<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Dedicated Thread: CBA 2012/13 Season and Shanghai Sharks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 pm
I think the WZL to Bateer comparison isn't particularly accurate. WZL has much better forward movement and footwork than Bateer. Bateer was more about size and power while WZL clearly showed he can put the ball on the floor. It's mostly his time-to-vertical and vertical that seems to be the biggest hindrance. I can't imagine his vertical being terribly bad, but it takes him awhile to reach his peak which could be a problem finishing post moves in the NBA. The thing I'll definitely give him props for is he's got a fairly decent polished post-game for a kid his age (assuming it is his age).

It's impressive what he's done for a Chinese big man at his age. Of course we're just talking about the CBA where most of the big men players seem to play wishy-washy defense. I would liek to see him up against a strong shotblocker to see if he can produce in those circumstances.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 12405Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
Momak wrote:
I would liek to see him up against a strong shotblocker to see if he can produce in those circumstances.
i'd like to see PRY be realistic and stop equating the CBA to the uber competitive NBA :!:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 4738Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
if you're wondering about Wang Zhelin's defense... you can watch him play against the best players his age of America. see the highlight i made, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5tnt9ALbs

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 59166Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Dr. No wrote:
Momak wrote:
I would liek to see him up against a strong shotblocker to see if he can produce in those circumstances.
i'd like to see PRY be realistic and stop equating the CBA to the uber competitive NBA :!:

WHEN was I equating CBA to NBA??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

ALL
that I'm saying is that Wang Zhelin, as many baskebtall experts/scouts are predicting, is of VAST POTENTIAL to make it to NBA in another 3 to 4 years time, as his game further grows and develops.

It's ONLY 4 games into the new season. But one could already see that Wang Zhelin is on his path to dominate centres (NBA journeymen, NBDL, Europe or Chinese locals) and produce 20/10s day-in day-out (20/10s in 3 games out of 4 so far) .

Mind you, seldom has a 18-year-old rookie that kind of performance for years since those 3 moving China Great Wall, NOT EVEN Yi Jianlian. :roll:

In their respective rookie years:

• Yao Ming (17 years old): 10 ppg/8.3 rpg
  • Wang Zhizh (18 years old): 14.9 ppg/6.8 rpg
  • Mengke Bateer (20 years old): 17.4 ppg/11.3 rpg
And back in those late 90s, there ain't that many NBA/NBDL/Europe interior players/big men competing in CBA.

When Yi Jianlian was a rookie in CBA in the 2002~3 season as a "15-year-old", he could only obtain 5 ppg/3.3 rpg; Yi only mastered 16.8 ppg/10.2 rpg in his 3rd CBA season (2004~05 season) as a "17-year-old" which in fact he was already 20 years old.
And now 4 games into the season, Wang Zhelin is ALREADY averaging a staggering 21.3 ppg and 11.8 rpg.

If he could continue on this trend, he will DEFINITELY become the MOST OFFENSIVE centre of China
as he further grows stronger/more powerful in his upper body, further refines his low post/passing skills, improves his defense, improves his free throws, develops a consistent jumper, and accumulates experience through the baptism of fire.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 am
User avatarPosts: 15490Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
I'm happy for Wang ZL. I haven't seen Pryuen so fired up for a player in a long time.

It makes the CBA more interesting.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 am
User avatarPosts: 59166Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Momak wrote:
The thing I'll definitely give him props for is he's got a fairly decent polished post-game for a kid his age (assuming it is his age).

There should not be problem with his age.

Like Yao Ming, Wang Zhelin's parent were basketball players representing Fujian province. His mother retired in 1993 after getting pregnant. There were news reports at that time about her pregnancy and retirement.

So Wang Zhelin's age should be GENUINE.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 am

There was another game worth reporting on Sunday night.

And that was the 113 ~ 87 win of Guangdong Dongguan Bank Hongyuan Tigers over the hapless Jiangsu Nangang Dragons.

Yi Jianlian was in his great form and continued to dominate; he scored 26 points (10/15 FG% 1/1 3-pointer% 5/5 FT%), 6 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 block shot.

The Guangdong team was so confident that they rested Ike Diogu (with slight injury) and only played Terrence Williams for 25 minutes; Terrence Williams missed all his 3-pointer attempts and only scored 10 points (5/14 FG% 0/5 3-pointer%).

Wang Shipeng seemed to be on his path back to normal; he scored 20 points (7/15 FG% 6/12 3-pointer%), 8 rebounds and 4 assists.

Gao Shang had his debut game of playing 5 minutes from the bench; and he did well to score 10 points (3/4 FG% 2/3 3-pointer% 2/4 FT%).

But the most gratifying performance came from Su Wei,
who had been the subject of Chinese basketball fans' constant harrassment ever since last season final with Beijing Jinyu Capital Steel Ducks and had Su Wei's game such impacted that he had to seek for help from a psychologist

http://www.niubball.com/2012/12/huan-su ... chologist/

Su Wei played almost 30 minutes to score 12 points (6/7 FG%), 2 rebounds and 2 assists.

On Jiangsu side, former Houston Rockets and Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks Mike Harris was their top scorer and rebounder; he had a double-double of 34 points (15/29 FG% 0/5 3-pointer% 4/4 FT%) and 15 rebounds.

Also former Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks, Garret Siler scored a double-double of 15 points (6/8 FG% 3/3 FT%), 14 rebounds, 2 assists and 6 block shots.

Former shanghai MAXXIS Sharks Peng Fei (11 points) and Yi Li (12 points) combined for 23 points.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 am

So it will be another STERN LITMUS TEST for Wang Zhelin when his team Fujian SBS Xunxin travel to Nanjing to square off with Jiangsu Nangang Dragons tomorrow night.

Let's see how Wang Zhelin fare against Garret Siler and Mike Harris, 2 former NBA calibre players that excel in scoring (Mike Harris), rebounding (both) and block shots (Garret Siler).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am
User avatarPosts: 12405Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
pryuen wrote:
Dr. No wrote:
Momak wrote:
WHEN was I equating CBA to NBA???
when you asserted that Bateer v.2 is not slow :!: :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 am
Dr. No wrote:

when you asserted that Bateer v.2 is not slow :!: :roll:

WHOEVER know basketball and had watched Wang Zhelin played (i.e. EXCEPT YOU) would disagree with you that Wang Zhelin is Mengke Bateer V.2. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Momak wrote:
I think the WZL to Bateer comparison isn't particularly accurate. WZL has much better forward movement and footwork than Bateer. Bateer was more about size and power while WZL clearly showed he can put the ball on the floor.

Offline Profile