<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Flying First Class?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:24 pm
Posts: 4663Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:26 pm
he's too cheap to fly business on his own dime.

guess he doesn't have the miles to upgrade yet. has to hit up Taiwan a few more times a year

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:51 am
User avatarPosts: 2161Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:06 pm
Are you serious.....Jeremy Lin a millionaire too cheap to afford himself a first-class seat? Damn...the saying is true...you can take the boy out of chinatown but you can't take chinatown out of him. In other word: CHEAP. lol

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 am
Posts: 4663Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
His tweet says he got that seat because it was a last-minute ticket. Maybe first class was sold out...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 am
well for a flight from LA to Houston you don't have to be chinatown CHEAP to balk at the cost

I mean it's a 3 hour flight and 5x the cost.

if it was a 737 or something then you're talking about one of those small planes with 3 rows of business class at the front of the plane

transocean or cross continent it would make sense but almost all those ppl you see on those short flights are FF upgrades and things.

Bill Gates famously used to fly coach. although now he bought into Warren Buffett's charter airlines and he flies on private jets

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 pm
Posts: 493Location: Cloud nineJoined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:26 pm
I believe he was flying to Aspen, CO. from SFO, most likely on United to train with DH. This route is notoriously high priced because lack of competition and all the rich people going to Aspen, economy tickets generally run $500-600.

For most major carriers, United, American, Delta etc...Frequent flyers, especially the top levels almost always receive complimentary upgrades on domestic flights. UA and AA give top level 100k miles flyers 6 and 8 systemwide upgrades certs respectively. The systemwide certs are good for international flights. It's never a good value to use miles to upgrade.

If Lin had the Amex Black Card, it includes lots of airlines and hotels elite benefits without having to be a roadwarrior. That's one of the reasons many high income earners have the Black Card, it's by invitation only.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm
temuchin wrote:
guess he doesn't have the miles to upgrade yet. has to hit up Taiwan a few more times a year

Use miles to upgrade? It's never a good value proposition. Especially with the high price economy fare bucket required to use miles for upgrade. You're almost better off paying for deep discounted Biz class tickets.

Also, you can't upgrade using miles from different carriers. Even if they are on the same alliance, they do not have reciprocal benefits, except in some rare cases like Lufthansa and Swiss which is owned by Luthansa.

Lin flies to Taiwan on China airlines. They are probably giving him complimentary Business or First Class tickets just for the publicity he'll bring them.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:28 pm
no I mean he doesn't have the miles to get upgraded.

you bring up a good point though if he flies Air China to Taiwan. I assumed he would fly United or an American carrier, but that's just what an American would think. it actually makes sense that they'd fly him over on a Chinese carrier

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:47 pm
temuchin wrote:
no I mean he doesn't have the miles to get upgraded.

you bring up a good point though if he flies Air China to Taiwan. I assumed he would fly United or an American carrier, but that's just what an American would think. it actually makes sense that they'd fly him over on a Chinese carrier

Yeah, he probaly hasn't flown enough commercial flights to have status for free upgrades on US based airlines. The black card would be perfect for him, but he's probably too frugal to pay the $7500 initiation fee and $2500/yr due. OT, on one of my recent flights, Joakim Noah was sitting acrross from me in domestic first, dude's legs were all the way out in the aisle. His flying posse of 3 were in the back in coach.

Air China is mainland carrier, China Airlines is Taiwan national carrier, though they suck compared to Eva. UA and AA don't have flights to Taiwan, they have code-share operated by their partner airlines. UA used to have flights to Taipei, but it was discontinued.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
YM wrote:

Lin flies to Taiwan on China airlines. They are probably giving him complimentary Business or First Class tickets just for the publicity he'll bring them.

If I'm not mistaken, China Airline is one of the many commercial endorsers for Jeremy Lin.

Jeremy has at least the following endorsers:
  • Nike
  • Volvo
  • KFC China
  • SafeGuard of P&G
  • Gatorade
  • Steiner Sports
  • Cathay Financials
  • China Airline
His contract with Nike is nearing its end; and the latest news is China Peak is contemplating to compete with Nike to sign Jeremy to add him to China Peak's long list of NBA stars (Tony Parker, Shane Battier, George Hill, Kyle Lowry, Chase Budinger, Carl Landry, Patrick Patterson, JaVale McGee, Samuel Dalembert etc.)

Offline Profile