<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming: I'm Proud to Have Survived in NBA and Shaq !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Sabonis was described as a shooting center with the vision of a point guard or a point guard in a 7 foot body.

it's dumbfounding, even for druno to stick to saying that Sabonis and Shaq were similar players.

it's like saying Yao and Dwight Howards are similar players. or that Steve Francis and Steve Nash are similar players. Or to use a player Sabonis was compared to saying that Larry Bird and Lebron James are similar players.

almost unfathomable ignorance, pride and obstinance

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 12415Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
Momak wrote:
Even during Sabonis's years in the NBA you could tell that his points, his game was clearly different.
you're overstating the obvious.

when Sabo joined the NBA, he was already going downhill, not even a shadow of himself.

Momak wrote:
And yes, his passing was legendary, probably one of the best passing centres of all time.
that is just rhetorics. back it up with specifics. i'd say Bill Walton is a better passer.

Quote:
From a centre perspective, they aren't that similar. That's not to say Sabonis didnt have strength nor did he shy away from contact and using his size advantage in the post either.
don't Canadians spell 'center' ?

I repeat Sabo leveraged his physical strength to get great passing angle / scoring & rebounding postion. the core of his game is power.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

And if Dr. No. had NO FVCKING IDEA of the playing style of Sabonis, AT LEAST try to do sufficient research INSTEADS OF being embarrassed and owned here by posting his GARBAGE of Sabonis is the SAME TYPE of player as Shaquille O'Neal !!!

Here are some famous/well-documented quotes of Sabonis' peers and contemporaries:

Bill Walton on Sabonis playing style wrote:

He's a 7' 3" Larry Bird.

Mike Dunleavy, Sabonis' head coach at Portland TrailBlazers wrote:

People who saw him play at a young age put (Sabonis) in the top five centers of all-time, when you watch him now and think about it, you can see it, he's got the 3-point shot, the sky hook, and he can beat people off the dribble. I wish I could have played with him when he was younger and even now. He has such a great feel for the game, and a lot of the guys could benefit more from his abilities if they had a little better feel. He can read plays before they happen. He's like Bird, Magic, and Jordan in that sense. They see it a couple of plays ahead."

Dino Radja, former Boston Celtic wrote:

"That guy, without his injuries, would have been better than David Robinson. Believe me, he was that good. Know him long time. In 1985, he was a beast. He ran the floor like Ralph Sampson, could shoot the three, dunk. He would have been an NBA all-star 10 years in a row. It's true, I tell you."

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Miami Heat wrote:

"He was my idol and he still is. He was the greatest basketball player in the world, and I just tried to copy all of his moves. I couldn't though, because he had too many."

Vlade Divac, former Sacramento Kings back in 1995 wrote:

"He's now 30 years old, but I remember him when I played against him when he was 21 or 22, he was the best center I ever saw in my life. I can say easy he was a better player than Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem. . . . I'm telling you, he was the best center I ever saw in my life. He was passing the ball, dribbling, shooting three-pointers, jumping. He did everything. Now he's lost his speed because of injury, but still he's a smart player. He knows basketball."

If Sabonis was the SAME TYPE of physical player as Shaquille O'Neal, WHY Bill Walton or Mike Dunleavy compared Sabonis to other players like Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, but not some other centres???

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:45 pm
old fart, why are you so stupid ?

you don't know who Sabo is nor have seen him play.

why are you even arguing.

you're just parroting you other are saying.

just like you're parroting others' lies about InO, plateaued Sun.

quit parroting, think for a change.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Dr. No wrote:
I repeat Sabo leveraged his physical strength to get great passing angle / scoring & rebounding postion. the core of his game is power.

ROFLMAO !!!! :P :P :P

Another quote of the day from our Dr. No.

Quote of the Day from Dr. No. 7.26.2011 wrote:

The core of Sabonis's game is power !!!

WHY YOU'RE SO FVCKING STUPID, WINSTON ???? :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:20 pm
temuchin wrote:
Sabonis was described as a shooting center with the vision of a point guard or a point guard in a 7 foot body.

it's dumbfounding, even for druno to stick to saying that Sabonis and Shaq were similar players.

almost unfathomable ignorance, pride and obstinance

EXACTLY !!!!

To say Sabonis' core game is power and that he is the same type of player as Shaquille O'Neal is CLOSE TO BLASPHEMY to Sabonis.

If there is such a position called point centre in basketball, then Sabonis was a point centre.

