<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming's Vote of Confidence in TMAC and Veto Garnett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Intersting article from yesterday's sina.com.

What do you guys think??

:arrow: Yao Ming's veto of the idea of Kevin Garnett for TMAC.

:arrow: Yao Ming as the Go-To-Guy in offense instead of TMAC

[quote]

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2006-03-27/ ... 7015.shtml

[size=109]Special Correspondent: Luo Ke reports from Houston.

(It was) 11 months ago. At American Airlines Centre in Dallas. 2nd game in playoff. 2 seconds before the final buzzer. Yao Ming pulled out from the interior, set a screen to block Jerry Stackhouse. Tracy McGrady took advantage of the opportunity, took a step, elevated and steadily released his shot that hit nothing but the net. 113 ~ 111. Houston Rockets 2. Dallas Mavericks 0.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:43 am
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
of course yao has no choice but support tmac becoz tmac is his teammate RIGHT NOW.

the reason he veto such idea is not legit. if rox trades tmac for kg, it means j.ho and/or ss must go.

btw, one of the reasons i don't like chinese bball reports is many of their styles are more like essay or fiction, rather than professional bball reports.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:10 am
Posts: 1565Location: San Diego & HangzhouJoined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:15 am
seiya wrote:
of course yao has no choice but support tmac becoz tmac is his teammate RIGHT NOW.

the reason he veto such idea is not legit. if rox trades tmac for kg, it means j.ho and/or ss must go.

btw, one of the reasons i don't like chinese bball reports is many of their styles are more like essay or fiction, rather than professional bball reports.

so true.. and most of the time it's about the writer making something out of nothing. taking things out of context and using it to form and support their biased and almost childish oppinions. they write very much like steve kerr

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 am
User avatarPosts: 1127Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:48 pm
pryuen wrote:
[size=14]Intersting article from yesterday's sina.com.

What do you guys think??

]

What is there to think about? And I dont think anyone needs to read such articles, much less to translate it (:D :D :D). What is Yao Ming gonna say: I hate tmac, trade him? I'll bet Ming said "No" to Tmac back when stevie was still his teammate. Ming is a nice guy, and we all know that.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:53 am
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
nomad_balla wrote:
seiya wrote:

so true.. and most of the time it's about the writer making something out of nothing. taking things out of context and using it to form and support their biased and almost childish oppinions. they write very much like steve kerr

i was not picking on pryuen. he's done a wonderful job of translating and most of the chinese reports he picked were worth of reading. in fact, those were the only chinese bball reports i've been reading recently. :)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 am
Yao never mentions how T-Mac is a huge injury risk while Garnett is not.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:49 pm
Posts: 4695Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
Iconoclastic wrote:
Yao never mentions how T-Mac is a huge injury risk while Garnett is not.

Would you consider Kobe Bryant a "huge injury risk"? Because asides from this season, Kobe has missed more games per season than T-Mac has over their careers...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:21 pm
Posts: 299Location: mineapolisJoined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:56 am
A healthy T-mac is the leader of the rockets period... even though i love yao more i think T-mac makes everyone else play with more confidence. But that's if T-mac is healthy.

Yao is not the leader of the rockets but he is the best player on this team!!!!!!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
I did not pick this obviously quite controversial article just for the sake of stirring flame pitching Yao vs TMAC.

I've just found it with alot of interesting points worthy of discussion.
That's why I spent more than an hour for its full translation. If my long translation gives the TMAC supporters some discomfortness, I offer my apology.

IMHO

1. Yao Ming was right on his viewpoint that trading TMAC away for KG is not to the best interests of the Rockets due to the overlap in positions.
  2. This writer had a point about the never-say-give-up-and-quit attitude of Yao Ming, and his loyalty to his team and commitment to become a better player, which slowly but surely turn him into the current dominant player he is, and naturally transform him to becoming the Lao Da/Leader of this team.
  3. The writer also has a point of using Yao Ming as the focus of offense; and when I chose to translate it with the term Go-To-Guy, I really mean that every offense needs to go thru with the rock passed to the hand of Yao Ming. Opposing team will double-team and triple-team him. He will either attack the rim if he can find good position and finds space and room in the low post to over-power his opponents, score or draw fouls for free throws, or he can pass the ball out to the perimeter for his team mates to score from open-look mid-range jumpers or 3-pointers. That is the genuine inside-out strategy implementation.
  4. And being the Go-To-Guy does not mean Yao Ming necessarily be the guy that handle those cllutch game-winning shot, the way TMAC (or players like Kobe) is doing all their career, because they can create their own shots, dribble and penetrate, and hit those beat-the-buzzer 3-pointers. TMAC should still be the first option for handling those cllutch shots at the end.
  5. I also think the writer has a point in suggesting the Rockets should emulate what LA Lakers did during their championship era.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 10633Location: PhillyJoined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:03 am
Of course Yao is going to say that, he is too loyal to his current teammates.

Offline Profile