deals at all, but I think he should take it one at a times. If you notice, since he came to US, he has made 4 deals. Apple, Gatorade, Visa, and now Pepsi. And he's only been here for LESS than a year, people!!! That's like one deal for every 3 months or more considering NBA season isn't exactly a year. I hope team Yao realizes this, because if they're selling too many, they'll burn out Yao's image.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:26 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Just wait and see. I do not see any conflict of interest right now. Yao continues to improve doesn't he.

He will be fine and rich.

Do not worry. :wink:

Offline Profile