<  Jeremy Lin  ~  Jeremy Lin Had Finally Made His Choice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:47 am
User avatarPosts: 1682Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 pm
Next summer is still a long time and he's probably trying to place himself in position to play ball as much as he can. Just because he has agreed to play for Taiwan, doesn't mean they'll go far. Playing for Taiwan will give him some international experience that will get scouts also paying attention to him, especially if he can't stick long term with the GSW.

He will also still be considered a local in the CBA, if he chooses to play there right? I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't only his decision, but also influenced by his agent.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 am
User avatarPosts: 1682Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 pm
YaoMingFan11 wrote:
shokenchi wrote:
]if taiwan doesnt allow dual citizenship, do u think he will play at all?

Nope, probably wouldn't play any international ball at all. Just look at most American players, they're fine knowing that they weren't good enough to represent their country, that there are better players ahead of them.

Some try to find alternatives, like Samuel Dalembart (Haitian) and Matt Bonner (American), who go and represent another country (Canada).

Joakim Noah of the Bulls as well, he probably had a chance to make it on Team USA if he had chosen to wait for the World Championships.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 am
PhilNYC wrote:
I can't imagine that he'd even think about playing for Taiwan now that he's on track to make the GSW's roster. 82 game season is more basketball than he's ever played before, and he'll likely want to spend his summers doing whatever the GSW coaching staff wants him to do...which will likely include summer league next year. The *only* time I would think he's even consider playing International basketball would be for the Olympics, and even then I don't think it would be a sure bet that he would commit to playing for Taiwan.

I agree, unlike Yi Jianlian and Sun Yue early on in their careers when they should have been developing with their teams but held out of it because of China, JLin will be doing what's best for his NBA career and that will probably be a lot of summer leaguing and training camp.

When is the 2011 East Asian Games expected to play out? Maybe if its good timing, like in August or beginning of September.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:28 am
User avatarPosts: 15804Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
YaoMingFan11 wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:
I can't imagine that he'd even think about playing for Taiwan now that he's on track to make the GSW's roster. 82 game season is more basketball than he's ever played before, and he'll likely want to spend his summers doing whatever the GSW coaching staff wants him to do...which will likely include summer league next year. The *only* time I would think he's even consider playing International basketball would be for the Olympics, and even then I don't think it would be a sure bet that he would commit to playing for Taiwan.

I agree, unlike Yi Jianlian and Sun Yue early on in their careers when they should have been developing with their teams but held out of it because of China, JLin will be doing what's best for his NBA career and that will probably be a lot of summer leaguing and training camp.

When is the 2011 East Asian Games expected to play out? Maybe if its good timing, like in August or beginning of September.

Sun Yue didn't have much of an NBA career. Also, he was drafted based on his Olympic momentum.

Yi, he's a strange guy. His game is all over the place, was an inside player in China. Became an outside player in the NBA. He shows new skills but can't seem to get it all together yet.

You're right about the team thing, you take pieces out of some teams and they perform completely different. Lopez was sh1t this weekend on Team USA scrimmage. 2 pts 1 TO and 0 rebounds in 18 minutes. During interview I heard asked if it was Yi affecting his game. J/K :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:29 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

Well, the 2011 FIBA Asian Championship (which is the qualification tournament for 2012 London Olympics) is scheduled to be played in Beirut, Lebanon next year. Exact time NOT YET DETERMINED.

Normally, Asian Championships in the past are scheduled in end August/early September, or in some instances late September, very close to the opening of NBA preseason training camps.

And if I'm not mistaken, there will be qualification tournaments held in early part of 2011 (probably around May or June) for the Gulf region, West Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia and Middle Asia (Central Asia and South Asia) to decide teams that can qualify in the Asian Championship Proper.

Chinese Taipei
is usually grouped in the East Asian tournament with China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Mongolia.
The top 2 teams will advance to play in the Asian Championship Proper.

So personally don't think such "national team" commitment for Chinese Taipei will affect Jeremy Lin's NBA career, cos for one thing, by June time frame, the Golden States Warriors would probably be out of the playoffs, and Chinese Taipei could not possibly beat China, South Korea and Japan for the Asian Championship Proper in August/September.

Either way, it does not REALLY matter, cos Chinese Taipei basketball SUX !!! 8)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 am
Posts: 8245Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
pryuen wrote:
YaoMingFan11 wrote:

Well, the 2011 FIBA Asian Championship (which is the qualification tournament for 2012 London Olympics) is scheduled to be played in Beirut, Lebanon next year. Exact time NOT YET DETERMINED.

Normally, Asian Championships in the past are scheduled in end August/early September, or in some instances late September, very close to the opening of NBA preseason training camps.

And if I'm not mistaken, there will be qualification tournaments held in early part of 2011 (probably around May or June) for the Gulf region, West Asia, Southeast Asia, East Asia and Middle Asia (Central Asia and South Asia) to decide teams that can qualify in the Asian Championship Proper.

Chinese Taipei
is usually grouped in the East Asian tournament with China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Mongolia.
The top 2 teams will advance to play in the Asian Championship Proper.

So personally don't think such "national team" commitment for Chinese Taipei will affect Jeremy Lin's NBA career, cos for one thing, by June time frame, the Golden States Warriors would probably be out of the playoffs, and Chinese Taipei could not possibly beat China, South Korea and Japan for the Asian Championship Proper in August/September.

Either way, it does not REALLY matter, cos Chinese Taipei basketball SUX !!! 8)

they beat korea so they have improved a lot.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 4544Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:

Chinese Taipei [/b]is usually grouped in the East Asian tournament with China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Mongolia.[/color] The top 2 teams will advance to play in the Asian Championship Proper.

Either way, it does not REALLY matter, cos Chinese Taipei basketball SUX !!! 8) [/size]

usually China, korea and japan all qualify to play in the asian championships. The last time China korea japan and taiwan all qualified so how can it only be the top 2 teams qualifying when 4 teams qualified the last time. If Yao Ming plays in the tournament they could have the tournament on the moon or wherever China would win it easily.

What about the safety concerns about holding it in Lebanon. Aren't there always terrorists blowing themselves up in lebanon. And what if the Israeli Jews start bombing lebanon during the tournament. I bet these idiots who made the decision to move the tournament to Lebanon are the same idiots who let Australia into AFC football conference.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:22 pm
Posts: 4802Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
pryuen wrote:
So personally don't think such "national team" commitment for Chinese Taipei will affect Jeremy Lin's NBA career, cos for one thing, by June time frame, the Golden States Warriors would probably be out of the playoffs, and Chinese Taipei could not possibly beat China, South Korea and Japan for the Asian Championship Proper in August/September. [/size]

The last thing Jeremy will want is the possibility of seriously injuring himself while playing for the Taiwanese National Team in a game that will do virtually nothing to help him with his NBA career...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
ko_xinga wrote:

usually China, korea and japan all qualify to play in the asian championships. The last time China korea japan and taiwan all qualified so how can it only be the top 2 teams qualifying when 4 teams qualified the last time.

DON'T CHALLENGE ME ON THIS. :roll:

In 2009, in the East Asia qualification tournament, China, sending in their Team II, came 3rd behind Japan and South Korea. But as the 2009 Asian Championship was held in Tianjin, China still qualifies as the host country,

As for Chinese Taipei, they came in 4th, but they got a wildcard invitation by FIBA Asia when Bahrain of West Asia withdrew from the Championship.

SO ONLY 2 TEAMS QUALIFY FROM EACH OF THE SUB-ZONES.

Offline Profile