<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  BREAKING NEWS: Yao Ming Slam Dunks Into Wine Industry !!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The following is one of the 3 posts I posted in a new thread of the same title a week ago on November 23.

But John private-mailed me that since the Yao Family Wines is still confidential and commercial secret, he had to remove everything I've posted.

Now that it's no longer a secret, let me share with you what I had posted a week ago !!!

pryuen wrote:

Just like you would least expect that Yao Ming delivered a keynote speech at an SAP international conference, it was reported today that Yao Ming has formed a wine company in Napa Valley, California and established his own brand of wine: Yao Family Wines. :shock: :shock: :shock:

It is not yet known whether Yao Ming had acquired an existing winery at Napa Valley or it is going to be just a co-operative venture with a Napa Valley winery.

But we only have to wait for another 4 days.

There will be a Special Olympics East Asia 2011 Unity Fund Raising Charity Gala to be held in Shanghai this coming Sunday (November 27th).

During the charity gala, Special Olympics Gloabl Amassador Yao Ming will announce the formal establishment of his Yao Family Wines.

And a 1.5 Litre bottle of Yao Ming 2009 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon wine, the very first produce from Yao Family Wines, will be donated by Yao Ming to be one of the 7 items put onto auction during the charity gala with an opening bid price of 60,000 RMB.

And starting next week, the Yao Ming 2009 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon wine will be available for sales in China. The 1.5 Litre version with a very limited production of up to 1,200 bottles, will be priced at RMB 3,800.

I'll furnish details about this new business endeavor of Yao Ming once it becomes available.

Meanwhile, here is the website of Yao Family Wines where you can learn more about Yao's new business, and the organization/people involved.

http://www.yaofamilywines.com/

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:46 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The 2nd post is the draft of the press release on November 28th.

Actually for some strange reason, before the Yao Family Wines website went alive on the 28th, it was alive for short while around the 23rd.

And I was able to scoop the press release draft on that day !!!

[quote="pryuen"]

The to-be-released press release draft about Yao Family Wines as avaialble in the www.yaofamilywines.com.

[quote]

http://www.yaofamilywines.com/yao-ming- ... uvignon-2/

Yao Ming Introduces
Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

[size=109][b]PRESS RELEASE

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 am
Here is the 3rd post that I posted on the 23rd !!!

pryuen wrote:

Some photos of Yao Ming and his team (which included Bill Duffy and Bill Sanders of Team Yao) at vineyards in Napa Valley.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:18 am

Here is an interview on Wall Street Journal which gave pretty indepth details about Yao ming's ambitious plan.

And it looks like right after his operation on his stress fracture/foot realignment back in 2009, Big Yao had
already planned for the worst i.e. retirement, and started working on this new business endeavor !!! :shock:

[quote]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

NOVEMBER 28, 2011.

Yao Ming Courts
China's Wine Boom

[size=109]By JASON CHOW

While Yao Ming was growing up in Shanghai, wine was served with ice cubes. It wasn't until the 7-foot-6-inch Chinese basketball star spent time with National Basketball Association teammate Dikembe Mutombo, a 7-foot-2-inch Congolese player, that he began to appreciate wine.

"I always watched him at our dinners and I'd sometimes ask him 'Why are you doing that?'" said Mr. Yao, swirling an imaginary glass. "I was just trying to copy him."

Now retired and living in his native Shanghai, Mr. Yao is an unlikely connoisseur and a trailblazer on the Chinese wine scene. The 31-year-old is launching his own Californian winery geared exclusively for the Chinese market this week called Yao Family Wines.

Distributed by French beverage giant Pernod Ricard SA, bottles in the first 5,000-case run will be labeled simply Yao Ming and aimed at the top end of the market.

The wine, made from cabernet sauvignon grapes harvested in 2009 from California's Napa Valley, is priced at 1,775 yuan (US$289) a bottle. (The price includes a 27% import duty and a 17% sales tax.) A second wine, called Yao Family Reserve, will be released later this year, and its small 500-case production will be even pricier.

[color=red][b]"I really like Napa Valley," said the former center. "California represents vacation, casual [living], sunshine

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 am
User avatarPosts: 12415Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
Quote:
China has a heavy bias toward French wines. Last year, France led bottled-wine imports with a 47% market share. Australia ranked a distant second with 16% of the market.

The U.S. came in sixth, trailing Italy, Spain and Chile, with a 6.4% share.
just my guess; in less than 10 yrs, US wine would be the #1 import

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:39 pm
Dr. No wrote:
Quote:
China has a heavy bias toward French wines. Last year, France led bottled-wine imports with a 47% market share. Australia ranked a distant second with 16% of the market.

