<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Houston Rockets Plan To Retire Yao Ming's No. 11 Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:33 pm
I'm not a hater, but not a fan either.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 pm
directshoot wrote:
Yao is not like Olajuwon. He didn't bring Houston champ. But is he still recognized as franchise player?

Yeah. Franchise player is loaded with expectations, but there's no criteria that the franchise player must bring a championship to the team to be a franchise player. A franchise player is basically the face and the efficient producing player of the team. Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Wilkens, Gervin, Reggie Miller, etc. never won championships but they were clearly franchise players and I'm almost certain their jerseys are retired.

NBA is weird now compared to before. Concept of franchise players are skewed with nobody wanting to be the man, getting disgruntled easily, and everybody wanting to load up the wagon on big market teams for championships. Even guys like Melo, DH12, CP3, had they stayed with their teams would've definitely gotten their jerseys retired.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm
So it's not important to a player I think. It's just an honor. It doesn't bring money.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:59 pm
^^But they all have been to the finals, or MVPs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm
You're right it is an honour. But my point is that the criteria for jersey retirement isn't necessarily the same as Hall of fame (which most people believe Yao will be inducted in as well).

It's to honour their contribution and what they brought to the franchise.

As for the finals comment, nobody looks at that. When they think of Malone, he'll prob be remembered as one of, if not the greatest player to not win a championship.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 pm
But why do ppl know Malone? It's b/c of his career highlight right?
Look at Yao's career and Malone's. You know the difference.

Anyway, it's very personal criteria. Maybe only Alexandra is enough to have the right to select the jersey.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm
You're glueing all the points together and mixing up my arguments.

My Malone comment is in response to your view of his legacy being viewed as him reaching the Finals. That's wrong because conventional opinion will not remember him as the player who made the Finals, but the player who didn't win the championship.

My bring up of Malone and the rest of the list is in response to your short-sighted opinion that a player worthy of having a retired jersey must have brought a championship to the franchise. You mentioned Yao's not worthy of it because he never brought the championship. My response is there have been plenty of players who didn't bring the championship who have had their jerseys retired.

There have been lesser names with retired jerseys who did not win championships, but I mention the big names so you can better associate with the argument.

It's not personal criteria as much as it is conventional criteria. People are strangely creatures of habit. Tendencies often dictate outcomes. When applied to guidelines of how people are chosen for HoF, All-star, jersey retirement, etc. There's an unwritten guideline that most people will understand.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:18 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

I don't think we need to debate/argue whether it is justified to have Yao Ming's jersey retired with a Certified Yao Hater. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just look at the following FACTS:

• Yao Ming played his FULL career at Houston Rockets; not that many players can achieve that.
  • Yao Ming is amongst top 10 in most stats in Houston Rockets history/record book

• 486 games played in regular seasons: #10
    • 9247 points scored: #6
    • FG% 52.4%: #5
    • FGA 6445: #8
    • FGM : #7
    • 2984 Free Throw Attempts: #5
    • 2486 Free Throw Made: #4
    • Total Rebounds: #6 Offensive rebounds: #4; Defensive rebouds: #4.
    • 920 block shots: #2
Statistics tell EVERYTHING..... so said our DuckCoach Nephew. :roll:

Then WHY GRUDGE honoring a player by retirng his jersey
whereupon that player has been the face of your franchise for close to a decade, and one of the best players in the franchise history???
:twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
good idea to retire his #11 or else it'd be bad luck to anyone else who wears it. Imo, he doesn't deserve to have his name retired amongst the Rockets greats. One first round victory as ur accomplishment...yay buddy *clap *clap. Retire ur jersey, give a 2 min speech, and get the hell outta houston.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:41 am
You didn't get it.

Champs is among a player's career highlights. I'm not talking about champs and rings, I'm talking about career highlights.

Here are from the wiki:

Yao:

Offline Profile