Author Message

<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Jeremy Lin Had Finally Made His Choice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:15 pm
Posts: 4802Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
slee wrote:
I don't disagree with what you said here. I don't think you can force him to play for anyone if he does not want to. What I was trying to point out is that his choice of Taiwan over China was not because of his allegiance to Taiwan, it was simply because China requires him to denounce his US citizenship - which I think was the ultimate reason.


I agree with this...Jeremy's first priority was to get to the NBA, and if he didn't get any offers, he would have looked for other opportunities to play basketball professionally, most likely in Europe. I doubt International competition for either China or Taiwan national teams was even on his radar until those organizations approached him about it...


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:28 am
User avatarPosts: 4894Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
Have we already assumed Jeremy Lin won't be good enough to play for Team USA?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 am
Posts: 10073Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm
yaominginfohere wrote:
Have we already assumed Jeremy Lin won't be good enough to play for Team USA?


that depends.

do you think Lin is good enough to be an all-star or all defensive team?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:22 am
Posts: 4802Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
yaominginfohere wrote:
Have we already assumed Jeremy Lin won't be good enough to play for Team USA?


Maybe if Harvard had played Duke and JLin had made a positive impression on Coach K, he might have had a shot... :lol:


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:29 am
Posts: 312Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:07 pm
temuchin wrote:
that's not true at all. he could have chosen to play for neither.

he could have tried to play for the US

that he chose to represent Taiwan is an active choice, it's not a default that he has to do as an Asian American. Michael Chang never played for China, Hines Ward never played for Korea

But realistically, looking at his choices. US, China and Taiwan.

US - He's not even going to make the developmental team. He knows he has less than a 2% shot of ever playing Int'l ball for them.
China - Renounce his US citizenship, something that is important to him. Not an option.
Taiwan - Most likely going to be a starter and is able keep US citizenship.

Definitely true that each of the above 3 options are more personal preferences because of heritage and such. He obviously could have sold himself out and done something ala Chris Kaman and Becky Hammon where they played for Germany because they knew they weren't going to be given spots on the US Roster. But he opted for the one that best suited him personally for playing and for keeping what he wants. Can't hate a guy for that.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 am
Posts: 8245Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
YaoMingFan11 wrote:
temuchin wrote:
that's not true at all. he could have chosen to play for neither.

he could have tried to play for the US

that he chose to represent Taiwan is an active choice, it's not a default that he has to do as an Asian American. Michael Chang never played for China, Hines Ward never played for Korea

But realistically, looking at his choices. US, China and Taiwan.

US - He's not even going to make the developmental team. He knows he has less than a 2% shot of ever playing Int'l ball for them.
China - Renounce his US citizenship, something that is important to him. Not an option.
Taiwan - Most likely going to be a starter and is able keep US citizenship.

Definitely true that each of the above 3 options are more personal preferences because of heritage and such. He obviously could have sold himself out and done something ala Chris Kaman and Becky Hammon where they played for Germany because they knew they weren't going to be given spots on the US Roster. But he opted for the one that best suited him personally for playing and for keeping what he wants. Can't hate a guy for that.

if taiwan doesnt allow dual citizenship, do u think he will play at all?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:44 am
Posts: 10073Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm
Lin chose to play for Taiwan because he wanted to play for Taiwan.

There's really not much to say. Whatever other reasons there are the bottom line is if he plays for Taiwan it's because he wants to play for Taiwan.

Not sure why this is in any way a big deal. Given the choice many Chinese Americans would not want to represent China for any number of reasons. It's a personal choice and there could be 1000 reasons why... ranging from thinking CNT commitments might ****** up his conditioning in the Summers like it did Yao in some noobs' minds to thinking Taiwan rules and China sucks.

Who knows who cares. it's his choice

Quote:
if taiwan doesnt allow dual citizenship, do u think he will play at all?


dual citizenship is bullshit. I'm with Commie China on this one


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 am
Posts: 312Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:07 pm
shokenchi wrote:
]if taiwan doesnt allow dual citizenship, do u think he will play at all?

Nope, probably wouldn't play any international ball at all. Just look at most American players, they're fine knowing that they weren't good enough to represent their country, that there are better players ahead of them.

Some try to find alternatives, like Samuel Dalembart (Haitian) and Matt Bonner (American), who go and represent another country (Canada).


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:56 am
Posts: 227Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:00 am
Chinese Taipei is the designated name used by the Republic of CHINA (ROC), commonly known as Taiwan, to participate in some international organizations and almost all sporting events, such as the OLYMPICS & ASIAN GAMES

TAIWAN = republic of CHINA. Republic of what ???? CHINA CHINA CHINA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Losers fled to an ISLAND OF CHINA then claims themselves to be a WHOLE NEW DIFFERENT country Taiwan. Ha ha. Again Which major countries in the world recognize Taiwan as a COUNTRY ?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:31 am
Posts: 4802Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
I can't imagine that he'd even think about playing for Taiwan now that he's on track to make the GSW's roster. 82 game season is more basketball than he's ever played before, and he'll likely want to spend his summers doing whatever the GSW coaching staff wants him to do...which will likely include summer league next year. The *only* time I would think he's even consider playing International basketball would be for the Olympics, and even then I don't think it would be a sure bet that he would commit to playing for Taiwan.


Offline Profile YIM

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 2 of 3
29 posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum