<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  Has your view of Chinese people changed since Yao..(klutch)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:41 am
User avatarPosts: 3042Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
i saw this on the frontpage of klutch city but i cant read it since im not a member. But im very interested in what ppl from klutchcity have to say in reply to this. So im just asking if any klutchcity member can post a couple of quotes from the forum>
Thanks, will be much appreciated.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:03 am
Posts: 2628Location: Hillsborough, CAJoined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:34 am
It started with this:

Quote:
There are not many Chinese people in the media or sports and Yao is clearly become the most popular. We are truly fortunate to have a player like him be part of our organization. I think for the most part, many on this site do not know many Chinese people nor their cultures.

Has Yao changed your perception of Chinese people? If so, how?

The first few posts:

Quote:
Yes. I am much more aware of Asians in sport and I supported China in the olympics. Neither of which I would have pursued without Yao. In general, I am becoMING more knowledgeable about the culture.

well.....I have certainly learned alot about Chinese people that you dont learn from school or the media.

I didnt really have a bad impression of them in the first place...so it isnt a matter of changing how I feel about them. Just a matter of learning about a society that is different fom the one I live in.

gotta admit...Im damn thankful that they(the government) allowed Yao to come over to the NBA...and that we were lucky enough to get the first pick, Much to the rest of the league's chagrin.

btw....I think this would be better suited to the Hangout...but it is kinda a grey area since your question pertains to how feelings have changed cause of Yao.

Not at all.

I find the Chinese people to be very respectful and shrewd business people.

Of course those are generalities, but nevertheless, still good folks.

Not so much the people but the country.
I did not realize how advanced (in term of technology and eco. development ...) China itself has become until after I looked at pictures of Shang Hai ...

I knew Hong Kong, Taiwan were pretty advanced but I thought China was still backward.

He hasn't changed my opinion of Chinese. Most of my friends growing up were black, hispanic, chinese, vietnamese, and filipino. I also work with quite a few Chinese people so I've talked to them a bit about their culture before.

The only thing I wasn't expecting from Yao was his sense of humor.

Yes.

Ming Yao has opened my eyes the warmer side of the Chinese people and culture. Before now it was just Bruce Lee and Kung Fu. And noddles and the vast population. I did not even know a Chinese could be that tall.

I find it interesting how quickly I've adjusted to the idea of Chinese playing in the NBA. When I see Yao play now, I don't think of him as a Chinese guy; I just think of him as Yao.

Then some new opinions came out:

Quote:

What I learned:
1, there are a lot of confusions
2, translation generates more confusions.

Quote:
Originally posted by mirror_image
Interesting Thread. Is there any Rocket Fan who want to learn Chinese language (Mandarin) because of Yao?

hahaha, I know Bill Walton has long been already working on it!!

And how about some learning about Americans... Just as soon as Yao Ming has come to town for the first few weeks, media is already claiming "Yao is becoming Americanized." "Yao is a Chinese but also an American because of this and that" etc.. It's pretty d*rn funny, seriously!
We are obsessed with turning the whole world into baby Americans.. Does that make us feel like kings or sumthin'? American empire?

anyways, I learnt that Chinese or Shanghainese can be quite respectable. But I have reservation about other Shanhainese. I love Chinese btw, dont get me wrong!

maybe many Americans changed their view of China and Chinese, on the other hand,more and more Chinese are changing their view or even habit or life style because of yao

now let me tell you something that you haven't known:
It is reported that over than 50% of students' idol in Shanghai is yao ming!
many people absent from work just want to watch yao's game(because it is often shown in the morning in China)
more people realized the importance of learning English(because they are eager to read the original local news not the translated news
and yao's fans got used to Pepsi,Mcdonald instead of coca cola,KFC...

Yes, after watching Yao and reading this thread, I now realize that all Chinese are really, really tall, speak great English, drive their cars fast, and prefer to drink that soup instead of eat that Moo Goo Gai Pan that they feed all us Americans.

I'm sure that we will find out that they are actually bigger believers in democracy and human rights than this backward nation and they are secretly refunding all those taxes that Yao is paying them and Wang has already been reinstated to the national team. And my perception that they are trying to manipulate the worldwide economy with their economic policy and constant Kerry flip flopping on economic and human rights issues has taken a 180 as well.

i was a YOF to start with, then i became a rockets fan, now even a houston fan. you see, it's a two way traffic.

