<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Avatar sizes need to conform to 80x80 (or smaller), please

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Site AdminPosts: 467Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:32 am
Hi everyone,

Even though I like alot of the avatars being used on the forum, there are some being used that are too big and take up too much space. This makes it inconvenient since forum users have to scroll more than they should. I have let it go for a long time, but I think I need to enforce it much better.

This forum system is supposed to restrict avatars to 80x80 pixels (or smaller), but it never has really worked in enforcing the restriction. So I thought I would let everyone know that they should try to conform their avatar sizes to 80x80, or we'll have to kindly ask that you change it. I'll give everyone a week to make their change to a smaller avatar size.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I think we should do this to be fair to everyone who uses the forum.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by John on Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:20 am
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
Rox power dance girl, it's your fault!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:32 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
OOLONG48 wrote:
Rox power dance girl, it's your fault!

YUP..... I have a 100 X 150 avatar, and I have either to drop it or select another good one to comply with John's request.

I'm starting to dislike/hate Alawan Payne for forcing me to change my avatar of Yao Ming + Ye Li !!!
:shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:18 am
:( The power dance one was okay in size. It was the big game poster of Yao avatar which caused this

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:30 am
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
pryuen wrote:
[i]I have a 100 X 150 avatar, and I have either to drop it or select another good one to comply with John's request.

A 80x80 avatar is pretty small. Can you change the rule, John? Maybe 100x150? So that pryuen and I don't have to drop our avatars! :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:34 am
User avatarPosts: 3021Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am
i think 80x80 is a bit too small, can we make the maximum something like 200x200?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 7214Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
I think as long as they don't make you have to scroll sideways on the page it would be ok, but it isn't my site.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:40 am
User avatarPosts: 507Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:04 pm
How about no more freaking COLORED BOLD text and meanless emotion icons!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:07 pm
Site AdminPosts: 467Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:32 am
Let's still go with 80x80 avatars or smaller. The site looks so much better when everyone's avatar is about the same size, and it reduces the amount of scrolling everyone has to do.

Here's how to resize it with any Windows operating system. This assumes you have a server where you can upload your avatar:

- Open "Paint," a program under Accessories when you click on "Programs" on your start button.

- Open your image from your hard drive.

- Click on the Image menu bar item and select "stretch/skew."

- Enter values in the "horizontal" and "vertical" boxes to where it will reduce your avatar to 80x80 or smaller. You may have to do a little math to figure out what values you will need to get to 80x80. Typically you would enter the same values in these boxes so it won't throw the image out of whack.

- Save the image to your hard drive.

- Upload your image to your server. Keep the same file name so you don't have to re-do your avatar's URL reference.

Thanks for your cooperation. I will check on Tuesday (the one week mark of my original post) to see how things are going with everyone's avatar reduction efforts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:29 am
User avatarPosts: 6559Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
hi, john, 80*80 is pretty small. how about start a vote thread to hear everyone's voice? i don't think many ppl feel big avatar's a big problem...there ain't many replies to this thread either.....

but at the same time, this is your forum & you have the final say...

Offline Profile WWW