<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao's Biography: Yao: A Life in Two Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
sorry, Pry... I was incapable of intelligent speech at the moment... :?

Besides, the poor guy had enough to worry about. An employee of Borders was going around telling us the wait wouldn't be long, that Yao was signing at a pace of about 100 signatures in 15 minutes. Can you imagine??? I wonder if his hand cramped up? Poor Yao!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:30 pm
xraymom wrote:
I am such a dweeb! :oops:
When I got there at 6:30, there was already a pretty good line. I was so excited I was going to get to see him up close! I see Colin over to one side, and think wouldn't it be fun to say hey to him too, then I peek through the people in front of me, and I saw the top of Yao's head, and that's where it all fell apart.
All of a sudden, my throat closes up, my face turns beet red, and it's my turn!! He signs my book, and I can tell he's looking at me, maybe reading my hat (it says "king of the rockets" in Chinese characters) but for the life of me, I can't raise my eyes. I just take the book, smiling like an idiot, and turn away.
Doh!
My one chance to look into Yao Ming's eyes and I blew it!!!
:roll:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure most people felt the same way ie nervous and tongue tied. I'd be nervous too, but the experience would definitely be thrilling, and unforgettable.

Psst..how much do you want for that signed book?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 727Location: ShanghaiJoined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:36 am
ayaomingfan wrote:
xraymom wrote:
I am such a dweeb! :oops:
When I got there at 6:30, there was already a pretty good line. I was so excited I was going to get to see him up close! I see Colin over to one side, and think wouldn't it be fun to say hey to him too, then I peek through the people in front of me, and I saw the top of Yao's head, and that's where it all fell apart.
All of a sudden, my throat closes up, my face turns beet red, and it's my turn!! He signs my book, and I can tell he's looking at me, maybe reading my hat (it says "king of the rockets" in Chinese characters) but for the life of me, I can't raise my eyes. I just take the book, smiling like an idiot, and turn away.
Doh!
My one chance to look into Yao Ming's eyes and I blew it!!!
:roll:

Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure most people felt the same way ie nervous and tongue tied. I'd be nervous too, but the experience would definitely be thrilling, and unforgettable.

Psst..how much do you want for that signed book?

Now...if you'd only told him you were xraymom, then for sure he would have taken you aside for a chat! :D :wink:

But you 'met' him and got the book signed anyway....sigh

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:38 am
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
It's funny how we all freeze up and our best laid plans go awry in a situation where you're about to meet your idol.
I too was mumbling and rambling which I guess is why Yao just kept staring at me, and Colin Pine was translating. Man, there was so much more I wanted to tell Yao like whether he intends to take a greater leadership role, becoming more aggressive, and inviting him to visit YMM to see what his best fans have to say about him. Oh well, guess we'll have to rely on John to do so when he gets another opportunity to interview Yao.
All the while, it felt like I was on a stopwatch, and I better get moving since my 5 seconds of fame had long expired.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
I must confess I felt the same meeting William Hung the first time

:lol:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
OOLONG48 wrote:
Finally, I bought one. PR, go to the Commercial Press(商務印書館). It costs $218HKD only.

I finished it last night. PR, do you want to borrow my book. If you do, you are no. 8 on my waiting list. You need to be patient because most of my friends are slow readers. :wink:

My favourite part is when Yao talked about cars.

Quote:
...If I do become a car dealer, I will have to tell my customers the cars are secondhand, because I will drive all of them first.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, Happy Halloween tomorrow!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:57 am
User avatarPosts: 948Location: Washington, DCJoined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm
i found yao's book on sina.com.cn:
http://book.news.sina.com.cn/nzt/109749 ... ndex.shtml

it's in chinese...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:11 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
ZingyDNA wrote:
i found yao's book on sina.com.cn:
http://book.news.sina.com.cn/nzt/109749 ... ndex.shtml

it's in chinese...

Well go back about 40 posts on this thread.....and about 3,800 posts on the forum, you'll know that I've posted this on October 12, almost 3 weeks ao !!! :shock: :P :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#112598

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 948Location: Washington, DCJoined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:52 pm
i kinda knew it although i didn't see ur post, pry.
u seem to know everything. u r a true yaomaniac :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:28 pm
wow, this book is really a wonderful perspective on Yao's life. I'm finding him to be incredibly open and reflective in it. while I was wavering before because I don't really usually buy books, the $17 I spent on this was totally worth it.

Offline Profile WWW