<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Is Jeremy Lin still a free agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:16 am
User avatarPosts: 4544Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
PhilNYC wrote:
pryuen wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:

I have a friend who swam in the Olympics for Taiwan in the 80s without giving up her US citizenship. With some countries, they don't require that you give up your home country citizenship and allow dual citizenship. But I don't believe China works that way.

YUP China does not allow DUAL NATIONALITY. THAT'S ALSO WHY despite they wish to add players of Chinese born overseas to their national teams of various disciplines, due to this constraint, alot of athletes had opted NOT TO DO SO, i.e. giving up their original citizenship/nationality.

I’d also guess that if Lin ever gave up his US citizenship, he would lose maybe all of his non-Asian fans in the US. Citizenship is not something you give up just for a short term sports opportunity.

Lin doesn't have that many non asian fans. Probably a few thousand at most. He would lose a few thousand non asian fans but gain a billion fans in Asia. That sounds like a great trade to me. It's like buying bitcoin back in 2010 and cashing them in now. Bitcoin back in 2010 was worth like 10 cents a coin. Today 1 bitcoin is worth over ten thousand.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 am
Posts: 4802Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
ko_xinga wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:
pryuen wrote:

YUP China does not allow DUAL NATIONALITY. THAT'S ALSO WHY despite they wish to add players of Chinese born overseas to their national teams of various disciplines, due to this constraint, alot of athletes had opted NOT TO DO SO, i.e. giving up their original citizenship/nationality.

I’d also guess that if Lin ever gave up his US citizenship, he would lose maybe all of his non-Asian fans in the US. Citizenship is not something you give up just for a short term sports opportunity.

Lin doesn't have that many non asian fans. Probably a few thousand at most. He would lose a few thousand non asian fans but gain a billion fans in Asia. That sounds like a great trade to me. It's like buying bitcoin back in 2010 and cashing them in now. Bitcoin back in 2010 was worth like 10 cents a coin. Today 1 bitcoin is worth over ten thousand.

Giving up citizenship for a short term opportunity is stupid.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
PhilNYC wrote:
ko_xinga wrote:

Giving up citizenship for a short term opportunity is stupid.

YUP.... HOW MANY MORE YEARS Jeremy will play ??? AT MOST 5 OR 7 ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

To give up his US passport for a PRC passport which has very few countries that will allow him travelling to VISA FREE....YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

And even though he had not got MAX CONTRACTS for the various teams he had played for, he had EARNED MORE THAN ENOUGH $$$$$$ for the REST OF HIS LIFE, and made SUFFICIENT CONNECTIONS for him to pursue in whatever business he wants after he stops playing professional basketball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:26 am
Jeremy Lin will probably become a Canadian and then play for Canada. They have higher chance than Taiwan of making it to the Olympics.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:40 am
My guess is that he goes to Taiwan to play with his brother.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
PhilNYC wrote:
My guess is that he goes to Taiwan to play with his brother.

He DID mentioned that in one of his interviews late last year that before he completely retires from professional basketball, he wishes he can play together with BabyLin on one team NOT IN TAIWAN BUT CBA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 pm
There's reports Lin could sign with Charlotte Hornets again for minimum. Any one thinking Lin asking Atlanta to buy out his contract so he could sign with Raptors last year was a bad idea. If he stayed in Atlanta he could be getting a much bigger contract noww since he was putting up much bigger numbers and had higher FG% when he was with atlanta hawks. his numbers gone down significantly after moving to toronto.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:48 am
User avatarPosts: 113Location: Bordeaux (FRANCE)Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:47 am
Close to all of us i think.
That ended up to be a disastrous move for his career but at the time it looked like the best choice to do.

Cameron Payne just sign with the Raptors taking the 3 rd PG spot.
Time for Jay in Toronto is officialy over.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:53 am
cadburykiller wrote:
Close to all of us i think.
That ended up to be a disastrous move for his career but at the time it looked like the best choice to do.

Cameron Payne just sign with the Raptors taking the 3 rd PG spot.
Time for Jay in Toronto is officialy over.

Yeah, I never really thought Lin had any real interest in staying in Toronto one VanVleet solidifies his place as the #2 guard. Even with Danny Green’s departure, Lin would be the #3 PG and the #4 G overall...his minutes would be limited. I’m sure he is looking for a #2 or #3 G role...and that wouldn’t even be guaranteed in Charlotte.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:08 am
Lin should go back to NY Knicks. Maybe a miracle can happen again like last time when Linsanity was born in NYC.

Offline Profile