<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  BREAKING NEWS: Yao Ming Slam Dunks Into Wine Industry !!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:17 pm
User avatarPosts: 59008Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:

FYI this wine isn't available in the US.

Well, the Yao Family Wine is available in USA sometimes this year.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 pm
Maybe online. I don't think they even have a distributor in the US atm, clearly this is aimed at Chinese consumers.

The funny thing is how stupid the Americans are. Chinese overwhelmingly import French wines. Napa isn't well known, in fact wine consumption isn't common in China.

Instead of realizing how Yao is working to help Northern California break into and open the Chinese market (something Americans ***** about China about... not enough imports) both on those SF Chronicle and WSJ articles, writers and readers alike are awash in snob sentiment and jealousy that the Chinese are stupid about wine or don't deserve expensive wine.

Americans are seriously retarded. They can't even see the point staring right at them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:13 pm
User avatarPosts: 15487Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Americans actually believed our economy could be sustained entirely by moving money around.

Also, 99% of wine drinkers are snobs that can't tell the difference between good wine and great wine. They can't even tell red wine from white with red coloring.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 59008Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:
Maybe online. I don't think they even have a distributor in the US atm, clearly this is aimed at Chinese consumers.

The funny thing is how stupid the Americans are. Chinese overwhelmingly import French wines. Napa isn't well known, in fact wine consumption isn't common in China.

Instead of realizing how Yao is working to help Northern California break into and open the Chinese market (something Americans ***** about China about... not enough imports) both on those SF Chronicle and WSJ articles, writers and readers alike are awash in snob sentiment and jealousy that the Chinese are stupid about wine or don't deserve expensive wine.

Americans are seriously retarded. They can't even see the point staring right at them.

Well the Americans should read into some of the interviews of Yao Ming on WHY he is jumping into the wine business.

He started to learn drinking wine since joining NBA. And I guess most of the wine he got in touch in USA could be those from Napa Valley, and he loves Napa Valley. He wanted to introduce good things and bring those Napa Valley wines to people in China who is actually starting to like wine.

BTW, personally don't think wine consumption isn't common in China.

Wine sales in many leading wine countries have suffered dramatic decline sine the global financial crisis . However, China market still keeps the great potential for wine sales and consumption, which made it to be the most sought-after export market worldwide.

Just to give you an example.
In 2000, the import volume of Bordeaux wines was 2000 hl, which has increased to 69000 hl in 2009. YEAH..... the import volume of Bordeaux wines in China climbed by 35 times in 9 years. :shock:

Over the last decade, wine consumption in China has exhibited the strongest growth amongst all alcoholic beverages.

In 1999, retail wine sales were only 3.76 billion RMB. By 2008, this increased to about 20 billion RMB, an average annual increase rate of about 20%. For the first time in 2009, bottled wine imports exceeded bulk wine import volumes. This trend reflects the demand for good quality wines that suit a growing middle class consumer base.

In terms of quantity, annual per capita consumption of wine in China is still only around 0.5 litres per annum, a fraction of the consumption in western countries.
However wine consumption has been growing at around 7% per annum; a much higher rate than traditional wine drinking countries which have been growing at 1% only in recent years.

Wine drinking is also increasingly considered a healthier alternative to spirits and is somewhat trendy. Still red wines are particularly popular. Wine bars and boutique wine stores have flourished in the major cities of Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou. Young urban professionals and business people account for most wine consumed in bars and hotels. The retail sector is also experiencing growth, with many supermarkets and other outlets stocking a range of domestic and imported wines. In many instances the purchase of imported wine is for a special occasion gift or to serve at a restaurant banquet to impress guests.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 pm

And Chinese bottled wine imports (excluding sparkling) have grown hugely from US$25 million in 2004 to US$377 million in 2009 and the volume grown from 7 million to 91 million litres over the same period (GTIS, China customs data, 2009).

Well, I got these information from a very insightful market analysis done by the Australian government,
who ranked 2nd largest wine importer for China behind France.

China Wine Market Snapshot

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:22 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
Americans actually believed our economy could be sustained entirely by moving money around.

Also, 99% of wine drinkers are snobs that can't tell the difference between good wine and great wine. They can't even tell red wine from white with red coloring.

this is true. most literally cannot tell the difference. I had a friend who was a waiter at an upscale NY steak restaurant tell me that it was common policy for their waiters to simply serve the house wine if the bar was busy and a customer ordered a more expensive wine by the glass. no one every complained to this guy about it. it's not even a case of the restaurant being greedy and substituting a cheaper vintage for profit. it was simply the waiters being too lazy to actually wait and get the right wine.

that says volumes about not only wine drinkers but the Americans, and how we basically fail.

pryuen French consume almost 50 liters of wine per capita per year. Italians consume even more. Even Japanese consume 10 liters.

in other words French and Italians consume 100x more wine than China. assuming 1 glass of wine per sitting at that ratio if a Frenchman had a glass of wine with 300 meals a year... a Chinese would have 3 glasses... wine consumption isn't common in China.

I'd guess that actual consumption habits are like the rest of Asia, wine aficionados probably drink wine a couple times a week. a significant number of Chinese probably drink wine a few times a year. most probably rarely or never drink wine.

although it differs by age, many French and Italians often drink wine every day, in Italy, France etc you can get a very good bottle of wine for a few dollars and many people commonly drink it like Americans drink beer instead of on special occasions.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 pm
In china, they mix red wine with sprite, nuff said... though recently, seeing less of this trend.

China got very good and cheap red wine. Was on a business trip to yentai and had a few hours to spare. The cab driver took me to a vineyard (Changyu) and I did some tasting. I am no expert but their wine is pretty good actually.

I think wine drinking more of a status thing in China, so when selecting wine, being pricey is more important then if they really like it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 pm
lol do they really still do that? cut their wine like hard liquor?

someone needs to go over there and start bottling wine coolers. 20 years ago Americans were just as ignorant and they moved a ton of that stuff.

your point about Chinese wine is well taken though. in 30 years they might be exporting wine to Australia and the US, not the other way around.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 15487Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
What's wrong with wine coolers? lol remember Zima? tasted like feet.

Alize drink mix is the same stuff. Also, the vodka coolers are still popular with Asians.

Don't drink any cooler/fancylad drinks in front of Irish people, they get pissed. lol Was at a bar near Yankee stadium and I'm not a beer drinker.

People make such a big deal on what I drink... But, I don't give a fvck. I can't tell good drinks from bad anyway.

Online Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 pm
pryuen wrote:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/46176

YM: There are some small boutique wineries emerging in northern China near Mongolia that are producing some really interesting and beautiful wines. Helen Mountain, for example, has emerged as a great example of the quality that can come from China.

LOL !!! :P That Winespectator's reporter screwed this up.

It should be Helan Mountain from Ningxia, an icon of Chinese wine.

http://www.fredtibbitts.com/press/LifeNC-2010-07.pdf

[size=117][color=darkred]Helan Mountain has emerged as a global, award-wining winery in the past 3 years with no looking-back, having won 39 awards in total since September 2009.

[list][*]Helen Mountain Special Reserve Chardonnay won the [b]

Last edited by pryuen on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile