<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  Other asian fans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:31 am
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
Yes, alot of asians do have an identity issue that they prefer worshipping black and white and brown athletes rather than their countrymen or fellow yellow athletes.

Ok, having a respect and admiration for an athlete is fine (i am big fan of barkley and ben wallace's of the nba as i repeated many a times). But our heros should like us, in that the same color.

THAT'S why all asians should support yao ming and liu xiang and ichiros of the world.

Although the world isnt perfect, and the colonial complex is still strong. I hope all asians in this forum makes a little difference and strive to honour our fellow yellow heros instead of making heros of outsiders.

Finally, a big ho-ha to kenghis, good to see another aussie in the forum.

Yea man we need more Aussies here that's for sure!
Sorry I overlooked the last line of your post :lol:

Ok here's my 2 cents worth

Firstly, Yao Ming is bringing back to the NBA something which has been sadly missed for a few years which is a true Centre that strikes fear into the opponent's heart. While I won't say that Yao is quite a terror at the moment it is obvious if he is able to stay healthy and work hard he will definitely become what Shaq has become in the past few years, which is a freakin' BEAST and the other teams will think twice before planting a toenail in his domain. :twisted: :twisted:

It's been a long time since I've seen a 7 footer with some real moves underneath the basket able to post up or shoot a fade away at a high % and block a shot convincingly rather than just being some high-flyer with "some" post moves. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the greatness of KG or even half-@arsed hero's like Odom but don't someone out there miss the great battles between Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, and MARK EATON (go JAZZ :lol: ). I mean watching great Centres go head to head was as good as watching any other type of match-up like T-mac Vs Kobe.

You children must remember back when Olajuwon was on a roll and he just ripped The Admiral, Ewing and EVEN poorl little Shaq (in his Pre-Laker first nba finals trip). He showed Shaq that bball and playing Centre was not all about muscles and Dunks.. it was about skill and making FREE THROWS :lol:

So for all you true ballers out there you should support and appreciate what Yao has brought (back) to the game! and this goes especially for all you Asians out there! it shows that's there's hope for asians in the sport! (and with Tabuse there's really hope for all the shorties out there too 8) )

Here's another 2 cents, IF bloody Drexler can make a comeback then King Stockton is more than qualified to make a come back (I wish) as you'd all agree he still had plenty of game left in him! (There's still an opening at the PG position on the Lackers right? 8) ) :wink:

Lastly I just want to say, yes, at least from what I've seen most asians still play like guards and the most big arse asians are too pu$$y to play rough ball down low... sad sad sad... :cry:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:30 am
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
Chuck__187 wrote:
wudude wrote:
Chuck__187 wrote:
Yes, alot of asians do have an identity issue that they prefer worshipping black and white and brown athletes rather than their countrymen or fellow yellow athletes.

Ok, having a respect and admiration for an athlete is fine (i am big fan of barkley and ben wallace's of the nba as i repeated many a times). But our heros should like us, in that the same color.

THat why all asians should support yao ming and liu xiang and ichiros of the world.

Although the world isnt perfect, and the colonial complex is still strong. I hope all asians in this forum makes a little difference and strive to honour our fellow yellow heros instead of making heros of outsiders.

Finally, a big ho-ha to kenghis, good to see another aussie in the forum.

Well actually it's because Yao Ming is so tall and his playing very awkward compare to most azn americans who I have encountered in several places, that play a more fast pace Steve Francis-like game. If we could get a Michael Jordan of the azn world into the NBA, then there would definetly be more azns intersted in azn atheltles.

I think your stereotyping too much. Asians are not appreciably shorter and not all asians are gaurds.
Its simply cos many asians are too much into the western culture and prefer westernised heros rather than their own kind.
Harsh but true.

Being tall is only a small fraction of Yao's popularity. Heck Bradley is taller and he get hardly any publicy. Same can be said about Jaber, Mureasan, Bol and whole bunch of others.
YAo can play and his the first decent asian baller. His popular cos his GOOD and cos his the first of a kind. Thats the bottom line.

lol, I do sound like I am stereotyping my own kind but it's the truth because I have never notice anyone trying to imitate Shaq (other then his pathetic free throws lol) or any other big men because they play different from most people who aren't uber tall or so. That goes with the same thing as Yao and the asian community who overall from experiences have a much more fast pace game.

Actually being tall and chinese is what really made Yao get notice because alot of stereotypes revolve around azn people being small and have a chinese player not only enter the NBA as a star but also has a 7'6 pole of a man. However his true popularity stems from being draft number 1 in the NBA and that is what makes Yao different from the Wang.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:25 pm
I never ever had the idea that asians were shorter. Infact, i am glad i didnt believe alot of the anti-asian (or more specifically anti-chinese) stereotypes - although some of them are true.

