<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao and Bateer -funny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:35 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
CantonKid wrote:
i hear bateer was a mongolian wrestler/boxer??!! can someone confrim this?

Never heard of this crap. Bateer is a Mongolian, but he took up basketball very early at the age of 9, as he was excpetionally tall at that tender age already. :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 66Location: Home of the TigersJoined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:14 am
CantonKid wrote:
omfg...
rolfmfao

thats some funny ******.

i feel bad for bateer.

if its true, i want him on the rox now to be our dennis rodman. 6 hard fouls on amare's ***** will land him in the infirmary lol..

all yao has to do is translate for bateer...

"My teammate Bateer knows kung fu. He's not afraid to bust j00 ugly ***** if you touch my body... and if you go down under, he'll powerbomb j00 ***** to the hardwood"

:lol:

If the Rox sign him, Bateer will have tatoos that'll say "Don't mess with Yao" on one arm and "These 6 are for you" on the other.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:43 pm
User avatarPosts: 3321Location: L AJoined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:07 am
bnguye7 wrote:
CantonKid wrote:
omfg...
rolfmfao

thats some funny ******.

i feel bad for bateer.

if its true, i want him on the rox now to be our dennis rodman. 6 hard fouls on amare's ***** will land him in the infirmary lol..

all yao has to do is translate for bateer...

"My teammate Bateer knows kung fu. He's not afraid to bust j00 ugly ***** if you touch my body... and if you go down under, he'll powerbomb j00 ***** to the hardwood"

:lol:

If the Rox sign him, Bateer will have tatoos that'll say "Don't mess with Yao" on one arm and "These 6 are for you" on the other.

to pry: i say bateer should learn shaolin kung fu and pull something like shaolin basketball similar to shaolin soccer!

he can be like that guy who can hold the soccer ball using his stomach... just get the basketball and fire it like a cannon at anyone trying to rub yao in the wrong place.

or

Bateer can pull a Bruce Lee bad ***** brutality on some ugly ***** trying to mess w/ yao.

i dont know where but i heard he used to be a mongolian wrestler! (crosses fingers) We dont need him for b-ball .. we need him for war. Basketball is war! Its a battle where the enemies ploy the cheapest tricks in the book. Bateer is gonna be our bad ***** mofo who will enforce the 6 hard fouls on anyone trying to mess w/ yao w/ a Kung POW!

and bnguye7, funny tattoo ******... lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:15 pm
My bad - Bateer (pronounced bah-tur) actually means "eternal hero".
This title/name was traditionally given to great Mongolian warriors
and in time has been adopted in other cultures as well. The
Indian name "Bahadur" is derived from the same name.
Also, while I do not have direct information as to whether
Bateer wrestled, wrestling, archery, and horsemenship
have been for many centuries the primary traditional Mongolian
"manly arts" and the basis for the annual "Kadaam" festival in
(Outer) Mongolia each summer in which Mongolian men competed.
It is not unlikely that Bateer engaged in wrestling while growing up,
either as part of childhood playing or his school's sports curriculum.
After all, wrestling is much more of a traditional activity in among the Mongolian people than basketball. As for the efficacy of Mongolian
wrestling, archery, and horsemanship, remember that Chinggis
(preferred spelling among scholars to "Genghis") Khan's armies
were the most successful conquerors in history. Bateer is big
and strong as it is. If it turns out that he is skilled in wrestling,
then he would be an even more formadible presence besides
Yao, and could serve notice to opposing players not to mess
with Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:30 am
User avatarPosts: 636Location: Expect more than others think is possible.Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:38 am
Agreed.....hey Carrol Dawson...sign this player now!! :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:46 am
SuperMinh wrote:
Agreed.....hey Carrol Dawson...sign this player now!! :P

CD, don't do it! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Well someone by the name of Zoe Huang contributed the following report/article to Bill Ingram, the "The Rocket Guy" on Hoopsworld about Bateer and the Houston Rockets.

Anyone knows who Zoe Huang is ??? Do you think he is one of us here on YMM ?? And what do you guys think about his analysis and the likelihood of Bateer joining ??? :shock: :roll: :idea: :?: 8)

Zoe Huang on Hoopsworld wrote:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_9189.shtml

The Rockets Report
By Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 29, 2004, 14:17

With all of the talk about the Rockets' point guard vacancy, there is one position that has been overlooked by most. The Rockets also lost their only back-up center in the trade with Orlando. Yao Ming is doing some politicking this summer, and he may have the solution to this dilemma.

