<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao Ming Biography is due out in fall 2004

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:34 am
NY Daily News May 30, 2003

"Basketball continues to be very, very good to Yao Ming.

China's biggest export just signed a seven-figure deal to write a biography about his journey from his childhood in Shanghai to becoming the first foreign player selected as the NBA's No. 1 draft pick.

Brillstein-Grey Vice Chairman John Liebman, who represented the 7-foot-5 Ming, told us, "I've been pursuing this project for some time. It's a story that extends beyond basketball."

Miramax Books' Jonathan Burnham agreed that the tale, co-written with Ric Bucher, would be "a political and cultural adventure story as well."

The towering memoir is due out in fall 2004."

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 0229c.html

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:47 am
#1 Seller!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:47 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:57 pm
Posts: 55Location: http://www.yao-ming.tvJoined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:39 pm
2004 is too long to wait!!!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:41 am
It's too early for Yao to write an autobiography. What if he doesn't live up to expectations. He still has a long way to go in his basketball career. Like Bill Walton saids, all this fame and histeria could dissipate very quickly if Yao's on court performance doesn't catch up to the hype and frenzy. I just hope this doesn't jinx him. The publicity machine in this country is out of control. Everybody is writing books and making movie deals--just look at Jessica Lynch. Keshawn Johnson wrote a book after his first year in the NFL. He didn't flop but he wasn't great either. Hope yao can overcome this.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:55 am
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
Move over Harry Potter!!!!! :lol:

Anybody here read Hakeem's autobiography..it was excellent..if yall haven't read it yet, you might want to try it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:59 am
This kind of thing that worries me a lot about Yao. I agree that a biography is wayyyyyyyy to soon for him. He should've proved himself first on the court. All these deals and hypes are gonna haunt him if he's in the slump.
I think he's surrounded by ppl who wants to get rich fast by using him. He should've been more wiser....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
I think you're right about Team Yao. They're setting him up for a big fall, but fortunes will be made, so who cares?
If that happens, Yao will become a joke, and I will be forced to kick alot of *****. 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
I'm worring about the translation.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:09 am
dio wrote:
This kind of thing that worries me a lot about Yao. I agree that a biography is wayyyyyyyy to soon for him. He should've proved himself first on the court. All these deals and hypes are gonna haunt him if he's in the slump.
I think he's surrounded by ppl who wants to get rich fast by using him. He should've been more wiser....

I agree with you and others who think it's too early for a Yao bio. What is there to write about without a few MVP trophies and championship rings? Yao has just finished his rookie season, not his NBA career.
I can almost imagine the trite in the bio... Yao was bigger than all other kids while growing up (no duh)... had to face and overcome ridicule for being different (well that's news - since when kids are nice to each other?)... picked by the government to be trained into a bball player to represent mother China and bring home honor to her people (oh that stereotype of communist countries)... played in the government backed bball development program known as CBA and prospered (no duh again, Yao is 7'5" and everyone else is like 5'7")... got NBA scouts' attention and selected 1st in NBA draft (like no one knew about that)... played a decent rookie season amid all the public circus (another news to me)... made all kinds of $$$ making endorsement (yes, we have all seen the commercials - I still prefer Coke over Pepsi and won't buy Apples, sorry!)... has unlimited future, unlimited! (just more hype, plus, a bio should be about what occurred in the past)
Yep, Yao is surrounded by greedy bastards dying to make a quick buck off him. I for one will not buy the bio. To me Yao has not accomplished enough (in NBA terms). I'll buy one when Yao retires from the NBA with so much bling bling on his fingers that make him look hella tacky...

Offline Profile