<  Yao's impact on the Asian community  ~  Yao Ming Voted 2007 Top 10 Most Influential Chinese

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:50 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
[size=117]
Did anyone see this show "You Bring Charm To This World?" last night on Phoenix TV?

http://phtv.ifeng.com/hotspot/07331/#jbhc

[color=darkred]Yao Ming was amongst 25 people nominated for [b]one of China

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:58 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Yao Ming was not able to be there in Beijing, but he sent in his Mom to recieve the award for him, and he was connected onto the show with satelitte and gave his thank you speech.

Last edited by pryuen on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:45 am

Below is the transcript of Yao Ming's Thank You Speech conveyed through video connected over satelitte.

Always as humble as ever......

http://phtv.ifeng.com/hotspot/07331/bj/ ... 7677.shtml

In Summary

• Yao Ming: Da Jia Hao (Hello everybody) I am Yao Ming! I want to use a special way to attend the promulgation ceremony, and I thank everybody from the bottom of my heart for your support. Today is a special day as far as I'm concerned, but I would not have got this recognition and honor without the encouragement and support from everybody. I hope I will always receive the same kind of support from everybody in future. Thanks to you all. Actually I was injured and down at a time that I should not have injured. Now all I can do is to have a peace of mind to rest and rehabilitate from my injury so as to participate in the Olympics. Hope there will not be any relapses in my injury/wound.
  • When asked how he felt about the award, Yao Ming said: My biggest feeling right now has to be (my gratitude to) all the people that had helped me in the past: my team mates, my coaches, as well as the general media, fans and audience. It is for their support that I have become what I am now. It is a great honor to bestow this award to me. As I looked back into the name list of past recipients, there were people like Liu Xiang, Franklin Yang Chenning that are well-known and prominent to the Chinese world/community. That makes me feel there are still a lot of things I need to do, and it also means I have a lot of mileage to cover from now on, particularly so this forthcoming 2008 Olympics in Beijing this year. How should I put it? I thought such an award and recognition for me has come too early.
  • When asked now that he is no longer that foreign rookie of 6 seasons ago trying to crack into the highly competitive NBA, and that his star power and leadership status in the Houston Rockets had been affirmed, how he felt about being viewed as the Global Image Spokesperson for Chinese, and what he needs to do, Yao Ming said: "First, I have to thank everyone's affirmation/recognition. As the Global Image Spokesperson for Chinese? That's too big a responsibility. I do not pay too much attention/emphasis to this, and I am just striving to complete what I'm supposed to do. This cannot be separated with the education I got from my family since my childhood and the affection bestowed upon me by the society. As to how can I do a better job? I think all I need to do is to think how I can repay the society all the time, regardless it is the Chinese or American society, as both have been of great help to me to my growth and development.

Offline Profile