From the film footage/highlight reels I saw of his play in Europe/NBA/1988 Olympics, he could just stand outside the three point line and sink 3-pointers, or he could easily find the open man. His court vision was second to none, not to mention that he had an impressive array of skills/tricks, the most effective being his over-the-shoulder or behind-the-back passes to cutting men.

I still remembered a play I saw in one of these videos where he would grab a defensive board and make the outlet pass in one swift movement in the air, before his feet touched the floor.

His shooting touches were such silky; his hook shots were simply deadly; his passes/assists were such crispy, and you just wouldn't expect a giant like him to be so well coordinated, dribbling behind his back and between his legs with so much agility. He didn't have superior athleticism and lost his speed after the repeated injuries/surgeries when he arrived into NBA as a 31-year-old, but his positioning and knowledge of the game still enabled him to compete/contest with those strong centres of his era.

And YEAH all that packed into a 7-3 300lbs monster.

There is a REASON WHY BACK
in the late 80s/early 90s, alot of countries were trying to mould their big men as the next Arvydas Sabonis, and also why for both Wang Zhizhi and Yao Ming, their idol as a young player in the sports academies was Arvydas Sabonis, as they were fed with alot of Sabonis film footage and was told to try to emulate and learn from it.

Last edited by pryuen on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 pm
old fart,

why are you so stupid :?:

you don't know who Sabo is nor have you seen him play.

why are you arguing about it :?:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 pm
temuchin wrote:
we also know that Sabonis was precisely in the mold of DAVID ROBINSON and HAKEEM, finesse, smooth centers that owned Shaq badly.
your opinion is worst less thant toilet paper.

DRob is ultra quick, Hakeem is even quicker. by comparison, Sabo had lead in his shoes.

both DRob and Hakeem used their superb athleticism to their advantage; Sabo relied on his strength.

bothe DRo and Hakeem were great defenders; Sabo slacked offf on D.

Turd, do you even understnd what precisely means. :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:
temuchin wrote:
Sabonis might have better than both these players when he was in his prime before his injuries... although this is debated. If a wrecked Sabonis could average 16 in the league he might have well put up 60-70 like Robinson or dominated other centers like Hakeem.
TOELET PAPER pulled outta your azz

stop embarrassing yourself.

do you even know who Hakeem is ???? :roll: :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:28 pm
Dr. No wrote:
Momak wrote:
Even during Sabonis's years in the NBA you could tell that his points, his game was clearly different.
you're overstating the obvious.

when Sabo joined the NBA, he was already going downhill, not even a shadow of himself.

That's my point, I emphasize his game during his downhill because centres dont go downhill and just decide to develope an outside game. It shows that he had that game to begin with. Shaq didnt start playing an outside finesse game when he started declining.

Dr. No wrote:
Momak wrote:
And yes, his passing was legendary, probably one of the best passing centres of all time.
that is just rhetorics. back it up with specifics. i'd say Bill Walton is a better passer.

Well for one thing, during his time in the NBA he clearly demonstrated that aspect of his game. There were plenty of highlights of it, and statistically his numbers supported it too. They were high for any centre with his minutes. If you're asking for more, you should know that's pretty difficult given a large part of his earlier years are shrouded with some mystery. Also I didnt say he was THE best, although he definitely would be in the argument for it.

Dr. No wrote:
don't Canadians spell 'center' ?

Nope, we spell it centre. Case in point, the Raptors' home arena is the Air Canada Centre. From what I've seen, which is probably the same as what you've seen, I'd argue the opposite. I dont dispute him having a power aspect of his game, but he also clearly had a finesse aspect. I dont think he relied on power as the primary. He had finesse, movement, positioning and didnt just rely on outpowering his opponent like Shaq did so effectively.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 pm
pryuen wrote:
From the film footage/highlight reels I saw of his play in Europe/NBA/1988 Olympics, he could just stand outside the three point line and sink 3-pointers, or he could easily find the open man.
roflmao

this is like the old fart saying, the last time i've been to InO, it was .........

the last time i saw Sun Yuet play, he was .....
pryuen wrote:
His court vision was second to none, not to mention that he had an impressive array of skills/tricks, the most effective being his over-the-shoulder or behind-the-back passes to cutting men.
stupidity is parroting hype and rhetoric nonsense and presenting them as being gospel

2nd to none, i know Magic Johnson has better court vision than Sabo; Nash is also better, so were stockton and cousy.

just off the top of my head, that's already four ballers with better court vision than Sabo

quit parroting, think stop embarrassing urself.

Offline Profile