<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  What Yao said in his official website about his game

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 59171Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
bag1403 wrote:
:shock: Wow, I'm starting to like you. :D

YUP.... Big_Yaofan started to talk sense and began to live up to his nick....BIG YAO FAN !!!! That's what fans are for, to be supporting your idol/hero through thicks and thins and ups and downs !!! :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:06 am
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 64/1/.html

Yao weighs 318 lbs now! :shock:

"We have him on a maintenance schedule during the season, and he lifts weights two or three times a week. He's at about 318 now and he's very strong." - Falsone

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:15 am
User avatarPosts: 59171Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Well, Yao Ming returned to Houston from the away games. He posted 3 times onto his yaoming.net chatroom today.

One of them is a New Year Greetings to ALL his fans :-

Yao Ming on his yaoming.net chatroom at 21:49pm Dec 30, 2003 wrote:

Just want to wish EVERYBODY a fresh start in the New Year 新年新气象; may all your wishes come true万事如意; may you stay healthy 身体健康; and may your family be happy and joyous 合家欢乐. Please forgive me for not coming here these few days as I was not in good mood after those losses. Well it's not that I have thought it through now, but I just don't want to be so bored and dull, and since it is new year time, I decided to come to see you guys. I have to sleep and rest now as there will be competition tomorrow.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:49 am
A poster wrote in the chatroom about his observation that upon a turnover or his team mates failing to make a shot, Yao Ming would run strenuously back court, with his head bent low, and a painful expression on his face. The fan asked Yao Ming whether he can change it as he thought it did not look nice of Yao Ming as it brought an air of dispirited feeling on him.

Yao Ming's response was :

Yao Ming on Yaoming.net chatroom at 21:40pm Dec 30, 2003 wrote:

Yes, there is this kind of phenomenon, but I think it's subconscious; I just wanted to run back faster. It's not that I was depressed or disheartened.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:10 am
Do you guys know why Yao runs with his head low? This is just common sense. He is so tall, so that if he bends his head lower, that will lower his center of gravity and also reduce wind drag. The result is a quicker acceleration down the court. He just feels like more efficient to do it without even knowing the scientific reasons behind it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:08 am
Posts: 1110Location: new york cityJoined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:53 am
superjohn wrote:
if he bends his head lower, that will lower his center of gravity and also reduce wind drag. The result is a quicker acceleration down the court. He just feels like more efficient to do it without even knowing the scientific reasons behind it.

hi sj,

hmm...i'm not sure if i get your pt. how does lowering one's center of gravity reduces wind drag?

i thought wind drag is a function of geometry, velocity and viscosity amongst other things. wind drag only becomes important at hi-speeds(velocity). what do you think?

cheers,
mike.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:28 am
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
superjohn wrote:
This is just common sense. He is so tall, so that if he bends his head lower, that will "lower his center of gravity" and also "reduce wind drag." The result is a quicker acceleration down the court. He just feels like more efficient to do it without even knowing the scientific reasons behind it.

here are my 2 cents:

there isn't much wind drag in an indoor stadium, with 13 sweaty men running up and down a 90 ft x 40 ft wooden court.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:27 pm
bblock12000 wrote:
superjohn wrote:
This is just common sense. He is so tall, so that if he bends his head lower, that will "lower his center of gravity" and also "reduce wind drag." The result is a quicker acceleration down the court. He just feels like more efficient to do it without even knowing the scientific reasons behind it.

here are my 2 cents:

there isn't much wind drag in an indoor stadium, with 13 sweaty men running up and down a 90 ft x 40 ft wooden court.

LMAO :mrgreen:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:18 pm
Posts: 1110Location: new york cityJoined: Tue Feb 11, 2003 12:53 am
bblock12000 wrote:
superjohn wrote:

here are my 2 cents:

i think sj meant the relative wind drag. that is relative speed with respect to air. :lol: :lol: :lol:

best,
mike.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:32 pm
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
mikej230 wrote:
...i think sj meant the relative wind drag. that is relative speed with respect to air. :lol: :lol: :lol:
did i say something off-base, so much so that it's funny? suffice to say that i m not the scientific / physicist type; my forte is more related to finance / economic / investments.

i can articulate a substantive discussion on econ / tax policies, stocks & options and investments, and the like; not so for the intricacies of scientific phoenomena

anyway, happy new year

Offline Profile