<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao's Biography: Yao: A Life in Two Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:40 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
TODAY'S THE DAY!!!! :D
I'm gonna see Yao tonight!!!!
Getting my book signed... I'll be within three feet of the man... OH MY GOD!!!! :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:35 pm
This is it... two hours to go...
I've got my rookie jersey, my "King of the Rockets" hat, and my book. Now, if I can just avoid fainting at the sight of him, I'll be a very, very happy girl! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:18 pm
xraymom wrote:
This is it... two hours to go...
I've got my rookie jersey, my "King of the Rockets" hat, and my book. Now, if I can just avoid fainting at the sight of him, I'll be a very, very happy girl! :D

Don't forget a camera!!!!!!!! we wanna see pics!!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:29 pm
frontierboy wrote:
tharock220 wrote:
What the hell is going on here? Yao isn't even 24 years old yet and he's got a biography? It's becoming a craze here in the U.S. for a person with any kind of celebrity to write a biography, but I've never seen it done by somebody so young. Is this going to be like a series of installments? 0-23, 24-47, 48-71, 72-dead?????
Yes,i just feel the same way,I think we should ask Yao why?

When people are yearning to know, and there's money to be made - and to a lesser extent, a good story to be told - rest assured a biography will be written; it's as simple as that. Besides, who's gonna buy his book when he is 80 and no longer the latest 'hot stuff'?

Yao could have told his story through news media, but why not make a few bucks through a book?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:43 pm
frontierboy wrote:
I hate Chinese Government,go to hell.
Everybody,please think about it,if Chinese Government release Yao to the NBA ahead of one year he has been selected by Houston,i bet Michael Jordon will select him as the center instead of the high-school-kid,how much will Yao learn from MJ technically and mentally,that would be a priceless heritage for Yao,that would be much easier for MJ to reach the offseason,if so,MJ will not retire so soon. :twisted:
Second,they baned WangZZ form the National Team cunningly.What did they say,Wang was not willing to join,Ohhh,who will believe them.As you know,Chinese are patriots.
Not even mention how much they extorted Yao.

No question the Chinese government/basketball authorities has a lot to improve, but I seriously doubt MJ would have pick Yao over Kwame Brown - MJ thought Kwame was the sh*t (the man). You see, MJ was a great player, but was down right lousy when it comes to being a GM
MJ has great influence on his teammates?!? I'm sure he does but it is not as significant as you like to believe. Just look at the crappy Wizard players the few years MJ played and you'll know what I mean - not to mention Kwame Brown himself.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:39 pm
what's the scoop on the Yao book signing? Thanks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:14 am
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
I went to the Yao Ming book signing last night with my book in hand and clad in the Yao red Rockets jersey and Yao Ming cap. When I arrived at the designated time of 7.30 pm, the Borders staffer announced that they would only guarantee signatures ending at a guy who was about 6 places ahead of me. Nevertheless, I along with about 100 others behind me remained in line and our perseverance paid off!
After a long wait in a line that snaked around the upper floor of the store, I finally saw Yao seated at the head table. When I got there, I told Yao that I was his #1 fan, what a pleasure it was to meet him in person, and I wish him success in bringing a championship to Houston. He didn't respond, but nodded his head, all the while Colin Pine was standing next to him translating into Chinese. After Yao signed my book, I thanked him, and touched his left hand.....he kind of refused to shake my hand...understandable since there were hundreds, if not a few thousand people there to see him.
I had someone take a picture of me with Yao, then I took a few more of him sitting and signing. It was a memorable experience and I will treasure my Yao autographed book for a long time.
Did any other YMM members go to the book signing?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:52 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
yao1fan wrote:
Did any other YMM members go to the book signing?

WHY did you ask this question ??

I thought XrayMom said she went there too. Did you accompany her there??

So something's wrong with you two ??? (BREAK UP ALREADY ???) :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry:

Anyway, thanks for sharing your memorable experience with us.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 am
I am such a dweeb! :oops:
When I got there at 6:30, there was already a pretty good line. I was so excited I was going to get to see him up close! I see Colin over to one side, and think wouldn't it be fun to say hey to him too, then I peek through the people in front of me, and I saw the top of Yao's head, and that's where it all fell apart.
All of a sudden, my throat closes up, my face turns beet red, and it's my turn!! He signs my book, and I can tell he's looking at me, maybe reading my hat (it says "king of the rockets" in Chinese characters) but for the life of me, I can't raise my eyes. I just take the book, smiling like an idiot, and turn away.
Doh!
My one chance to look into Yao Ming's eyes and I blew it!!!
:roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:45 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
xraymom wrote:
My one chance to look into Yao Ming's eyes and I blew it!!!
:roll:

You sure blew it !!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

You should say: Do you remember XrayGirl ?? My 10-yr-old daughter who offered to buy you dinner to celebrate your birthday with the money she saved for her guitar ??

Yao Ming should remember that.

Offline Profile