<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  yang yi's yao interview on sina.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:09 pm
Posts: 1589Location: HoustonJoined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:06 am
http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2004-11-09/12221239754.shtml

some points ym addressed during the interview about his first 4 games of the season.

in the grizz game, at least 3 fouls on me were phony calls and i was never in a flow during that game.

surprised by t-mac's passes. his are better than sf's and i need to take a little time to get used to them. but once i do, they will only take me one step to put the ball in the net.

i told my teammates that right now it's no good for me to set a lot of picks. after the pnr, if i move to the inside then i'm not used to the new teammates' passes and i will fumble often; if i stay outside, i'm not hitting my jay's.

i feel my stamina is better than last year and i am not feeling any stamina problems right now.

not sure if i can score 20 pts a game this season (???), but i'm confident in 10 rebs a game coz i feel i'm better at it this year.

maybe someone, like pry, who has more time can do a better than my 5 minutes translation.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
he didn't say t-mac's passing is better than sf's...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:20 pm
man if yao has such a passve mentality on offense then now we know why he is struggling lately heck he even misses his lay ups, if he is always on the receiving end of t-macs passes and keeps on scoring in the paint heck just give him a week of scoring in the 20's and then i think he would take back what he said about im not dropping 20 a game

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:22 pm
that what i dont like about yao. He doesent have that mentality. Saying things like i dont know if i can score 20 shows he lacks confidence. Become mentally strong. :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
rockets111 wrote:
that what i dont like about yao. He doesent have that mentality. Saying things like i dont know if i can score 20 shows he lacks confidence. Become mentally strong. :P

Yeah... Do what Dampier did. Proclaim himself the 2nd best center in the NBA... :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:55 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
rockets111 wrote:

Can you read and understand Chinese? If you can, I'll recommend you read the article in full before replying just based on Chuck's excerpts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:26 am
pry,

can you translate the article for the rest of us who don't read Chinese.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:27 am
pry,

can you please translate the article for the rest of us who don't read Chinese.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:54 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Here you go with the Interview. :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Quote:

The Basketball Pioneers: (You got) 8 points/4 rebounds yesterday. Today, it was 33 points/12 rebounds. You only slept on the plane. Why was there such a vast difference?

Yao Ming: Actually it was 2; I slept on the plane; when I arrived home it was 05:00am. I took another nap. Playing at home court is different from not playing at home court. In Memphis, there were at least 3 dubious foul calls against me. Today I had a full stretch of play minutes. Yesterday my play minutes were all torn to pieces that there was no way I can play.

The Basketball Pioneers: Yesterday, it was 30 points/10 assists for T-Mac. Today, both of you were fantastic. After these 2 matches, what do you think about T-Mac's game?

Yao Ming: I'm not surprised at all for T-Mac to score that many points, as I knew he is the NBA scoring champion. I'm more surprised at his ball passing. He really knows how to pass out his balls beautifully. I need to spend sometime to adapt to his passing. His passing is different to Franics'. Maybe because Francis is short; sometimes his passes were difficult ones, and the ball flutters in. Now T-Mac is taller. When he jumps up in the 3-second zone, he can see the four angles of the paint, and his balls come flying in like cannons. I fumbled in 2 of those passes in Memphis just because I had yet to get accustomed to them. Once I get used to them, I can put them away with one step.

The Basketball Pioneers: Before today, it seemed that you had not gelled in with the offense systems and your FG% was just 40%.

Yao Ming: I played 3 games, and I had only 3 true low post attacks; altogether just 3, and I've put them all away.

The Basketball Pioneers: So did you talk this over with your team mates ?

Yao Ming: I've told them that it is no good for me to set those picks now. Once I set up the pick, I run in and very often I can't catch their pass. If I stay put, then it is too far away that my jumpers won't fall. So what happened today in the 4th quarter, they just let me attack from the low post. My number of shot attempts tonight was even greater than the sum of my previous 3 matches. Actually at the beginning, I was not too sure about my shooting touches. The first few were by hitting the boards. But then gradually I knew my shooting touch was great for the night, and most shots went in.

The Basketball Pioneers: It was 4 matches in 5 nights. Have you got any stamina problems?

Yao Ming: No problem. At least no problem for me. How can I have problem when I had to sit and rest most of the time for the Memphis game? I thought my physical strnegth have improved a lot when compared to last season. In the past, I got tired 5 minutes into the match. Now I can play 8 or 9 minutes before I feel exhausted.

The Basketball Pioneers: A lot of people predict you will have a 20/10 season. It seemed very difficult in your earlier matches, but it looked so easy in this match. What do you think?

Yao Ming: I dare not say 20 ppg now as our team still requires time for gelling. But I have full confidence on the rebounds. I felt I've improved in my rebounding than last season. I have snatched 19 in my first 2 matches. In Memphis, my play minutes were too few. I think my rebound per game this season will be above 10 rebounds.

The Basketball Pioneers: You are now grabbing more rebounds because your power forwards are inferior to last year's. Now 4 games past. Every of the power forwards of your opponent team scored > 20 points against your team. Are Maurice Taylor and Juswan Howard different to Kelvin Cato ?

Yao Ming: Mo and Juswan are nearly the same type of players. They are the offensive type. Therefore it made not much difference of who was on the court to play. Last year, other players helped me on the rebound. This year I need to help them on the rebounds.

The Basketball Pioneers: Some people predict that your team will trade some players in the intermediate stage of the season. Do you believe that?

Yao Ming: No one has discussed this with me as of now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:04 am
User avatarPosts: 1008Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:26 pm
lol your Chinese and translation skills are worse than mine.

once again pry is there... where will we be without you... :D :) :o :lol: 8) :shock: :wink: :P

and sieya, reduce hot asian powerdancer avatar please :oops:

Offline Profile