<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao's Biography: Yao: A Life in Two Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:11 pm
User avatarPosts: 351Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:42 am
Yao's Biography is on sale! I wonder how he had time to write.

[quote]
Book Description
Since Yao Ming's electrifying NBA debut with the Houston Rockets in 2002, the 7-foot-5 Chinese center has appeared in numerous TV commercials, on magazine covers, and in countless basketball-highlights reels. And yet, despite Yao's status as one of the country's most recognizable sports stars, the remarkable story of how a shy, gangly kid from Shanghai went on to become the NBA's first foreign-born and developed #1 draft pick has remained, until now, largely unknown.

With this memoir, Yao reveals himself as a thoughtful, opinionated young man whose insights extend far beyond the basketball court. He paints a compelling portrait of how his parents, both former Chinese basketball stars and fully aware of the bleak outlook for ex-players, resisted the Chinese government's interest in steering their son into the sport as a child. But the love of the game took hold of Yao as a teenager, and he began to sense both his own potential and the restraints he would face from the bureaucrats who ran the sport. As Yao's success in China grew, it became clear that his future would be with the NBA. But nothing came easily. With riveting detail, Yao recounts the white-knuckle gamesmanship required to win the approval of Chinese officials for his leap to America.

Yao: A Life in Two Worlds vividly chronicles Yao's move from Shanghai to Houston: The sudden millionaire has to learn to drive his newly acquired car; the young man who has only ever had one girlfriend tries to make sense of pro-basketball's hard-partying life off-court; the supremely dominant player in China is transformed into a NBA rookie unnerved at the prospect of facing Shaquille O'Neal. But soon enough, aided by his easygoing manner and sense of humor that has proved so appealing to fans, Yao finds his moorings and flourishes as a major NBA star with a worldwide following.

Sports writer Ric Bucher spent hundreds of hours in conversation with Yao in the U.S. and China, closely tracking the player's feelings and observations during that historic first season with the Rockets. Yao: A Life in Two Worlds is an inspiring account of how one man's faith in himself, hard work, and drive have taken him from national success story to international icon

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
DingYao wrote:
Yao's Biography is on sale! I wonder how he had time to write.

Well he did not have to write it. Ric Bucher is the author, and probably Yao Ming only provided a couple of interviews to that guy, and the rest could be from research.

Anyway, it is going to be on for public sales in New York next week I heard.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:42 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
OOPPSS...... I was wrong. :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: The book is not going to be on sales until the end of this month. Probably will have to wait until Yao Ming goes back to USA !!!

That's how the cover of Yao Ming's autobiography will look like !!

Xinhua.org wrote:

Big Yao to launch English autobiography

BEIJING, Sep. 3 (Xinhuanet) -- Chinese NBA center Yao Ming is to launch his English autobiography in New York City at the end of this month.

Themed "Yao: A Life in Two Worlds", the book sheds light on Yao Ming's first year playing in the NBA. It also contains comments from his teammates and coaches. China Radio International reported Thursday.

The 256-page book is a collaboration between Yao Ming and ESPN's sports journalist Ric Bucher.

It is published by Miramax Books, and will be sold at 22.95 US dollars.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
geeeez 22 US, that is some expensive book.

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:34 pm
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
That's the usual price for hardcovers....some are more expensive than that. However, there is usually a 10 to 25% retail discount when it is first promoted.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:32 pm
Okay got more details about the launch of this auto-biography:-

http://sports.sohu.com/20040904/n221875964.shtml

:arrow: "Yao: A Life in 2 Worlds" will be released the 22th of September.
:arrow: Yao Ming will be in New York on the 28th at Rockafella Centre to promote his book

So for you guys in New York, look out for this opportunity to get an autograph from Yao Ming on his autobiography !!! :shock: :P :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:44 pm
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
pryuen wrote:
OOPPSS...... I was wrong. :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: The book is not going to be on sales until the end of this month. Probably will have to wait until Yao Ming goes back to USA !!!

That's how the cover of Yao Ming's autobiography will look like !!

Xinhua.org wrote:

Big Yao to launch English autobiography

BEIJING, Sep. 3 (Xinhuanet) -- Chinese NBA center Yao Ming is to launch his English autobiography in New York City at the end of this month.

Themed "Yao: A Life in Two Worlds", the book sheds light on Yao Ming's first year playing in the NBA. It also contains comments from his teammates and coaches. China Radio International reported Thursday.

The 256-page book is a collaboration between Yao Ming and ESPN's sports journalist Ric Bucher.

It is published by Miramax Books, and will be sold at 22.95 US dollars.

My god what a sucky cover.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 200Location: UniverseJoined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:05 am
It is said that yao will donate all revenue from this book to the foundation of disabled people.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:19 pm
yaofanhk wrote:
It is said that yao will donate all revenue from this book to the foundation of disabled people.

YUP. That was what he disclosed to the media in Shanghai during the greetings of the Shanghai Olympians by the Shanghai Municipality leaders.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/p/2004-09-0 ... 3190.shtml

In summary:

:arrow: He will continue to stay in Shanghai for the next 2 weeks or so for complete rest, time with family and friends.

:arrow: He will depart for USA on September 20th. Stay in San Francisco for a few days, and have medical check, before reporting back to Houston Rockets.

:arrow: He got 2 special awards by the Shanghai mayor: "The Labour Model of Shanghia" and the "Sniper Model of the New Long March of Shanghai". He felt embarrassed/ashamed for getting the above honours as he felt those gold medallists like Liu Xiang or Wu Minxia deserved the awards better, as the basketball national team ended up only 8th.

:arrow: As to his autobiography, he said most of the contents were his own words/works. He spent almost 400 hours with Ric Bucher in the past 2 years on the book. It will include a lot of insider look of how Yao Ming grew and develop in his first NBA season, his head-to-head matches with Shaquille O'Neal, the media hype and pressure, how he struggled and seeked balance between conflicting cultures, and some of the behind-the-scene stories of how NBA authorities approached CBA and Shanghai Sharks, and the eventual CBA approved of his release to NBA, and the % of split of his salary to CBA/Shanghai Sharks etc.

:arrow: He is prepared to donate the revenue from the sales of his book to the Special Olympic Foundation and a few other funds for disabled people. As the global spokeperson for the Special Olympics, he wished his action could contribute to the global community of the disabled.

:arrow: His autobiography will be released in USA and China simultaneously i.e. English and Chinese version. When asked about whether he's worried about the sales of his autobiography, he said: "I heard that Shaq's autobiography sold well in US. I don't think mine will sell too bad."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:31 am
User avatarPosts: 4156Location: Welcome to Ca|i Ca|i!!!!!!!Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:22 pm
yao seems to be doing alot of charity works. that is cool.

Offline Profile