<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  YAO IS PLAYING TOO SOFT!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:55 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
pryuen wrote:
Chuck__187 wrote:
I want the MIng man to PLAY like a CHAMPION THEN get his all-star start. Not the other way around.

COOL OFF DUDE !!! :oops:

If he plays like a champion, he will then be MVP.

All Stars game is MORE on popularity and NOT necessarily about performance. Or else players like Vince Carter or Steve Francis or a lot others will not be All Stars in the past.

Well let me tell ya Yao will NOT BE VERY POPULAR when its obvious his playin performance SERIOUSLY LAGS his all-star votes and offcourt endorsements.

Seriously, most non-asians arent big fans of Yao anymore. THat is the truth. His not performing.
By the 2nd half of last season Yao was really getting respect he was really improving. But since the Olympics and offseason activities Yao has gone backwards.
Its really the Anna Kournikova syndome. Where a player is given massive off court appeal and $$$ and popularity based on marketability INSTEAD of DEMOSTRATED TALENT.
It basically screws up their sporting careers.

Well its happening to Yao. Even worse, his got the chinese government and even his parents and colin pine and whole other bunch of hangers who are screwing up his sports development.

Let me put it simply.
His acting like a little boy still and his GOT TO GROW UP!!!

I don't think Yao understands that the NBA is a selfish league. The quicker he understands that the better he is.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:34 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
pryuen wrote:
chinese_fob wrote:
Count Pryuen as one of those morons who mindlessly vote for him. Yao can do no wrong in his eyes. 2 NBA all-star apperances he saids...Now make it 3 and Yao is great. No excuses. Yao's just wonderful. Don't like to attack Pryuen but he is such a Yao sycophant.

You don't have to resort to personal attacking me, and called me moron. :twisted: Sorry to advise you that he does not need my vote to be leading Shaquille O'Neal by 70,000 votes and the rest of the NBA stars with exactly 1 week to go for the All Stars voting. I don't even bother to vote.

I have to be blunt. Yao is definitely getting most of his votes from little chinese kids who dont know squat about ball. Heck, I know some of these kids and I shake heads in disgust when they tell me their voting Yao cos his "cool".

Seriously, this is not the WWF. Players should go to the all star with credibility in their performance. Not cos a bunch of stupid little (and old) kids got to much net time.

I voted for Brad Miller btw, just doing my bit to prevent Yao from going to the all-star game. But alas, for the 3rd straight year i've failed... :cry:

These kids kids got no idea of the politics and creditibility in the nba. Yao's creditablity is only gonna drop when he is continually being pushed commerically and hype-wise while his actual on-court performances are so far lagging behind.

Yao's stat this season: PPG 18.3 BPG 1.75 RPG 8.4
Miller stat this season: PPG 14.3 BPG 1.17 RPG 8.9

The numbers don't lie. I think it is you who don't know squat about bball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:34 pm
Vince Carter, Steve Frnacis and other past All star are not MVP caliber palyer true but they have stats to back up their worthiness to be all star. In Yao's case, for him to even lead in vote getting for all stars should warrant a responsibility on his part to produce and not play at mediocre level. All star is about being spectacular, so far this year, Yao is nothing more than a sweeper who disappears in crunch time. I still have lots of respect and support for Yao, however, I expect much more of him and I beleieve most fans have reasonbale expectataions of him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:42 pm
whs wrote:
Vince Carter, Steve Frnacis and other past All star are not MVP caliber palyer true but they have stats to back up their worthiness to be all star. In Yao's case, for him to even lead in vote getting for all stars should warrant a responsibility on his part to produce and not play at mediocre level. All star is about being spectacular, so far this year, Yao is nothing more than a sweeper who disappears in crunch time. I still have lots of respect and support for Yao, however, I expect much more of him and I beleieve most fans have reasonbale expectataions of him.

No they don't. Franchise was an all-star last year averaging 16 pts. VC was in the all star game a year ago when he missed 75% of the season! They got voted in because of "habit"; people voted for them in the years past were voting for them again, same with Yao this year. I think EVEN GRANT HILL was voted to an all-star game when he was INJURED.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:01 pm
True but don't forget they are entertaining to watch with specatcular dunks and cross overs. Yao does not have that and as mentioned so many times in this forum, the reason why he got so many votes may be due to the fact that there are many Asian esp CHinese fans voting for him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:18 pm
Posts: 1364Location: CanadaJoined: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:51 pm
whs wrote:

well said... but i have to disagre with youi on your last sentence, most of his hard core asians fans especil;l on here are lving in fantasy land

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:25 pm
Not really, I expect big Z to be an allstar center just like Yao, not because he is great but mainly due to the lack of great centers these days not named O'neal. I think Z will be in the all star game as a reserve C avging 16/8; he was a reserve last year. If Z is considered to be an all star, then so should Yao. True dat people expect way too much of him (like expecting him to be dominant).

When you are 7'6", it USUALLY spell two things:
1) Injury
2) Stiff

Yao is already really good to not succumb to the above two points. There is nothing wrong in being a star center, instead of a great center. I expect Yao to be a star center in the NBA.

Last edited by kenlau on Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:27 pm
Outside opinion.

Looks like Houston's roster revamping will deemphasize Yao's role on offense a bit. Which probably isn't the worst idea for a guy who's still only fit enough to play 31 mpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerrank ... 05&week=11

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:07 pm
Quote:

Your wrong, the great players are the one's who make it to the playoffs and actually do something great.

In about 20 years people will not be talking about Vince Carter, or Steve. They will be talking about Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, KG, the .03 second shot, the robert horry shot. Moments like this defines greatness.

Just having great stats is not enough, its nice to have stats, but greatness is defined on what you do in the playoffs.

Yao still has a long way to go.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:00 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
whs wrote:
True but don't forget they are entertaining to watch with specatcular dunks and cross overs. Yao does not have that and as mentioned so many times in this forum, the reason why he got so many votes may be due to the fact that there are many Asian esp CHinese fans voting for him.

People still had that misconception and kept saying the reason WHY Yao Ming leads in All Stars voting was because he got a lot of Internet voting from China. :roll:

But actually starting last year, All Stars voting in China was being co-ordinated by Red Bull (a sports drink company), a strategic alliance/partner of NBA in China. Votings have to be via registration into www.redbullhoops.cn, and not directly into nba.com or china.nba.com.

http://www.nanfangdaily.com.cn/southnew ... 130567.asp

And according to the above article, the voting of Yao Ming from China for this year's 2005 All Stars is 47,766 upto December 31, 2004, which surpassed the votings of the same period in 2003 for the 2004 All Stars, and the total votings for Yao Ming in the 2004 All Stars from China was slightly above 50,000 votes.

So MOST of the votings are NOT from China but elsewhere.....paper vote (from USA and Canada) and Internet votings from all over the world. So people should stop to say Yao Ming won the All Stars based on Internet votings from China. :roll:

Offline Profile