<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Jeremy Lin Beijing Ducks & CBA thread

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm
Posts: 4696Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
Lin was a singularity in the sports of basketball. To the western world, his every demand would seem ridiculous and breaking social norm. His agents will be fighting doubt, most agents wouldn't even take Lin, being more trouble than it's worth. Negotiating is a part of the agent's job. So, if you accept the narrative that Lin was asking for "too much" and inflexible on demands, then It's on you that is rigid and in the social prison.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here. I don't think I'm being rigid or in the social prison when I look at his situation...31 years old, missed 2 of the last 3 years due to injury, including a very serious injury that has ended a few NBA careers before...and then that stretch of 20 games with the Raptors that were just plain awful when the Raptors basically gave him every chance in the world to earn a significant role for the playoffs. Any reasonable GM would look at any player with that history with some uncertainty...and use that uncertainty as rationale to not guarantee a role on a team. I agree that if he had trouble finding a role after his year in Charlotte or Houston, or even the Lakers, then that would probably be caused by some social-prison-like attitude...but this off-season had too many questions for him to make demands...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 15707Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
If you check the forum history, I was the first to predict Jeremy Lin to join CBA and his fall from NBA. It didn't take a genius to see that Jeremy was generating resentment to some NBA members, even in the front office.

The all-star weekend after during Linsanity, CP3 was hating hard on Jeremy calling out Melo that Lin was "his boy". This and seeing Jason Kidd hard foul Lin and causing him to stress his knee on landing. The bulk of the established players either didn't care for Linsanity or straight up had animosity. Lin was straight up ran out of town at NY and at HOU. I would say a bulk majority of GMs in the NBA are incompetent and got their job from nepotism (NYK)

But back to my main point, I feel that the "NBA Family" owed it to Jeremy to grant him an respectable end to his NBA career. If anything, for good will to Asian basketball community and good optics.

To those people that say that NBA is a business, then I would answer by saying that it's bad business to not understand the market. Asians and Westerners think differently.

Westerners are more willing to resolve things with conflict had have winners and losers.

Easterners are more about relationships and long term projection, no eternal friends or enemies.

So, to westerners pov Lin lost in the competition of gaining a spot on NBA roster.

However, to Chinse pov, CBA is a continuation, chapter to the Jeremy Lin Story.

Was Jeremy Lin a part of the NBA story? Or, was NBA a part of the story of Jeremy Lin?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 am
Malorkayel wrote:
If you check the forum history, I was the first to predict Jeremy Lin to join CBA and his fall from NBA. It didn't take a genius to see that Jeremy was generating resentment to some NBA members, even in the front office.

The all-star weekend after during Linsanity, CP3 was hating hard on Jeremy calling out Melo that Lin was "his boy". This and seeing Jason Kidd hard foul Lin and causing him to stress his knee on landing. The bulk of the established players either didn't care for Linsanity or straight up had animosity. Lin was straight up ran out of town at NY and at HOU. I would say a bulk majority of GMs in the NBA are incompetent and got their job from nepotism (NYK)

But back to my main point, I feel that the "NBA Family" owed it to Jeremy to grant him an respectable end to his NBA career. If anything, for good will to Asian basketball community and good optics.

To those people that say that NBA is a business, then I would answer by saying that it's bad business to not understand the market. Asians and Westerners think differently.

Westerners are more willing to resolve things with conflict had have winners and losers.

Easterners are more about relationships and long term projection, no eternal friends or enemies.

So, to westerners pov Lin lost in the competition of gaining a spot on NBA roster.

However, to Chinse pov, CBA is a continuation, chapter to the Jeremy Lin Story.

Was Jeremy Lin a part of the NBA story? Or, was NBA a part of the story of Jeremy Lin?

Good post. I agree.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:51 am
He got blocked at his first CBA preseason game. :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 am
CBA is such a ****** hole that Lin's skill is shrinking. I doubt NBA will consider him in the future :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:36 pm
I didn't want to say this, but It makes no sense for Yao Ming to promote Jeremy Lin's career in CBA and NBA.

Yao Ming Legacy in Basketball conflicts with Jeremy Lin.

I think all parties involved knows this. Lin took the money, now he has to do his job.

IF you want to blame, blame Taiwan for being weak and Joe Tsai. They were quick to claim Lin on the Rise, then can't pay up to protect their interest and reputation.

CBA doesn't owe Lin jack sh1t, they are in fact paying him $3 Mil.

Directs Hoot is a moron as usual.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:59 am
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-jerem ... n-the-cba/

“I dreamed of playing in the NBA since I was a child,” said the former Toronto Raptor. “Although there is no NBA contract this year, I had invitations from many other leagues, and though my agent told me the fastest route back to the NBA was to play in Europe, I told myself years ago that I would definitely play in the CBA.”

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:56 am
PhilNYC wrote:
https://clutchpoints.com/nba-news-jeremy-lin-turned-down-several-non-nba-offers-to-play-in-the-cba/

“I dreamed of playing in the NBA since I was a child,” said the former Toronto Raptor. “Although there is no NBA contract this year, I had invitations from many other leagues, and though my agent told me the fastest route back to the NBA was to play in Europe, I told myself years ago that I would definitely play in the CBA.”

Yeah, Lin is walking the razor's edge. Some CBA players will definitely resent Jeremy. Lin will have to prove himself to China, and Lin will always been used as propaganda by US, TW, CN.

You simply need to look at post of dumb@ss Directs Hoot/N1g. History of being a Lin hater, however, he spams Lin posts now to make CBA look bad. DHOOT is tripping over himself to post Lin lowlights here.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:15 am
User avatarPosts: 4790Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
Lin did say representing Asians was more important to him than winning an NBA Championship. NBA owners, of course, care more about their team winning championships than they care about Asians.

Lin is now in the CBA. Maybe there will be a young Chinese PG who gets to now watch Lin in person -- believe he can one day play in the NBA. Youngsters need a role model to succeed.

Just like American-born Vietnamese soccer player, Lee Nguyen, who went to his parent's motherland to play in the country's domestic soccer league -- he became the biggest star and highest paid player in Vietnam.

I see the same happening to Lin.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:53 am
Quote:
Just like American-born Vietnamese soccer player, Lee Nguyen, who went to his parent's motherland to play in the country's domestic soccer league -- he became the biggest star and highest paid player in Vietnam.

That's usually true b/c 3rd-world countries' sport is still far behind US, no matter basketball, soccer or baseball, hockey, etc. That's also true for the entertainment industry. Bruce Lee, Donnie Yenn, Jet Li, Lihong Wang, Daniel Wu, Crystal Liu went back to HK or China and became the biggest stars there.

Offline Profile