<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  YAO IS PLAYING TOO SOFT!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
bblock12000 wrote:
how many sub-par games this year as compared to last ?

How do you define sub-par first ?? Anything lower than 10 points scored ?? 15 points scored ?? 20 points scored ??

As maverickasian correctly pointed out, a lot of the times, a lot of the stuffs are invisible on the stats. The standard of officiating, the back-to-back situation, the physical and mental state of mind, the nano split of second decision, the amount of intimidation or other factors etc. could have crept into affecting a players' game.

So do you mean to say anything in the following 87 games of his sophomore season
that was below 10 points scored were poor and sub-par performance, and not contributory to his team winning ?? :roll:

http://www.yaomingmania.com/schedule2004.html

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:28 pm
wangzzsux wrote:
So Yao is soft. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. But can anyone explain to me how a 'soft' player like Yao can bulldoze his way through so many players make them flop to the ground like ninepins and pick up all those offensive fouls?

Exactly, he was called 3 offense fouls in that game. In the fortht qauter he went to basket aggressively and dunk the ball but collins floped and referee called offense foul on Yao and it was his fifth foul!!! How can you play aggressively if referee keep calling offense fouls on you.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:23 am
User avatarPosts: 408Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:17 pm
bblock12000 wrote:
pry, i don't think you understand what inexcusable means. after saying that Yao's performance is inexcusable, you continued to make lame excuses for Yao. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops

OMG someone else noticed that. Good job.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:56 am
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
Pry and some others will never stop making lame excuses for Yao, even if Yao doesn't make them for himself.
Flu or no flu, brace or no brace, the fact is professional athletes play with these conditions and injuries ALL the time.
Once you are on the court, and especially if you are a franchise player, you are expected to come out and give your best and be mentally tough. As others, such as Bblock, have observed the Rockets as a team, and especially Yao, often come out slow and in a daydream for much of the 1H this season. That demonstrates lack of mental toughness, and is commiting suicide against good teams trying to play catch up bball.
Also, when Yao is tough and attacking from the start of games, he establishes a tone for the refs to give him more calls, and gives him and his teammates more confidence to get him the ball. But his soft starts and Houdini disappearing acts work against him in the 4Q when we are trying to play catch up bball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
yao's definitely not soft, i hate it when those commentators say yao is soft and doesn't like contact, who likes contact?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:00 pm
notice how well he played under rudy t. and how much potential he showed then. now look at his game, no creativity at all. gee who can we blame ? (JVG)

JY

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:32 pm
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:
yao's definitely not soft, i hate it when those commentators say yao is soft and doesn't like contact, who likes contact?

True, nobody likes contact. But Yao is "soft" if he can not adapt to physical play and preform properly under physcial pressure. That's the NBA game. It's like everybody wants to be rich but you have to work hard. If you don't work hard, then you are what you are. Depends on your viewpoint, the "soft" moniker is reasonable.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:52 pm
I am expecting a lot more from Yao in his third year. As much as I like to say he has improved his game, there are times when you notice that Yao is frustrating to watch. I mean this is after all his third year. The guy has got to be more dominant, play his height and size to advantage, be vocal against his coach and refs, take charge for goodness sake!!! The guy has the ingredients to be great but his mindset is still to play second fiddle. Sorry man, Yao please grow up buddy!!!! A lot rests on your shoulder, don't let us down man!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:05 pm
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
Yao also didn't set picks that well in that game...

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:33 pm
pryuen wrote:
His performance in this OT win over the New Jersey Nets is inexcusable.

IMHO, it was a mix of everything.

:arrow: He is still recovering from his flu, and had lost 12 lbs. That affected him in his ability to fend off physical centres/power forwards.

:arrow: He just took off his 1KG brace supporter from his left arm, and is readjusting his shooting touches.

:arrow: The Nets were playing physical and fierce with a lot of pushing, poking and shovelling in his back that was not called.

:arrow: A couple of the calls on Yao Ming in the 1H was pure BS. And I don't know if you guys knew one of the referees in this game was Matt Boland, who had had personal grudges with Yao Ming.

I'm not trying to put up excuses for the guy, but if his fans are so impatient and fair-weathered, and started to d@ss and bash him for a rare sub-par performance, then just think about the tremendous pressure on him. He had had hard time already as so vividly revealed in his post match interview. :roll:

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... ht=#148074

pryuen wrote:
By the way they played, it really did not make BIG difference whether they are at home or on the road. :cry:

Always thought there is home court advantage.
But just read it on the sina.com, after the humiliating loss by the Mavericks, Yao Ming was soooooooo p@ssed about the treatment he got from this referee, Matt Boland, who he got into some grudges earlier in the 2002 World Championship in Indianapolis. Matt Boland was officiating for the match between China and New Zealand. In a couple instances, Boland called travelling on Yao Ming, and Yao Ming was so p@ssed that he walked up to Boland, and asked him in English: Do you know what is travelling ??

In that match, New Zealand came from behind to beat China who once led by some 23 points.

Yao Ming complaint that in the Mavericks game, every time he was attacking Mavericks' basket, Dampier was shoveling him on his neck and pushing him in the back, but there were no calls. But when Dampier was attacking the basket, Yao Ming was often given the call instead.

So playing the game at Toyota Centre does not mean 100% home advantage these days for Yao Ming. :evil:

Pryuen, your excuses for Yao would be derided by JVG, Rox teamamtes, and all of the NBA if Yao had said them. So no more excuses for Yao.

Offline Profile