Author Message

<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Houston Rockets Plan To Retire Yao Ming's No. 11 Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:51 am
Posts: 1489Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am
You're totally not following what I'm saying. Please listen and focus.

Point of discussion: jersey retirement.

Focus on that. Now you look at the credentials and criteria of players who have had their jerseys retired and you'll realize you're using the wrong criteria. The concept of a franchise player is something you'll have to understand.

Please stop comparing Yao to the Mailman and the Dream. I never said Yao was either. They were brought up to disprove your theory that someone needed to win a Championship to have their jersey retired (your words). There are lesser names, but I bring up the more popular names so you can associate.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:58 am
Posts: 1504Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
I never say the players with their jerseys retired need to win champs. Never.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 am
Posts: 1489Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am
"To be honest, Yao only leads the team to the western semi finals. And it doesn't deserve a jersey retirement as a player.

In another way, Rox could give him a contribution award instead.

But Houston's basketball is actually not as good as before. Yao is like the tallest among midgets. So does he really deserve it?

Yao is not like Olajuwon. He didn't bring Houston champ. But is he still recognized as franchise player?"

Maybe it's the way you write or your English being a 2nd language that makes it very confusing but these were your words. The clear picture that is being drawn here is that Yao doesnt deserve a jersey retirement because of the Rockets' lack of playoff success. There's no other reason why someone would bring up these arguments.

Please try to be more clear with what your point is, or at least clarify yourself right after before letting a topic go off tangent. Otherwise you're wasting our time trying to explain something to you because you appear to not understand, but supposedly do.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 am
Posts: 1504Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
I've clearly explained this to you.
English is your first language but it seems to me that your comprehension ability still needs to improve.


directshoot wrote:
^^But they all have been to the finals, or MVPs.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 4671Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
I think the Rockets are retiring Yao's number/jersey because they are proud of how he represented the Rockets' organization to the world. Hard worker, great team-mate, one of the best offensive centers in the league, professional and mature...extremely rare combination of attributes that the organization can be proud of.


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Yao will have his number retired by Houston. There is no "if", why are you even discussing it?

Yao will also enter the hall of fame.

You can talk about what Yao "deserve", but this will be after the fact that Yao will get his awards.

Yao was voted All-Star when he didn't even play. That's how popular he is.

You guys are talking like you have to explain why your wife is attractive and why you married her. It's silly.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am
Posts: 1489Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am
directshoot wrote:
I've clearly explained this to you.
English is your first language but it seems to me that your comprehension ability still needs to improve.


directshoot wrote:
^^But they all have been to the finals, or MVPs.


you dont get it. When you say something, there's the words you write, and the message it carries. If what you're saying is implying something that isn't what you mean to say, then you need to explain clearer or you'll end up arguing with the lot of us here. Let me break it down for you. when you say:

"But they all have been to the finals, or MVPs."

This one sentence means nothing nor explains nothing on its own. It's just a weak sentence with no explanation. That's where we intrepret with implication and context.
Implication: It doesn't say that you're not saying Yao needs to win a championship to have his jersey retired. On the contrary, you're alluding to Yao not deserving a jersey retirement because he hasnt been to the Finals, or MVP (supposedly written in the same train of thought we would assume Finals MVP). You're basically repeating that Yao doesnt deserve jersey retirement because of lack of Rox playoff success. We're stuck at the same point as before, you've explained nothing in that one sentence.
Context: Your first point alluded to championships. Our discussion revolved around championship, concept of franchise player and jersey retirement previously. Now you're backtracking to other points. You're backpaddling from championships to NBA Finals. My counter with the Malone point is it doesnt matter, because people dont remember making the Finals, they remember championships -> But this is a separate point from what our original discussion was with jersey retirement. We're not talking about things like the HoF.

Bottom line is you need be more concise with your writing and intentions, because writing is the only form of communication we have here. We can't read your mind, we only see what you write and associate it's implications, since you're not explaining your train of thought. That's why you've been driving posters crazy here. It's not our comprehension, but rather the words you put up that we're forced to interpret. If your English isn't as strong, at the least try to explain with more words or substance to be clearer.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am
Posts: 1504Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm
It hasn't happened yet. Houston just makes a decision. Ppl have every right to doubt.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
directshoot wrote:
It hasn't happened yet. Houston just makes a decision. Ppl have every right to doubt.


Context: The Rockets owner said that Yao's number will eventually be retired because Yao.

Idiots: But why why why why why


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am
Posts: 1489Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am
directshoot wrote:
It hasn't happened yet. Houston just makes a decision. Ppl have every right to doubt.


Yeahh. But remember when you publicly doubt online, you'll have to expect people to challenge your position and be willing to back up your point. Otherwise why bring it up.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 3 of 5
41 posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum