Author Message

<  Yi Jianlian and other Asian NBA players  ~  Could He Be The Next Chinese Player To Watch In NCAA???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

According to a LA World Journal article, there was this kid Guo Runze 郭润泽 from Harbin. He is 12, and is already 2.05M (6ft 9) tall, He is projected to be able to grow to 2.21M (7ft 3).

http://sports.163.com/10/0324/09/62HFMOKL00051CA1.html


His 1.95M father used to be a basketball player; his 1.76M mother used to be a volleyball player.

So starting at the age 8, he spent 2/3 of his time in a sports academy to be trained in basketball fundamentals, and the other 1/3 of his time playing basketball with his father.

He was sent to USA last year at the tender age of 11, enrolled into San Gabriel Academy, and now under the mentorship of Richard Marquis, a veteran professional basketball coach, who used to be head coach at Xiamen University in China, now owns and runs his Play Smarter Basketball Classes in Temple City and Pasadena; Max Zhang used to go to his clinics in Temple City when Max went to USA in 2006.

Guo Runze had been in San Gabriel Academy for a year now. Other than playing for his school team, Richard Marquis also arranged him to play in Northern California Nisei Athletic Union Basketball League (aka NAU or J League), the oldest and largest Japanese-American basketball league in California with grown-ups to gain experience.

Guo Runze used to be trained as a point guard when he was about 6ft 3; so he has pretty good ball handling skill and solid fundamental. He now spends alot of time working on his body, power, strength and footworks.


Do you think he will be the NEXT Chinese player after Jeremy Lin and Max Zhang to be playing in NCAA?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:24 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Here is a picture of Guo Runze with his mentor, Richard Marquis.

Image


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:36 am
User avatarPosts: 12457Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
pryuen wrote:
Do you think he will be the NEXT Chinese player after Jeremy Lin and Max Zhang to be playing in NCAA?[/size]
there will other Chinese ballers who'll play in the NCAA before this kid, assuming that he will.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Dr. No wrote:
there will other Chinese ballers who'll play in the NCAA before this kid, assuming that he will.


When I say "watch", I mean someone to follow/watch out for..... like Jeremy Lin.

If he really grows to what his bone scan predicted, and with all these years of nurturing with an experienced coach, then maybe he will achieve MUCH MORE than Max Zhang did in UC Berkeley.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 1683Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:03 pm
What ever happened to that little fat kid, he was scouted by UCLA. Haven't heard anything about him.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 pm
Posts: 526Location: Beacon NYJoined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:33 am
pryuen wrote:

According to a LA World Journal article, there was this kid Guo Runze 郭润泽 from Harbin. He is 12, and is already 2.05M (6ft 9) tall, He is projected to be able to grow to 2.21M (7ft 3).

http://sports.163.com/10/0324/09/62HFMOKL00051CA1.html


His 1.95M father used to be a basketball player; his 1.76M mother used to be a volleyball player.

So starting at the age 8, he spent 2/3 of his time in a sports academy to be trained in basketball fundamentals, and the other 1/3 of his time playing basketball with his father.

He was sent to USA last year at the tender age of 11, enrolled into San Gabriel Academy, and now under the mentorship of Richard Marquis, a veteran professional basketball coach, who used to be head coach at Xiamen University in China, now owns and runs his Play Smarter Basketball Classes in Temple City and Pasadena; Max Zhang used to go to his clinics in Temple City when Max went to USA in 2006.

Guo Runze had been in San Gabriel Academy for a year now. Other than playing for his school team, Richard Marquis also arranged him to play in Northern California Nisei Athletic Union Basketball League (aka NAU or J League), the oldest and largest Japanese-American basketball league in California with grown-ups to gain experience.

Guo Runze used to be trained as a point guard when he was about 6ft 3; so he has pretty good ball handling skill and solid fundamental. He now spends alot of time working on his body, power, strength and footworks.


Do you think he will be the NEXT Chinese player after Jeremy Lin and Max Zhang to be playing in NCAA?


The prognosis for 12-year-old oversize players rarely are accurate. There was a 6-11 12-year-old in China about 10 years ago and nothing further was heard of him. We haven't heard much about Tian Yuchen recently. He was 205 cm at age 13 and is still 205 cm. He hasn't played at all for Shanghai this season.

So I would be wary of projecting Guo to play in the NCAA. Maybe he will be the rare example who does succeed but the odds are that he won't be.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 pm
Posts: 8245Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
is he wearing lipstick or just a bad pic? :lol:


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 3042Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
ArcticMonkey2 wrote:
What ever happened to that little fat kid, he was scouted by UCLA. Haven't heard anything about him.



His still in high school averaging 22ppg and 13rpp, some of his photos can be seen here
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/s6o4Fl ... en-cai.htm


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:11 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
avolbert wrote:

The prognosis for 12-year-old oversize players rarely are accurate. There was a 6-11 12-year-old in China about 10 years ago and nothing further was heard of him.


I'm not sure whether you're referring to this guy, Zhang Huan 张欢, from Shandong who is 24 years old now.

He is claimed to be the tallest living man, if not in the world but at least in Asia, standing at 2.38M (7ft 9.7), 12 cm (4.7 inches) taller than Yao Ming, and 2 cm taller than the other guy who got into the Guinness World Record, Bao Xishun.

It was said that he joined Shandong military basketball team at the age of 12, and then also the Nanjing military team, Jiangsu Nangang Dragon junior team. Mu Tiezhu used to be his basketball coach, and he once trained together with Yao Ming at Shanghai Sharks for 1 week, when Yao Ming was still in CBA.

He never played to his potential; had a serious injury on his waist and had to quit basketball at the age of 19, 5 years ago.

He now works as an image spokesperson/ambassador for bridal salons of Taiwan in China.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 am
User avatarPosts: 4544Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
how do you know he's only 12 years old, they probably lied about his age. Looks much older than 12, and being fat and overweight will stunt his growth. Going to the usa isn't going to do him any good. Look at Xu Yong, and Max Zhang is like a 7'3" william hung he's not even a real basketball player.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 1 of 5
48 posts
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum