<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Steve Nash Foundation Charity Game: LA Showdown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:20 am
User avatarPosts: 15529Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
PhilNYC wrote:
Malorkayel wrote:
directshoot wrote:
How good is his soccer skill? He doesn't even have a pair of soccer shoes?

Most athletes have great body control and reflexes. He can probably beat people with pure talent alone.

However, Lin was probably just fooling around and not serious during this celebrity event.

Handling a ball with your feet is not a skill that anyone is born with...

athletes pick stuff up very fast. especially a guy that plays skill positions.

Lin is also tall and faster than 99% of the people in the world. I also think he played some soccer from what I recall in interviews.

You make it sound like dribbling a soccer ball is hard.

I mean, Chinese and American soccer sck, but still :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 am
How is his speed for short sprint? For example, 100m.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 am
Posts: 4546Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
Malorkayel wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:
Malorkayel wrote:
directshoot wrote:
How good is his soccer skill? He doesn't even have a pair of soccer shoes?

Most athletes have great body control and reflexes. He can probably beat people with pure talent alone.

However, Lin was probably just fooling around and not serious during this celebrity event.

Handling a ball with your feet is not a skill that anyone is born with...

athletes pick stuff up very fast. especially a guy that plays skill positions.

Lin is also tall and faster than 99% of the people in the world. I also think he played some soccer from what I recall in interviews.

You make it sound like dribbling a soccer ball is hard.

I mean, Chinese and American soccer sck, but still :P

There were pro soccer players at the event. Steve Nash is an experienced and talented soccer player. Dribbling a soccer ball while playing against pro-level players is incredibly difficult, even if you are a pro athlete. Can you imagine a soccer player (even at the pro level) trying to play basketball against NBA players?

If he played soccer in his younger days, then he might have developed some skills in it. But given his focus on basketball growing up, I doubt he spent a lot of time with soccer.

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 am
Btw - being tall is not an advantage in soccer (unless you are talking about heading the ball). Most of the best soccer players in the world are under 6ft (eg. Messi is 5'7")...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 am
Being a tall is an advantage in 2 areas: goal keeping and dead ball situations. For example executing a play off a corner kick. Also possibly defending against a free kick. There's probably a way it could be used for small advantage off free throws but I'm not aware of any

The bottom line is that soccer players are just better athletes than basketball players, in the areas that soccer covers. They don't have to be tall because they're the most coordinated and nimble athletes in the world.

Basketball is widely hyped as having the best athletes in the world but basketball actually has 2 very strong parameters that limits the athletic attributes of its players.

For the most part the fact that the rim is 10 feet off the ground destroys its potential pool of athletic talent. The rule of thumb is that 1% of the population is over 6 feet. For the NBA the break point is probably averages 6 inches higher.

You're basically talking about the most coordinated ppl that are already in this .5% pool. How can a pool that excludes 99.5% of the population then find the most athletic people. You can't. In the NBA you're talking about the most athletic tall people who happen to be a tiny fragment of the actual talent pool.

It's like saying, we're going to find the most beautiful woman in the world, and then only looking at natural blondes. Or the most beautiful Asian and looking only at Koreans. Yeah you'll find a beautiful woman. Will she be the most beautiful? Whatever that is? Probably. And that's if you can even quantify what is "most beautiful" like "most athletic"

The other factor, obviously is that 1% pool is further decreased because you're really only looking at black people for all intents and purposes because the NBA is such a specialized sport of leaping and exploding from stop and go 1v1 situations where the offensive player has a huge advantage.

If somehow those restrictions could be negated you'd be looking at a much much much higher ceiling of dribbling, shooting, and playmaking than you see in the NBA. You'd see some ****** that are literally marvels of human achievement like you see Messi and Maradona. In truth you rarely see AMAZING in the NBA other than guys taking 2 extra steps and dunking on someone. It's entirely 1 dimensional and you rarely see excellent stuff.

Soccer has no handicaps. You literally have the most athletic, most coordinated, most nimble guys and you see the guys with the most evolutionarily developed court sense, spacial acuity etc. That's why these guys are mainly normal sized guys, that's where the bulk of the population is by the numbers and it makes sense the evolutionary freaks are in that fat middle of the curve.

Phil nailed it when he said "being tall is not an advantage in soccer" NBA athletes are the "best" athletes only in the context of a sport that requires you to be tall and secondarily be black or be good at stuff black are good at. expecting Lin to be good at soccer because he's good at NBA isn't logical.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 am
directshoot wrote:
How is his speed for short sprint? For example, 100m.

because of RACISM Lin was not measured in the 3/4 sprint (23 meters)

lol no seriously Lin wasn't considered a serious prospect so his draft numbers are incomplete

but you can do a search and not get yelled at by pryuen, already covered this last year based on computer calibrated numbers from private workouts that Lin had to pay for

I'm too lazy and disinterested to go back and look at ****** ppl posted on YMM, but you can ask Moranus and nig to go back and pore over ****** for literally a day and a half like they've done in the past for honor and great vengeance canton etc

but google in 5 seconds spit out the results.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... fast-lane/

you can look up past posts for more detailed breakdowns of where lin stacks up versus the NBA. I can't even remember but the bottom line is that Lin is around the top 30% + in terms of athletic ability compared to black NBA players who have been tested. So if you take 10 average NBA point guards/combo guards Lin is better than 7 or 8 of them in terms of just physical athleticism

[quote]Brett Brungardt, BAM

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

MORE photos of Jeremy Lin displaying his soccer skills.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 4750Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
I've seen Lin play basketball... football... and now soccer... next sport: Ice Hockey

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:06 am
yaominginfohere wrote:
I've seen Lin play basketball... football... and now soccer... next sport: Ice Hockey

Reminded me of this Nike Bo Jackson commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GPxkpjCvWI

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:35 am
when I was a little kid Bo was the real deal. mo better than jordan fo sho

I think most ppl on the internet haven't ever heard of him though.

check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bFQHTVEJVk

looking back though given his type of injury and his antics it's likely he was an early juicer. great guy though one of my favorites all time

Offline Profile