I never really had an opinion on Chinese people, so I don't think it has changed my views. Because of Yao though, I did have something to strike up conversations with some of my Chinese co-workers. They weren't Rockets fans at all, so they would always come to me and ask various things about the Rockets and Yao. I've since become pretty good friends with some of them, so I guess I should thank Yao for helping me make friends.

Need to be careful with any such "judgement" or comparison, of course. With 1.3 billion people, you can be sure there's plenty of uniqueness and diversity in individual action.

But that said, I think Yao does convey a lot of the unique differences that exist between mainstream Chinese culture and mainstream American culture. Denying this isn't any more fair than claiming "all" Chinese are a certain way.

While most Chinese people do drink alcohol, the alcohol culture is very different from that in the United States. There's far less binge drinking amongst the young, but binge drinking has a far more important role in business. I would personally guess that a majority of folks ages 18-24 in mainstream Chinese society do not get drunk more than once a year. And I think that's dramatically different from the United States.

There are plenty of other very "Chinese" things about Yao. His attitude towards relationships with women, with his parents, and with his coaches/teachers are shared by mainstream Chinese society, and differs from mainstream American society. (What percentage of 24 year old NBA stars live with their parents?)

These are just a few limited examples... I could go on all day about the clear distinctions in social/cultural values within Chinese and American societies. Those who argue differently, in my opinion, are influenced by the very American belief that every single one of us is an individual, and that society's influence on us is limited compared to our own innate characteristics. I happen to believe differently. Every single one of us may be individuals, but we're very much shaped by the communities in which we are raised.

My alcohol example was entirely rhetorical. And in clarification of the rest of my statement, I just think it's a disservice and a copout to explain differences between Yao and other NBA players as "It's his culture". Not to say that there aren't differences between Chinese and Americans but that imposing Yao's personality and demeanor to the whole of Chinese people is unfair. I mean, every little thing that Yao does that might be different than other NBA players is explained away as, "It's his culture." This does two things:

1. It paints the image that all Chinese are like Yao, which isn't true.
2. And it assumes that he couldn't become such a person in the United States. Which is false also, because there are plenty of men in this country that are well mannered or non-aggressive or whatever the Yao label du jour is.

So not only does this shortchange China with regards to diversity, but it does so to the United States also.

China is just too large a country with too many people in order for one man to represent. And if people just ascribe certain personality traits to a country at large then I don't see how we truly can change the "View of Chinese People", which was the original question posed by this thread.

BTW, I'm sure there are some NBA stars that have lived with their parents (or maybe just mother's) during the first few years of their career. Vince Carter?

The most interesting thing I wanted to learn about Yao since he was from China is how close the culture of Communism in China is to the social democracy of the United States. It seems to me from what I have gleaned from Yao we are very close together.

I think this does reflect in Yao's team first attitudes. And his willingness to not self promote his individual goals.

Communism teaches that the state comes first. So Yao in his book naturally stated that if it came to whether he could play in the NBA or the Chinese national team he would pick the Chinese national team.

I don't think our cultures are that far apart at least politically.

I ho[e that will satisfy your curiosity ....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:33 am
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
Thats great to know.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:12 pm
Posts: 357Location: bay areaJoined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:39 pm
im pretty sure yao gave alot of inspiration and hope to the chinese people that anything is possible. yall think Liu Xiang wouldve got gold in the hurdles if yao wasnt who he have become?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
This has to be a question for those that have been flooded by sterotypes of China... Like some of me mates who have some pretty radical and outrageous opinions on China... Thank God for Yao :roll:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:31 pm
kenghis wrote:
This has to be a question for those that have been flooded by sterotypes of China... Like some of me mates who have some pretty radical and outrageous opinions on China... Thank God for Yao :roll:

But Yao is not the Chinese people.
He is just one chinese guy.

He is not even your average chinese guy.
people who accepts stereotypes are seriously misguided.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 12Location: Australia - ChinaJoined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:41 am
Yeah, he is just one guy. Isn't Michael Jordan just a guy?
So far Yao has done his job both on the field and off the field, that's enough for one guy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:51 am
why are u digging up old old post?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:01 am
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
i never knew that chinese people could hold a grudge for so long... cough japan cough.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
FFz wrote:
i never knew that chinese people could hold a grudge for so long... cough japan cough.

Well you can also direct the same question to the Koreans. :roll:

Offline Profile