<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  YAO MING - NATIONAL FLAG BEARER IN THE OLYMPICS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:12 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
The Olympics is less than 1 month away.

One of the hottest topic of debate/discussion nowadays in the Chinese sports websites/newspaper is: Is Yao Ming the appropriate candidate to be the national flag bearer/hoister leading the Chinese athlete delegation during the Olympics Opening Ceremony ???

http://sports.tom.com/3583/20040718-384421.html

Traditonally, the national bearers in the past Olympics had the following common characteristics:-

1. Male
  2. Tall
  3. Handsome
  4. Most of them are from basketball national team
:arrow: 1984 Los Angeles Olympics: Wang Libin
:arrow: 1988 Seoul Olympics: Song Tao
:arrow: 1992 Barcelona Olympics: Song Ligang
:arrow: 1996 Atlanta Olympics: Liu Yudong
:arrow: 2000 Sydney Olympics: Liu Yudong

As the national flag bearer/hoister represented the image of the full delegation, a lot of elements had to be taken into consideration: Image; appearance; height; makings etc.

People that supported the idea are of the opinion that given Yao Ming's height and good personal image, his NBA achievement and international renown reputation, he is the best candidate available.

People that are against it felt that he is just too tall when compared with all the other athlete members in the delegation; another concern is being the national flag hoister/bearer is a very tiring task, and they want to protect Yao Ming and allow him more rest.

SO what do you guys think ??? For or Against ??? :shock: :roll: :?: :idea: 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:05 am
Posts: 188Location: San DiegoJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:47 pm
Too tiring as flag bearer? THAT'S a concern? I don't think it's anything Yao can't handle. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:12 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Alibaba wrote:
Too tiring as flag bearer? THAT'S a concern? I don't think it's anything Yao can't handle. :)

Don't under-estimate that effort. The opening ceremony is a rather lengthy one; the pole with the flag is not a light one too. More importantly, as the national flag bearer/hoister is the first one that lead the delegation, he needs to control the tempo and pace of the delegation. IMO, it is not exactly an easy task. :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:50 am
User avatarPosts: 3321Location: L AJoined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:07 am
of course its not an easy task if you're not in shape.

yao should be able to lift that flag w/ his own fingers. :D 8) :wink: :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 3042Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
I want Yao to hold to Chinese Nationalk flag.
Look how much he stands out for his country, everybody will be looking at him. He'd be gr8 for China!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:05 pm
supraman wrote:
I want Yao to hold to Chinese Nationalk flag.
Look how much he stands out for his country, everybody will be looking at him. He'd be gr8 for China!!!

yao can do it.

he wants to do it.

hell if he doesnt want to do it i'll do it for him.

i think i can carry the chinese flag. no prob.

lol :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:13 pm
Well, who else is in the running? WZZ? :lol:

I think Yao is the perfect candidate... except this is in Greece and with all the terrorists running around... I say we save Yao for 2008.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:58 pm
HEY, wuts up YMM forums. I've been readin this site and its forum's for over a year, and i finally stopped bein lazy and joined!!! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:17 pm
LOL !!!! Can you believe it ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

While the members of the Chinese Olympic Committee are still arguing whether they should let Yao Ming or Liu Xiang (1.88M, the top Chinese hurdler) or Li Nan (1.98M, Captain of the China men basketball national team) to be the national flag bearer in the Olympic opening ceremony, 2 other candidates come into the picture.

http://2004.sina.com.cn/cn/other/2004-07-24/40136.html

And the 2 are female athlete. :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

:arrow: Sui Feifei, 1.84M Captain of the Chinese women basketball national team; MVP and star in Chinese women basketball

:arrow: Zhao Ruirui, 1.96M, the star spiker/blocker on the Chinese women vollyeball national team.

Their supporters felt that Yao Ming is just too d@mn tall, and it maybe more appropriate to let a female athlete to bear the national flag to show the world the beauty and grace of Chinese females !!!

So WHAT do you guys think ???? :shock: :roll: :?: :idea: 8) :wink:

Zhao Ruirui

Sui Feifei

Liu Xiang

Li Nan

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:04 pm

wow...

she can ball me up anytime she wants.

shes cute :roll:

Offline Profile