On average me and my circle of friends (approx 10 ppl) would probarly be at MOST 1-2 inches on average shorter than white ppl. So the difference is absolutely too minor to make any sort of stereotype.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:34 pm
Chuck__187 wrote:
I never ever had the idea that asians were shorter. Infact, i am glad i didnt believe alot of the anti-asian (or more specifically anti-chinese) stereotypes - although some of them are true.

On average me and my circle of friends (approx 10 ppl) would probarly be at MOST 1-2 inches on average shorter than white ppl. So the difference is absolutely too minor to make any sort of stereotype.

I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying...

There are most under 6 foot people then people over 7 foot lol, so people can who are like 6 foot or around that can draw better from people their own height such as AI, Kobe, and T-Mac while Yao Ming is 7 feet... When was the last time you seen a 7 footer at your school?

I am trying to find the stats though, but it said that the average american height is 5'10(there are many varieties of people here but the majority is white) and the average chinese height is 5'6 or something around that. This could be due to the fact that the chinese people have faced many famines so malnutrition can halt growth (excample is North Korea).

The gravational pull is also very high around asia too but thats not a big factor but very intersting.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:06 am
All my asian friends grew up in australia eating high protein australian foods, so given the same environment as white ppl the height difference is negliable.

Ofcourse Asian ppl from China and north Korea and poor countries are gonna be shorter. Nutrition is big factor.
White ppl from poor and famine countries from say Albania and Romania are probarly short.

I would say that genetically over the whole sample of white and asian ppl from the SAME COUNTRY with the SAME DIET compared - that white are slightly taller but i'm talkin 1-2 inches difference, thats too negliable to make significant stereotypes over.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:34 am
Posts: 1364Location: CanadaJoined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:51 pm
you guys are so overeacting with other asians that support or not support Yao... the truth being is that you cant just like some1 cause they look like you. sure that y i amin support of yao and ichiro but i am not excluding myslef to Asians athletes, What's wrong with MJ or Iverson? Yao is a big man and his game isnt like that of shooting guards, in matter of fact if i dint have a ppassion for Yao, i would rather fuind his game prettym dull to watch. a lot of asians basketball fans still think yao got a weak mindset. hopefuly this year ge'll get more emotional.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:59 am
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
Viet_bange wrote:
a lot of asians basketball fans still think yao got a weak mindset. hopefuly this year ge'll get more emotional.

Yea I know some of those people too and so I jumped them with a potato sack over their heads and thumped the crap out of these INFIDELS! :twisted:

Take note now, season 2004-2005 will exhibit the breakout season for two players. Yao Ming :P and Andrei Kirilenko :D :D

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:53 am
User avatarPosts: 636Location: Expect more than others think is possible.Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:38 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
All my asian friends grew up in australia eating high protein australian foods, so given the same environment as white ppl the height difference is negliable.

Ofcourse Asian ppl from China and north Korea and poor countries are gonna be shorter. Nutrition is big factor.
White ppl from poor and famine countries from say Albania and Romania are probarly short.

I would say that genetically over the whole sample of white and asian ppl from the SAME COUNTRY with the SAME DIET compared - that white are slightly taller but i'm talkin 1-2 inches difference, thats too negliable to make significant stereotypes over.

I'm almost pure Vietnamese and I'm 5'10", so I guess I'm average American height. I have to agree with Chuck, nutrition is very important. I grew up eating lots of red meat and consuming calcium. The funny thing is, I grew up in America but was not born here. All my younger cousins who were born in the states are over 6'0" feet tall. One of them is 6"2 and he's still in high school. It's crazy. I wish I was born here so I could've eaten the right nutrition from the start.

So yeah, I don't get this short asian stereotype. There's a lot of older asians who are short, but the younger generation is usually bigger. Shoot, when I visited Italy and other parts of the world like Mexico and the carribean, even at my height I was taller than 75% of the guys over in those places. My advice to younger asians still going thru puberty, yes eat your meats and veggies and get plenty of milk. There's a reason why blacks in africa are shorter than blacks in the US :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:02 am
How affective are growth hormones???

Are there risks involved such as:

Brain damage, Loss of balance, Heart problems, etc ???

-Shanghai

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:20 pm
Shanghai wrote:
How affective are growth hormones???

Are there risks involved such as:

Brain damage, Loss of balance, Heart problems, etc ???

-Shanghai

Why the ****** would you want to take growth hormones?

Offline Profile WWW