Anything you have read about the Rockets over the past couple of weeks has undoubtedly focused on the fact that they don't have a starting point guard on their roster. One by one the candidates have slipped away. Brent Barry to San Antonio, Derek Fisher to Golden State, Antonio Daniels staying in Seattle, Gary Payton staying in Los Angeles, Mike James pricing himself out of Houston's budget, and Damon Jones feeling reluctant to return to a team that spurned him in favor of Tierre Brown a few years back. Charlie Ward appears to be the leading candidate for the money Houston is able to offer. Meanwhile, the Rockets have another hole to fill. A bigger hole.

The Rockets need a back-up center, and that's no small order. Kelvin Cato was a very capable back-up to Yao Ming, especially since he was able to expand his versatility to include starting at the power forward position. Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy used a platoon method to keep either Yao or Cato in the game most of the time, but also worked Maurice Taylor and Clarence Weatherspoon into the rotation to spell the starting front line. With Cato gone and Juwan Howard taking his place in the four spot, the Rockets are missing that back-up center role that Cato filled to well. While Howard is a very capable scorer and rebounds about as well as Cato did (which is not great, by any stretch), he is not a good enough defender to play the center spot as Cato did. Someone will have to be brought in to fill that void - but who?

Well, why not let the franchise player do his thing? Most teams allow their franchise players to influence personnel moves, and Yao Ming is now the undisputed franchise player in Houston. He should be given the free reign to do what Steve Francis did when he talked Cuttino Mobley into staying in Houston for less than he could have made on the open market. The Rockets should let Yao Ming bring his internationally renowned "Walking Wall" to Houston.

Yao Ming and Mengke Bateer know each other well. They have been playing together on the Chinese National team for years. Bateer is used to doing the dirty work more or less behind the scenes while Yao Ming gets all of the spotlight and the glory. He more or less plays the role Charles Oakley played for Patrick Ewing in New York. He plays good defense, rebounds well, and - perhaps most importantly - plays body guard for Yao Ming. He doesn't let Yao get pushed around, and that's something Yao misses when he's away from his Chinese team. The Rockets have no such enforcer or body guard to help Yao out. There would also be the added benefit of having Bateer, who is intimately familiar with Yao Ming's game, to bang with Yao in practice. And don't underestimate the fact that Yao and Mengke can communicate openly on the court without any danger of being understood by any of the defenders. There are very few NBA players who speak Chinese.

Mengke has been around the NBA, never really catching on anywhere. Stints with Denver, San Antonio, and Toronto have done little to create an image for Mengke that would make him much of a commodity in the NBA free agent market. At 7'0" 290 lbs. he is big enough that he generates plenty of interest. He simply has failed to show the capacity to be an impact player. When paired with Yao Ming, however, he is seen as part of a formidable front line. So formidable that the two together are known as the "Walking Wall." That wall might be just what the Rockets need.

As much as anything the Rockets need an affordable option at the back-up center spot. If that person happens to be 7'0" 290 lbs. and a good friend of Yao Ming, that's a bonus. Mengke Bateer can be had for the minimum, he brings a toughness and a familiarity with Yao, and he has nothing but upside at this point. The "Walking Wall" will not bring a championship to Houston, but it could certainly take care of the shortage the Rockets are facing in the front line. Then they can move on to worrying about who will run the point.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:22 am
User avatarPosts: 3321Location: L AJoined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:07 am
pryuen wrote:
Well someone by the name of Zoe Huang contributed the following report/article to Bill Ingram, the "The Rocket Guy" on Hoopsworld about Bateer and the Houston Rockets.

Anyone knows who Zoe Huang is ??? Do you think he is one of us here on YMM ?? And what do you guys think about his analysis and the likelihood of Bateer joining ??? :shock: :roll: :idea: :?: 8)

Zoe Huang on Hoopsworld wrote:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_9189.shtml

The Rockets Report
By Bill "The Rocket Guy" Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 29, 2004, 14:17

With all of the talk about the Rockets' point guard vacancy, there is one position that has been overlooked by most. The Rockets also lost their only back-up center in the trade with Orlando. Yao Ming is doing some politicking this summer, and he may have the solution to this dilemma.

