<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao Ming interested in buying Clippers, report says

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:19 am
How to quote your net worth?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 am
Yeah, he's not the owner, only the GM. He works for his boss.

The owners are Beijing Capital Steel corporation and Beijing Golden Corner Real Estate corporation.

pryuen wrote:
superjohn wrote:
His uncle owns the Beijing CBA team. right? Maybe he directshoot is a billionaire as well.

His maternal uncle Yuan Chao 袁超 worked for Beijing Jinyu Capital Steel Ducks for close to 40 years, and had been promoted through the rank as player, assistant coach, coach, Deputy General Manager and now General Manager. That means he is just an EMPLOYEE 打工仔, and he does not OWN the Beijing team.:roll: :roll: :roll:

Besides even if his uncle is a billionaire, his personal net worth has NOTHING TO DO with DirectShoot. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 am
And this is a better pic for him I think.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:43 pm
directshoot wrote:
And this is a better pic for him I think.

Is your uncle a billionaire?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:31 pm
Not yet, lol.
GM is a tiring position. See Morey for example. He works for the president/owner of the club.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 am
pryuen wrote:
battousai wrote:

I personally doubt a team of Yao and asian investors would get this bidding going. This is a pipe dream for China but not so much for US. NBA wont allow this. Take a look at the Nets.

The best ideal situation would be Yao getting majority of investors from US, This will increase Yao's chance as a figure head owner of the team, thus allowing US NBA/investors crack into China's market and Yao back into NBA in some form. This is why I think Grant Hill's name was throw into the mix. Not because he has the money, but he has the connections.

Well, I think you mixed up the information available so far.:roll: :roll: :roll:

Grant Hill is forming HIS OWN consortium to bid for LA Clippers. It has NOTHING to do with what Yao is doing.

Don't think Yao Ming has the NECESSARY CONNECTIONS in US to form such a consortium.

And I don't think NBA will object to Chinese owning a NBA team. Since Yao Ming's retirement, the NBA fever in China had died down. NBA does want to get the Chinese market back.

Maybe its true as it depends on where the article from or whom written it at the time.

However, I still personally think a team Yao made up of not solely Chinese Investors would be the best bet. NBA needs and wants the Chinese Market, having Yao as the figure head will accomplish that goal.

Clippers is the up and raising team and will be the cash cow for LA, NBA will not let this fat meat be given away to the Chinese Investors. Business is Business.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 am
User avatarPosts: 12454Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
battousai wrote:
The best ideal situation would be Yao getting majority of investors from US, This will increase Yao's chance as a figure head owner of the team, thus allowing US NBA/investors crack into China's market and Yao back into NBA in some form. This is why I think Grant Hill's name was throw into the mix. Not because he has the money, but he has the connections.
u didn't mention the most compelling reason, he is black,
    never mind that he is also articulate, well-educated with a strong family background.

his dad, calvin hill, was an all-pro NFL running back / won rookie of the year award; was VP for the Baltimore Orioles baseball team
      his mom was a class mate of Hilary Clinton at Yale Law School
    in the wake of the Sterling controversy, any bid not led by a black
      will not stand a chance against the two front runners,
      team Oprah and team Magic Johnson

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:52 am
Dr. No wrote:
battousai wrote:
u didn't mention the most compelling reason, he is black,
    never mind that he is also articulate, well-educated with a strong family background.

his dad, calvin hill, was an all-pro NFL running back / won rookie of the year award; was VP for the Baltimore Orioles baseball team
      his mom was a class mate of Hilary Clinton at Yale Law School
    in the wake of the Sterling controversy, any bid not led by a black
      will not stand a chance against the two front runners,
      team Oprah and team Magic Johnson

Certainly a minority owner or at the least a figure head whom has minority root would make more sense. I Doubt Hill could cough up buying the clippers so he would have to partner with some "investors", and I doubt they would be all blacks.

I dont know how a team magic johnson would help de-escalate this issue. NBA doesnt want this kind of negative publicity. However on the other hand Team Oprah would make a lot more sense.

If these are the fore-runners, then by all means, I think Team Oprah, Team Yao, Team Hill, Team johnson would be my pick of chances on winning bid on Clippers. The rumor price of 1.5B could very well be as high as 2.0B

My pipe dream would be Team Oprah joining with Team Yao. To me, Oprah isnt the "sport" type of owner. However, She may be the first african woman owner in the NBA and that rings a better sound than team Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:20 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The MORE I look at this case, the MORE I think the LIKELIHOOD of an acquisition of LA Clippers by a Yao-Led consortium from China is ACTUALLY VERY VERY SLIM.

It's NOT that NBA will oppose to the acquisition.
They would die to have a Yao-Led consortium from China to buy out LA Clippers so as to rekindle the NBA fever in China.

The CATCH here is since the ballpark price of the acquisition will be around US$ 1.5 ~ 2 Billion (~ 9 to 12 Billion Renminbi), say 8 Chinese billionaires join to form the Yao Led consortium, and split the cost of the acquisition, say EQUALLY. That means 1.125 Billion to 1.5 Billion Renminbi per head.

NO Chinese multi-millionaires or billionaires will want to join in the consortium for the bid at this VERY SENSITIVE MOMENT.

It's NOT that there is NO ONE in China INTERESTED AND RICH ENOUGH to put up that kind of money to buy out the LA Clippers.

It is rather NO ONE will want to RISK to EXPOSE
and be investigated by the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection for the LEGITIMATE SOURCE of their personal net worth.

For the past 2 years, particularly the past 6 months, there were alot of senior government officials and executives of state-owned or private enterprises being busted for corruption. The stringent and no-nonsense Wang Qishan, the head of the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection, had recently pledged and urged for re-doubling the anti-corruption efforts throughout all ministries/government units and state-owned/private enterprises.

UNLESS those Chinese multi-millionaires or billionaires are 100% CLEAN, NO ONE will want to go through a tough and lengthy investigation/interrogations and risk getting exposed or busted for corruption by the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 am
User avatarPosts: 12454Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
pryuen wrote:
It's NOT that there is NO ONE in China INTERESTED AND RICH ENOUGH to put up tnhat kind of money to buy out the LA Clippers.

It is rather NO ONE will want to RISK to EXPOSE and be investigated by the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection for the LEGITIMATE SOURCE of their personal net worth.
good point

Offline Profile