<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao cried after the game against Nuggets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 1211Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:26 pm
http://sports.sohu.com/20041129/n223228471.shtml

this is new from sohu, i am not good at translating, so just briefly showing this article, after reading this, i kinda moved by Yao

Reported by Jun Wei Zhu
We can divide tears into two kinds, one is refelction of happiness, another one is called sadness.

Since knowing Yao in the elementary school, i only saw him cried twice, once was in the Olympics and another is tonight at Toyota Center.

Playing against Nuggets, Rockets and Yao hope to turnaround but the score 76:82 made Yao reaches the peak of sadness. If answing question after the game is not required by the official, Yao will choose sclience.

"Why whenever I come to the court play for the Rox, the gap is becoming larger." Yao said! Just when the journalist want to comfort him, he said, "this is the 4th game we lost in the home, right....." then his eyes filled with tears.....

He is so sad because he never expected this to happen. Even after a disappointing game with Jazz, Yao still hold confidence both for himself and the team. Just before tonight's game, Yao was chatting with the journalist, holding a doll, saying, we will come back tonight! That is his swear.

"I really want to hit the wall!! I was trying my best in the game as usual, I tried my best to do the offence and defence, I have no idea what went wrong. "
After saying that, finally he can't control it anymore, tears came out...... he use his hands trying to cover his eye, saying, i feel something is blocking me, i am not even sure whether i can overcome that!

I wish the best for Yao and believe he will overcome it, maybe tomorrow, maybe longer.......

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:15 pm
Posts: 135Location: New YorkJoined: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:08 pm
This reporter, Jun Wei Zhu, is a total a** *ole, I just don't think he should be writing an article like this and betray yao's trust. It looked to me like Yao was actually treating him like an old friend, and that's why yao showed his emotions. that should be kept private.

Yao should really stay the f*** away from these reporters.

but on the other hand, as a yao fan, we should really show some support for Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:17 pm
i say yao should be really involved with chronic to help him forget his problems :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:23 pm
oh man this stuff shouldnt be written.

Hate to say but it shows yao is soft. Not good for the nba.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 4321Location: Harvard MedJoined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:48 pm
Well, I think we've all had bumps in the road of life. Yao's going through his. Maybe crying in public isn't the best solution, but I'm pretty sure that in the end, things'll be alright. We know what he's capable of, and we know he can do it on a consistent basis, so that really isn't the question here.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:41 pm
Shaq admitted he cried after being swept by Hakeem and Rockets in the Finals. He claims that was the only the 2nd time he had cried in the his life (as an adult ). The other time was when his grandma died. Sometimes you just need to let go and reassert yourself. Maybe Yao can do that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:02 pm
chinese_fob wrote:
Shaq admitted he cried after being swept by Hakeem and Rockets in the Finals. He claims that was the only the 2nd time he had cried in the his life (as an adult ). The other time was when his grandma died. Sometimes you just need to let go and reassert yourself. Maybe Yao can do that.

That is nice of you to write this. It is true. No matter how strong you are, there are moments that you just could not overcome. The things that you tried so hard, sacrifice so much but failed. We should understand Yao is just a person. We have high hope for him but things do not always turn out in the good side. Looking back, he has already exceeded my highest expectations for a Chinese basketball player in NBA. I hope we all can support him to get through the darkest moments. Hey, that is what a true fan is, not only in the glorious time, but in his low.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
cyfjeff wrote:

this is new from sohu, i am not good at translating, so just briefly showing this article, after reading this, i kinda moved by Yao

Reported by Jun Wei Zhu
We can divide tears into two kinds, one is refelction of happiness, another one is called sadness.

Since knowing Yao in the elementary school, i only saw him cried twice, once was in the Olympics and another is tonight at Toyota Center.

Playing against Nuggets, Rockets and Yao hope to turnaround but the score 76:82 made Yao reaches the peak of sadness. If answing question after the game is not required by the official, Yao will choose sclience.

"Why whenever I come to the court play for the Rox, the gap is becoming larger." Yao said! Just when the journalist want to comfort him, he said, "this is the 4th game we lost in the home, right....." then his eyes filled with tears.....

He is so sad because he never expected this to happen. Even after a disappointing game with Jazz, Yao still hold confidence both for himself and the team. Just before tonight's game, Yao was chatting with the journalist, holding a doll, saying, we will come back tonight! That is his swear.

"I really want to hit the wall!! I was trying my best in the game as usual, I tried my best to do the offence and defence, I have no idea what went wrong. "
After saying that, finally he can't control it anymore, tears came out...... he use his hands trying to cover his eye, saying, i feel something is blocking me, i am not even sure whether i can overcome that!

I wish the best for Yao and believe he will overcome it, maybe tomorrow, maybe longer.......

Thanks for the post cyjeff. But as usual, lots of people will say Yao is soft, Yao is weak, etc etc after reading this. They will start bashing him and say Yao doesn't have the killer instinct, he is childish, etc... The transaltion was not the best, but I am sure you did your best and truly appreciate your efforts. However, some might misunderstand what was really being said. I hope someone can help in proofreading the translation.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:18 pm
HarmLess wrote:
cyfjeff wrote:

Reported by Jun Wei Zhu

Thanks for the post cyjeff. But as usual, lots of people will say Yao is soft, Yao is weak, etc etc after reading this. They will start bashing him and say Yao doesn't have the killer instinct, he is childish, etc... The transaltion was not the best, but I am sure you did your best and truly appreciate your efforts. However, some might misunderstand what was really being said. I hope someone can help in proofreading the translation.

I feel sorry for yao. I don't think the translation made any mistakes. Yao is suffering mentally and emotionally right now. This will either make him stronger, or he'll suffer a complete irreversible breakdown.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:44 pm
the world is a ****** cruel and unfair place.
I'm sorry for Yao's failures though. But first thing is first. Kick that punk ***** reporter out of ur circle. If any of my friends started reporting on me at my weakess I'd kick him out of my circle.

But back to subject.
This is one of the problems of Yao simply not being tough enough. Unofortunately its very much the case for many (NOT ALL but a significant number) single child chinese boys i'd known. Especially one thats been looked out for by the government. You compare Yao's attitude with the nba ballers who'd had to struggle out of the most rugged hoods and taking care of their family and even children. Its a case of maturity.
There is a point when Yao has got to stop seeing himself as a "little brother" and be a "man" for goodness sakes.
A 24 (25?) year old financially secure man shouldnt be living with his parents for starters.
There are a host of other examples of his lack of maturity and toughness.

Ofcourse i feel for Yao's struggles thus far. But this is the nba. Realize ur parents and friends arent gonna hold ur hands. Ur going to WAR everytime u step on the court against 12 mofo's who'd grown up in the most toughest places and those whole existence is based on ball.
Realise its a struggle of the fittest. Survive or die.

Rise up Yao my brother!

Offline Profile