Anything you have read about the Rockets over the past couple of weeks has undoubtedly focused on the fact that they don't have a starting point guard on their roster. One by one the candidates have slipped away. Brent Barry to San Antonio, Derek Fisher to Golden State, Antonio Daniels staying in Seattle, Gary Payton staying in Los Angeles, Mike James pricing himself out of Houston's budget, and Damon Jones feeling reluctant to return to a team that spurned him in favor of Tierre Brown a few years back. Charlie Ward appears to be the leading candidate for the money Houston is able to offer. Meanwhile, the Rockets have another hole to fill. A bigger hole.

The Rockets need a back-up center, and that's no small order. Kelvin Cato was a very capable back-up to Yao Ming, especially since he was able to expand his versatility to include starting at the power forward position. Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy used a platoon method to keep either Yao or Cato in the game most of the time, but also worked Maurice Taylor and Clarence Weatherspoon into the rotation to spell the starting front line. With Cato gone and Juwan Howard taking his place in the four spot, the Rockets are missing that back-up center role that Cato filled to well. While Howard is a very capable scorer and rebounds about as well as Cato did (which is not great, by any stretch), he is not a good enough defender to play the center spot as Cato did. Someone will have to be brought in to fill that void - but who?

Well, why not let the franchise player do his thing? Most teams allow their franchise players to influence personnel moves, and Yao Ming is now the undisputed franchise player in Houston. He should be given the free reign to do what Steve Francis did when he talked Cuttino Mobley into staying in Houston for less than he could have made on the open market. The Rockets should let Yao Ming bring his internationally renowned "Walking Wall" to Houston.

Yao Ming and Mengke Bateer know each other well. They have been playing together on the Chinese National team for years. Bateer is used to doing the dirty work more or less behind the scenes while Yao Ming gets all of the spotlight and the glory. He more or less plays the role Charles Oakley played for Patrick Ewing in New York. He plays good defense, rebounds well, and - perhaps most importantly - plays body guard for Yao Ming. He doesn't let Yao get pushed around, and that's something Yao misses when he's away from his Chinese team. The Rockets have no such enforcer or body guard to help Yao out. There would also be the added benefit of having Bateer, who is intimately familiar with Yao Ming's game, to bang with Yao in practice. [b]And don't underestimate the fact that Yao and Mengke can communicate openly on the court without any danger of being understood by any of the defenders. [/b]There are very few NBA players who speak Chinese.

Mengke has been around the NBA, never really catching on anywhere. Stints with Denver, San Antonio, and Toronto have done little to create an image for Mengke that would make him much of a commodity in the NBA free agent market. At 7'0" 290 lbs. he is big enough that he generates plenty of interest. He simply has failed to show the capacity to be an impact player. When paired with Yao Ming, however, he is seen as part of a formidable front line. So formidable that the two together are known as the "Walking Wall." That wall might be just what the Rockets need.

As much as anything the Rockets need an affordable option at the back-up center spot. If that person happens to be 7'0" 290 lbs. and a good friend of Yao Ming, that's a bonus. Mengke Bateer can be had for the minimum, he brings a toughness and a familiarity with Yao, and he has nothing but upside at this point. The "Walking Wall" will not bring a championship to Houston, but it could certainly take care of the shortage the Rockets are facing in the front line. Then they can move on to worrying about who will run the point.

haha

speaking mandarin on the court..

it might actually help bateer since I think he's slow on english. yao can just translate to mandarin simple stuff like "kick that mofo's *****!" "bust his nuts" "do the mongolian dance!"

like i said, a cheap bad ***** enforced like bateer is what rox need temp for backup center. i hope CD doesnt give him some ridictulous contract. minimum wage is waht we need for the "walking wall."

i can see the miami vs. houston game

bateer vs. wang
yao vs. shaq

lol

bateer will prob kick wang's ***** for the chinese govt. for deserting the natl. team.

i think bateer is ok for backup. i expect yao to play abou 35-40 mpg with bateer playing the filler minutes.

It'll be good to get bateer out of unemployment and back into the work force. I think Colin Pine might have a new client and a second job :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:31 am
Zoe is a girl's name. I really like the idea of having Bateer as Yao's backup center. I also recommend that they bring back Amaechi for the minimum as well. Yao plays 30-35 minutes, Bateer plays as many minutes as he can (he picks up way too many fouls, so who knows, he could foul out in 10 minutes which I think has happened before) and Amaechi picks up the scraps. Amaechi is a soft ***** Brit, but he has decent skills, and hell, you only need a big body to play during trash time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:31 am
User avatarPosts: 971Location: New York & PhilippinesJoined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:17 pm
I remember seeing a pic of Bateer taking down Shaq so hard that Shaq was on the floor covering his face. Looked like he got powerbombed. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile