<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  Yao Ming joins TAG Heuer as global brand ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:15 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Another BIG endorsement for Yao Ming that ranks him amongst those sport elites of Tiger Woods, Maria Sharapova and Kimi Raikkonen.

Yao Ming joins TAG Heuer as global brand ambassador

www.chinaview.cn 2004-12-14 08:51:13

HOUSTON, Dec. 13 (Xinhuanet) -- Chinese star Yao Ming, a member of the NBA Houston Rockets in his third season, signed an ambassador agreement with the TAG Heuer, announced the Swiss sports watch and chronograph brand on Monday in Houston.

"I am genuinely honored to be a part of the TAG Heuer team," Yao Ming told a brief news conference in the Hostonian Hotel Club and Spa.

"All my life I have admired the great explorers and pioneers. These are characteristics I see in TAG Heuer. I look forward to working closely with the brand on projects in China and around the world," Yao added.

Yao joined the TAG Heuer Ambassadors that included golfing legend Tiger Woods, rising tennis star Maria Sharapova, Formula One driver Kimi Raikkonen, as well as world free diving champion Tanya Streeter.

"We are delighted Yao has joined the TAG Heuer team," said Jean-Christophe Babin, TAG Heuer's President and Chief Executive Officer, at a signing ceremony last Friday, the video of which was shown to the news conference.

"Yao is a two-time NBA All-Star and is already described as oneof the best centers to ever play the game," Babin added.

"Off the court, Yao showed he's not just an agile, multifaceted basketball player and sporting phenomenon, he's also a commercial and social phenomenon of truly global proportions.

"He travelled back to China to play for the Chinese National Team and host a multinational telethon to raise funds to battle SARS. He is helping change the world's view of modern China," Babin said.

The contract between TAG Heuer and Yao will begin January 1, 2005, and Yao will soon be showcased extensively in the famous TAG Heuer advertising campaign.

No details about the agreement were released to the media.

"It's a long-term contract," said Catherine Hou, brand manager from Shanghai Representative Office of TAG Heuer, the benchmark in prestigious Swiss sports watches and chronographs since 1860 and ranked as the fourth luxury brand in the world watch market.

"Yao Ming will be directly involved in the development of new TAG Heuer products, and TAG Heuer's strategic partnership with Yao also emphasizes its global brand commitment to China where TAG Heuer is already operating more than 50 points of sales including a boutique in Beijing, and is geared up for a strong expansion plan," said Hou.

TAG Heuer has been developing its new role as official timekeeper and chronograph for the legendary Indy 500 and IRL championship since the Olympic Games in the 1920s, and maintained its cooperation with Team McLaren Mercedes, Woods, Bourdais and Sharapova and so on.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Some photos of Yao Ming at the signing ceremony and commercial shots for Tag Heuer !!! :oops: :wink:

And he seemed
not smiling and still worrying about his and his team recent poor performance in those commercial photos !!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 am
Geeeeez, I think it's nice to be team mates and buddies of Yao Ming !!!

Just read it in sina.com, that Yao Ming has ordered 20 pieces of Tag Heuer watches for his Rockets team mates as Christmas presents. 3 of them will go to Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato at Orlando Magic.

Not sure whether he has reserved one for JVG ??? :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:17 am
20 watches? That's 15 for his Rox teammates, 3 for his ex-Rox teammates, leaving 2. Probably one each for JVG and CD

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:47 am
blooped wrote:
20 watches? That's 15 for his Rox teammates, 3 for his ex-Rox teammates, leaving 2. Probably one each for JVG and CD

That might cheer them up a bit in case they lose to the lowly Atlanta Hawks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:54 am
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
Oh, Boy... there's one for my wall! He's still pretty, ain't he? :oops:
(Thanks, Pry, for the PM... I would have missed this!)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:43 am
User avatarPosts: 1074Location: Arkansas, USAJoined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:26 pm
Actually Yao has turned down pretty much every contract that LeBron or Tiger got lately.

He's turned down bigger deals than he has signed.

Apparently his agent is pi$$ed about it, but the Rockets and Chinese National Team are apparently getting on Yao pretty hard about not spending too much time with all these endorsements.

Truth is Yao gets way more offers than LeBron.

Maybe the last two are for JVG and Rudy T.?

Maybe Eddie Griffin? James Posey? Kenny Thomas?Maybe for Yao's parents?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:13 pm
Ming_7_6 wrote:
Maybe the last two are for JVG and Rudy T.?

Maybe Eddie Griffin? James Posey? Kenny Thomas?Maybe for Yao's parents?

Well, there are 15 players on Rockets' roster. That takes care of 14 watches. (As Yao Ming got his already).

The remaining 6: 3 for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Kelvin Cato.

The other 3 could be for JVG, CD and Leslie Alexander !!!

I guess he took care for the watches for his parents and Ye Li already !!! :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:15 pm
Maybe not CD or Leslie Alexander, but Patrick Ewing + Anthony Falsone. :shock: :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:46 am
Here is Maria Sharapova doing her Tag Heuer commercial shots at Malibu Beach, California.

Maybe Tag Heuer should start working on their next commercial, a BIG one with Yao Ming & Maria Sharapova together !!! :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile