<  Yao off the court; Yao's personality  ~  Yao Ming Sues Local Sportswear Company for Infringements

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Quote:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/s ... 872202.htm

Yao Ming sues sportswear
company for infringements

English.news.cn
2011-05-12 22:02:41

BEIJING, May 12 (Xinhua) -- Star basketballer Yao Ming has filed a lawsuit against a local sportswear producer for name and portrait infringements, the Yao Team announced here on Thursday.

Yao sued Wuhan Yunhe Dashayu Sportswear Co., Ltd. for using Yaomingyidai, or Yao Ming Era in English, without Yao's authorization, as a brand name.

Lu Hao, member of the Yao Team, said the company also used Yao Ming's signatures and portraits on their products and during their promotion activities around the country.

None of the products and activities are authorized by Yao Ming, who has a sportswear contract with Reebok, Lu said.

Lu did not disclose more details of the lawsuit, saying seeking compensations is not the aim of this legal action. "We want to send out a word that such infringements are not tolerated by Yao Ming."

Yao Ming had registered "Yao Ming" as a trademark in several fields in 2002 to protect his rights. The 31-year-old is planning to use his name as a sportswear brand, just as former gymnastics star Li Ning did after he retired.

There are a dozen of companies and individuals who have registered Yao-Ming-related trademarks in China, like Yao Ming World, Yao Ming Empire, Yao Ming Rockets etc.. Most of these trademarks are not printed on products.

Yaomingyidai, however, has become a popular brand in Hubei Province, and is planning to sell their products nationwide.

Yao Ming and his promotion team had negotiated with the company several times in the past few years, but the Wuhan company never stopped producing shoes and garments with Yao Ming's printed signature.

Local reports claimed the Wuhan company has relationship with Shanghai Sharks's former head coach Li Qiuping and former general manager Li Yaomin. Yao Ming played for the Sharks before he was drafted by the Houston Rockets in 2002.

Lu said he had no information about Li Qiuping and Li Yaomin being involved in the issue.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Quote:

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Nation ... g%2Bbrand/

Star to sue sports firm
over 'Yao Ming' brand

By Ni Yinbin
2011-5-13

BASKETBALL star Yao Ming is suing a sports company in Hubei Province for registering his name as a brand without his permission, Team Yao said in Beijing yesterday.

The Yunhe Sharks Sports Co Ltd's "Yao Ming Era" brand had violated Yao's right to his name and image and also represented unfair competition, said Lu Hao, an agent for Yao at a press conference.

Lu said the aim of the lawsuit was to protect Yao's rights, to remind the public of such fraudulent activities, and to crackdown on unfair competition in order to also protect the rights of consumers.

The Wuhan Intermediate People's Court is to hear the case. The sports company is based in Wuhan City.

More details of the lawsuit will be released on Sunday, Lu said.

"We will demand a certain amount of compensation otherwise the cost of tort would be too low," Lu told reporters. "The number will be unveiled later and will not be symbolic as one yuan."

In 2003, Yao sued Coca-Cola, accusing the drinks company of violating his rights to his image by printing his picture on bottles. He asked for a symbolic compensation of 1 yuan (15 US cents). Yao won the case.

Without Yao's permission, the Wuhan company registered "Yao Ming Era" in the early 2000s and has been selling "Yao Ming Era" shoes and clothes across the country.

In the past few years, brands such as "Yao Ming," "Yao Ming Clan" and "Yao Ming Family" have appeared on the market without authorization.

"It has been years that many companies took advantage of Yao's reputation for unfair gains," Lu added.

"We have to take legislative methods to protect Yao Ming and the consumers' legal rights," Lu said.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Well, actually Yao Ming is challenging the authority, and openly goes against the Shanghai Municipal Sports Bureau, and his own alma mater club, Shanghai Oriental Basketball Club, and probably the People Liberation Army as well. :shock:

Personally think, those bastards just exploited and took advantage of Yao Ming's fame to make a fortune for themselves.

This Wuhan sportswear company, Yunhe Sharks Sports Co Ltd is a subsidiary organization of the People's Liberation Army 3033 factory; it was formed between a Hong Kong company called Yao Ming Enterprise Holdings Co. Ltd. (assumably another enterprise/company registered by Shanghai Municiapl Sports Bureau/Shanghai Oriental Basketball Club in Hong Kong) and the Shanghai Oriental Basketball Club.

http://www.jsymera.com/

There is also another sportswear company, called Yao Ming ~ OBC. And OBC just simply stands for Oriental Basketball Club.

http://www.yaomingobc.com/

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm
lol they managed to misspell McGrady in the first ad, and somehow managed to invert his jersey like in a mirror in the second. Do they not notice these things? sigh, another victory for Engrish.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:32 pm
Yao Ming should start his own sports apparel brand.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:17 am
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
BIG YAO clothing line for plus-sized chinese men. He should stay away from developing his own line of shoes however..

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:48 am
hey I saw this in the store!

being a guy who has to shop at the tall store myself I saw BIG YAO clothing line in the store dude! just like you said

it was next to the nig0 clock radio! not only does it give you the time every 5 minutes it announces Linsanity is on or off

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. oh. 5. PM. linsanity is now off

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. 10. PM. linsanity is now on

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. 15. PM. linsanity is now off

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. 20. PM. linsanity is now on

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. 25. PM. linsanity is now off

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. PM. on the half hour. linsanity is now on

nig0moranuson clock radio time is 8. 40 PM. linsanity is now off

after 8:40 I finished shopping and left the store. so I dont know what happened next

nig0. do you know what happened next?

did linsanity then turn ON??? or

did linsanity stay OFF????

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT ****** NIG0

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 am
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
In before doggie comment!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:33 am
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
just as i expected, boyfriend n boyfriend doggiestan & retardurkel! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm
didn't understand that post but it doesn't matter

cut the crap and tell us

if it's on

or

off

you manufactured the ****** thing, and I'm telling you that I saw it at Yao's big and tall.

now tell me if it's set to on or off

what part of I left the store and need to know do you not understand?

Offline Profile