Another BRAIN DEAD 脑残 statement from our Dr. Moranus !!! :P

You EITHER have BAD taste or NO taste when it comes to wine.

Poeple that knows wine most often talk about French and Italian wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Champagne, Loire, Rhone, and Tuscany. The best vintage wines are from either France or Italy.

Yeah wines from Napa Valley or Sonoma of California is getting noticed, but alot of time, they are just domestically consumed in USA, as USA ranks the Top 3 in wine consumption in the world.

The top exporters of wine around the world based on export market share are:

1. France (34.01%)
  2. Italy (18.03%)
  3. Australia (10.24%)
  4. Spain (9.18%)
  5. Chile (4.13%)
  6. Germany (3.25%)
  7. Portugal (3.17%)
  8. United States (3.00%)
  9. South Africa (2.90%)
  10. New Zealand (1.61%)
To say US wines will be the #1 import in China in a decade would be JUST AS LAUGHABLE AS Country XYZ will surpass USA in terms of military budget/spendings in the next decade, BECAUSE THAT WOULD NOT HAPPEN !!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:36 pm

A Q&A of Yao Ming on Wine Enthusiast Magazine on how he got in love with wine, why he likes Napa Valley wine, why he thinks wine can fit in well with Chinese culture, and how he got into the wine business.

[quote]

http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusiast- ... -Yao-Ming/

Q&A with Yao Ming

The basketball star brings Napa wine to China.

[size=109]Published on Dec 12, 2011

By Risa Wyatt

"Chinese people are becoming more interested in wine every day," says Yao Ming, the five-time N.B.A. All-Star. Retired from basketball in summer 2011, Yao is now shooting to bring fine Napa Valley wine to his Chinese homeland where wine consumption doubled from 2005 to 2009. He has launched Yao Family Wines, which released its inaugural Yao Ming 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) in early December 2011. The wine will be distributed primarily in China where it sells for the equivalent of $289/bottle. Yao discusses his transition from hoops to barrel staves with Wine Enthusiast.

Wine Enthusiast: What aspects of Chinese culture fit with a food-and-wine lifestyle?
Yao Ming:
To me wine and food evoke a feeling of friends and family having great times and making memories together. It slows people down and helps them appreciate each other

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:36 am
The latest interview of Yao Ming on Wine Spectator about how he picked up wine-drinking and what are some of his favorite wines.

[quote]

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/46176

Yao Ming's Full-Court Press

Basketball star and new Napa vintner Yao Ming
tells what he learned about wine from fellow NBA greats

[size=109]Ben O'Donnell

Posted: January 6, 2012

Retired NBA star and Chinese sports sensation Yao Ming is one of a rapidly growing number of enophiles in his home country, where French wines are in vogue. But Yao developed his taste for wine in the United States, so his drinking habits have tended to favor Napa Cabernets instead. Now, after two years of working with winemaker Tom Hinde (formerly of Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates), the 7' 6" former Houston Rockets center has unveiled a Napa Cabernet of his own under the Yao Family Wines label, with 2009 as the first vintage of the Yao Ming Napa Valley Cabernet. Last month, he released the wine in China and says it has been "very well-received" so far. Wine Spectator caught up with him shortly after.

Wine Spectator: How did you become interested in wine? When did you discover Napa wines?

Yao Ming:
I was so fortunate to be exposed to many world-class wines during my basketball career in the U.S. While I was on the road with the Houston Rockets, the players would go out to dinner together and some of them knew a lot about wine, and I learned from them. I learned a lot from my teammate Dikembe Mutombo. He loves great wine. I remember watching him at our dinners swirl and sniff his wineglass, and it definitely encouraged me to learn more about wine so I could do the same. Now, I am lucky to be surrounded by a lot of people who continue to teach me about wine.

WS: What kind of restaurants did you go to with the team?

YM:
They have many great steak houses in Houston, because in Texas they love big steak. And Cabernet goes very well with a Texas steak.

WS: Do you keep a wine collection?

YM:
I have a small collection. I am still learning about wine, so as a collector I

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 pm
Dr. Moranus wrote:
Quote:

Moranus doesn't know ****** about wine. why even make a statement like this?

The US is the 4th largest producer of wine but constitutes less than 5% of global wine EXPORTS.

America

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:55 pm
the wine editor for the SF Chronicle makes an interesting point

[quote]That price tag is what the Yao story is all about. If you

Offline Profile