<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  The Next Chinese Giant to Play in NCAA ~ Xu Tao !!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:24 am
User avatarPosts: 4893Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
hezudao wrote:
alrite cool, thx for the info. He most likely isnt superstar material but good to know china may have a player in ncaa soon, nevertheless.

he came to america for highschool. i guess he really really wanted to go to the prom.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:34 am
yaominginfohere wrote:
hezudao wrote:
alrite cool, thx for the info. He most likely isnt superstar material but good to know china may have a player in ncaa soon, nevertheless.

he came to america for highschool. i guess he really really wanted to go to the prom.

haha nice one.

that is a 30k per year Main Line (old money Philadelphia) school. he could well get into Harvard from the Haverford School playing basketball and that's no joke or exaggeration.

but this kid has been offered by John Thompson? there's definitely some interest I went over and checked out Georgetown recruiting. I don't think there's been an offer yet though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:

that is a 30k per year Main Line (old money Philadelphia) school. he could well get into Harvard from the Haverford School playing basketball and that's no joke or exaggeration.

but this kid has been offered by John Thompson? there's definitely some interest I went over and checked out Georgetown recruiting. I don't think there's been an offer yet though.

Well, it was reported that he recieved scholarship offer from Utah but he got injured in a final of the national youth summer league the eve before he was scheduled to leave China for Utah.

Because of the injury, Xu Tao stayed back in China for his recuperaion for 2 to 3 months; he did not enter Utah as original scheduled, but joined Haverford instead, and use Haverford as a preparation shcool/transition to university.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:06 pm
How does this Xu Tao compare with Yi Jianlian or Wang zhizhi?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
superjohn wrote:
How does this Xu Tao compare with Yi Jianlian or Wang zhizhi?

You don't make that kind of comparison of Xu Tao with Wang Zhizhi or Yi Jianlian, players that you won't easily find in decades.

Xu Tao is NOT EVEN BETTER than Wang Zhelin. If Xu Tao was as good or talented as either Wang Zhizhi or Yi Jianlian, the Shandong Provincial Sports Bureau or the Shandong Kingston team would not have let him leave for USA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm
Is this Xu Tao joining the NCAA?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00 pm
yes. Xu has an offer from Drexel and interest from Georgetown, Temple, Virginia, Utah and St. Joseph

he reclassified in Jan. so he will go in 2013 not 2012.

there was an American article back last year that claimed he had received offers from Georgetown and Utah but as far as I know that is false. he definitely has an offer from Drexel

so there's no question that he will be in the NCAA starting in 2013-2014. the only issue is how much he will develop. he likely will end up in a mid major, which is not bad today like 10 years ago. he could end up in the Big East or maybe an Ivy school. He has to improve to go to a school like Georgetown or even harvard.

he wasn't really a good player. he plays on a good team but is like 4th in scoring on that team. he has a long way to go.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm
Posts: 526Location: Beacon NYJoined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 am
Xu is listed as born in 1993, which is old for a high school player. However, it is more likely he was born in 1991, which is ineligible for a high school player. Xu was an early developer. He was listed at 209 cm when he was supposedly 13 years old, though more likely 15. He has grown 1 cm since.

So Xu is not really a very good prospect. He was good earlier because he grew so big so fast, as well as the likely age adjustment. He used to be the starting center on the U-17 team before Wang Zhelin took over. But Xu never did very much when he played internationally.

Xu is probably like Cai Chen -- overrated and may have trouble making it in the CBA, let alone the NBA. Mid-major, like Drexel, sounds about right for him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:34 pm

So Xu Tao will be joining University of San Francisco in the new season on grant-in-aid.

His coach will be Rex Walters, a Japanese-American who played NBA back in 1993 to 2000 for New Jersey Nets, Philadelphia 76ers and Miami Heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Walters

So is University of San Francisco a strong division I team???

[quote]

http://www.usfdons.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 06050ia521

June 5, 2012

San Francisco Basketball
Announces Signing of Tao Xu

Chinese National Center Commits
to Dons for 2012-13 Season

[size=109] [b](San Francisco)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:59 am

The NCAA season had commenced.

In the debut game of the new season, playing away at Stanford, University of San Francisco lost 74 ~ 62.

Playing from the bench, Xu Tao scored 7 points (3/4 FG%), 4 rebounds and 4 fouls in 14 minutes of action.

NOT BAD for the rookie. AT LEAST BETTER than Max Zhang Zhaoxu in his rookie season at UC Berkeley.

Offline Profile