Yao Ming Mania!
http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/

Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent
http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19438
Page 1 of 7

Author:  ko_xinga [ Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:59 am ]
Post subject:  Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

Will he sign with a team in the CBA then renounce his US citizenship to become a citizen of PRC to play for China during Fiba world cup. or will Lin re sign with toronto. Raptors will not have Kawhi or danny green next year so Raptors can use the money to re sign Lin and Lin should get more playing time with a depleted raptors team.

Author:  PhilNYC [ Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

I would say there is zero chance that he renounces his US citizenship.

Author:  PhilNYC [ Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

I will say that now with Kawhi and Green leaving that there is a slight chance that the Raptors give Lin a small 2-year contract (vet minimum) since they are now very thin at guard.

Author:  pryuen [ Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

PhilNYC wrote:
I would say there is zero chance that he renounces his US citizenship.


YUP.... The 2019 World Cup is less than 2 months to go. China national team is already finalizing its Final 12 roster. TOO LATE for Jeremy to join CNT even if he changes his mind right now. And NOT 100% SURE IF China can qualify for the 2023 FIBA World Cup, and by that time Jeremy will be 35 years old.... probably already going down slope or retire from basketball.

Besides getting a good offer to play in CBA does not
NECESSARILY MEAN Jeremy needs to give up his US citizenship in order to live/play in China.

Author:  PhilNYC [ Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

pryuen wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:
I would say there is zero chance that he renounces his US citizenship.


YUP.... The 2019 World Cup is less than 2 months to go. China national team is already finalizing its Final 12 roster. TOO LATE for Jeremy to join CNT even if he changes his mind right now. And NOT 100% SURE IF China can qualify for the 2023 FIBA World Cup, and by that time Jeremy will be 35 years old.... probably already going down slope or retire from basketball.

Besides getting a good offer to play in CBA does not
NECESSARILY MEAN Jeremy needs to give up his US citizenship in order to live/play in China.


Jeremy Lin is an American kid...even if China was going to make it to the World Cup, I don't see any possibility that he would ever want to give up his US citizenship for any kind of reason.

Author:  Dr. No [ Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

IIRC
  • Becky Hammon played for the 2008 Russian Olympic BB team
    without giving up her US citizenship


  • Richard Chang,

      the first and only Asian American to have been
      named to the McDonalds All-American team,

    played for the Taiwan Olympic BB team
    without giving up his US citizenship

Other egs of US Citizens Who Have Competed Against The US At The Olympics


on the flip side,
    in the 2008 Olympics, the U.S. had hurried citizenship status for a Polish kayaker,
    a Chinese table-tennis player, a triathlete from New Zealand, a Kenyan distance runner,
    and an Australian equestrian, among many others who qualify for EB-1 visas
    for people of “extraordinary” abilities.

    Importing athletes has worked for the U.S., producing eight medals between 1992 and 2004, according to The New York Times.

Author:  PhilNYC [ Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

Dr. No wrote:
IIRC
  • Becky Hammon played for the 2008 Russian Olympic BB team
    without giving up her US citizenship


  • Richard Chang,

      the first and only Asian American to have been
      named to the McDonalds All-American team,

    played for the Taiwan Olympic BB team
    without giving up his US citizenship

Other egs of US Citizens Who Have Competed Against The US At The Olympics


on the flip side,
    in the 2008 Olympics, the U.S. had hurried citizenship status for a Polish kayaker,
    a Chinese table-tennis player, a triathlete from New Zealand, a Kenyan distance runner,
    and an Australian equestrian, among many others who qualify for EB-1 visas
    for people of “extraordinary” abilities.

    Importing athletes has worked for the U.S., producing eight medals between 1992 and 2004, according to The New York Times.


I have a friend who swam in the Olympics for Taiwan in the 80s without giving up her US citizenship. With some countries, they don't require that you give up your home country citizenship and allow dual citizenship. But I don't believe China works that way.

Author:  pryuen [ Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

PhilNYC wrote:

I have a friend who swam in the Olympics for Taiwan in the 80s without giving up her US citizenship. With some countries, they don't require that you give up your home country citizenship and allow dual citizenship. But I don't believe China works that way.


YUP China does not allow DUAL NATIONALITY. THAT'S ALSO WHY despite they wish to add players of Chinese born overseas to their national teams of various disciplines, due to this constraint, alot of athletes had opted NOT TO DO SO, i.e. giving up their original citizenship/nationality.

Author:  robWu [ Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

well if NJ decides to bring him back, KD just took his number!

Author:  PhilNYC [ Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

pryuen wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:

I have a friend who swam in the Olympics for Taiwan in the 80s without giving up her US citizenship. With some countries, they don't require that you give up your home country citizenship and allow dual citizenship. But I don't believe China works that way.


YUP China does not allow DUAL NATIONALITY. THAT'S ALSO WHY despite they wish to add players of Chinese born overseas to their national teams of various disciplines, due to this constraint, alot of athletes had opted NOT TO DO SO, i.e. giving up their original citizenship/nationality.


I’d also guess that if Lin ever gave up his US citizenship, he would lose maybe all of his non-Asian fans in the US. Citizenship is not something you give up just for a short term sports opportunity.

Page 1 of 7 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/