<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Dedicated Thread of 2012 Taiwan/China Tour of Jeremy Lin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:09 am
User avatarPosts: 59171Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
[size=117]
An old article 4 yars ago that further substantiated what we're discussing about.

[color=darkred]If Dr. Moranus bothered to open the link that Temuchin provided him with and read that blog entry of Li Dan, or researched further on who Warren Liu (the author of KFC in China: Secret Recipe for Success) is, he will know [b]KFC

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am
Posts: 1319Location: New YorkJoined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:52 pm
Don't people in China have anything better to do? It's like, even if some dleague player goes there, there's a crowd waiting with signs.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:22 am
Posts: 4509Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
dodonose wrote:
Don't people in China have anything better to do? It's like, even if some dleague player goes there, there's a crowd waiting with signs.

True...but in this case, it's the starting PG from the Houston Rockets, not some d-leaguer...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:28 am
User avatarPosts: 15490Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
It shows that people in China have the freedom to celebrate as they see fit.

That's a good thing.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:56 am
Posts: 8230Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
shows they appreciate players. have yao got this kind of attention in usa? :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 pm
Posts: 1319Location: New YorkJoined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:52 pm
Phil, I'm not talking about this specific case. Just in general. I should have added that in my original post.

PhilNYC wrote:
dodonose wrote:

True...but in this case, it's the starting PG from the Houston Rockets, not some d-leaguer...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 59171Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
dodonose wrote:
Phil, I'm not talking about this specific case. Just in general. I should have added that in my original post.

PhilNYC wrote:
dodonose wrote:

Well, personally don't think this phenomenum is UNIQUE ONLY in China. It happens EVERYWHERE. :roll:

You have to understand in every country, there are always travellers flying in either as tourists or first time visitors or business delegations.

So it is NATURAL that representatives from travel agencies or inviting companies or relatives/friends holding signages with the names wirtten on them or other conspicuous signages waiting to greet the incoming visitors/guests.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm
In America, we have entire TV shows dedicated to bums like the Kardashians. Also, women throw themselves to any minor celebrities and child actors get sexually molested.

You want to talk like some fans in Asian airports with signs and cameras like it's a big deal... nega please.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 pm
dodonose wrote:

PhilNYC wrote:
dodonose wrote:

well there are shenanigans. some of those people in some of those mob scenes that annoy you might be bought.

Hollywood definitely pays Indians and SE Asians. there was a controversy when tom cruise paid a bunch of people to come cheer his movie in mumbai. the North Koreans hired fans for soccer matches etc. I often wonder if those korean stars who have thousands of people who show up in Thailand or Europe actually are that popular.

not saying Lin pays ppl but some of the cheering crowds for Kobe back in the day might have been paid off by the promoter to make the entire event better... obviously it's not going to cost them much at all to hire some coolies. then Chinese, like all humans are stupid sheep. seeing huge mass of people cheering some black basketball player would only increase the numbers at the next stop

some American shows pay audiences to come and laugh hard as well. studios plant and pay for reviews etc etc.

so yeah some of it might be suspicious. cheering for Lin though isn't weird at all. he was the most exciting thing in the NBA even during a season that carefully orchestrated the coronation of Lebron

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:48 pm
It doesn't take much to get fans. Just look up youtube and you'll find hundreds of channels where regular people have thousands of fans.

But yeah, some of these photo ops are staged. In the media, it's very rare that what you see is real.

One of my co-workers got paid to go on reality shows and pretend/say what the producers want. Sometimes not even for money, but just a limo ride and parting gifts.

Offline Profile