<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming's Retirement Press Conference (July 20th 2011)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
GoYao wrote:
But as a basketball fan, this REALLY SUX. Yao should man up and work his butt off and get back on the court! Prove he's no softie and contend for a ring. Shaq played till 39, so could Yao. 30 is way too early to retire! 30 is just getting into the prime for centers! Take another year off to rehab if needed! Yao owes it to all of his fans! Having enough money is no excuse to retire! The MJ's and Kobe's don't keep playing because they NEED the money, they play till they can't play no more to WIN!!!

Play to WIN Yao, be a man, don't be a sissy! Announce a come-back next month!!! In the end, there will be no regrets!!!

It's not like he doesn't want to continue his career, it's his bone won't allow him to do so. Picture yourself in a cast on a yearly basis and then tell me if that sucks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
Sad to see it all ended a bit too prematurely for Yao. However he has lot to be proud of and will always be the standard bearer for future Asian bballers. Still you have to wonder what may have been for Yao had he been a little bit more aggressive on the court with all his offensive talents and height. All I have to say is thanks for the memories and best wishes for the future.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:12 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Earlier in the day, i.e. right before the press conference, Shanghai Mayor Han Zheng and Vice Mayor Zhao Wen in charge of sports, met Yao Ming (and his wife Ye Li) in Henghsan Hotel.

Mayor Han Zheng
thanked Yao Ming for the contribution he made in basketball and to Shanghai, and wished him well and success in all his future endeavors.

Yao Ming was granted a Magnolia Shanghai Sports Lifetime Achievement Award by the Mayor to recognize his contribution and achievements in sports and basketball.

Mayor Han also said all Shanghai people thank Big Yao and are proud of him. Mayor Zheng also told him that he himself is a basketball (and Houston Rockets) fan and saw over 90% of Houston Rockets games during Yao Ming's tenure with the Rockets. He still fondly remembered the #11 jersey he was gifted when he visited Houston and watched a Rockets game in Toyota Centre together with George Bush Sr. and Leslie Alexanderback in 2005.

Yao Ming is the first athlete to be granted the honor. Magnolia awards are usually for science, arts and other fields but Shanghai government decided to set up one for sports for Yao Ming.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 4750Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:39 am
pryuen wrote:

Well, Big Yao told the reporters the first thing he will do is to enrol into Shanghai Jiaotong University in the new school year to major in computer science and financial management/accounting. :shock:

NOT SURE WHETHER it's full time or part time courses.

Imagine Yao Ming walking on the campus of Shanghai Jiaotong University. :P :lol: :D

Is this true? Yao Ming is trying to major as a Computer Scientist and become a programmer? that's cool.

Looks like Amy Yao has to lose some baby fat if she wants to be the #1 pick in the 2033 WNBA draft.

Seems like the press conference went well. haven't heard too much about it in USA media. not like the Lebron James Decision from last year.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:13 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
yaominginfohere wrote:

Is this true? Yao Ming is trying to major as a Computer Scientist and become a programmer? that's cool.

It did not surprise me a bit.

In alot of his past interviews, Big Yao often regretted that he had not recieved/finished proper education when he was young.

He had said it so many times before he wants to go back to university.

And actually back in 2000/2001, in order to represent China in the 2001 Universiade,
he had already "registered" as a student of Shanghai Jiaotong University.

He said as he moves forward in his next phase of his career, in his future business endeavors, he needs to know computer and finance. That's WHY he wants to go back to Shanghai Jiaotong University take some courses.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:35 pm
Tang Man wrote:
Sad to see it all ended a bit too prematurely for Yao. However he has lot to be proud of and will always be the standard bearer for future Asian bballers. Still you have to wonder what may have been for Yao had he been a little bit more aggressive on the court with all his offensive talents and height. All I have to say is thanks for the memories and best wishes for the future.

I don't know HOW AND WHERE you got this impression that Yao Ming had not been playing aggressive in his games.

Even in the first Yao~Shaq encounter in his rookie season, despite 50 pounds LIGHTER than Shaquille O'Neal at that time, Big Yao was still giving his all, banging bodies with Shaq under the post, blocking out Shaq's shots.

And when was the
LAST TIME you saw a >>>7fter and 300 pounder diving onto the floor just trying to catch a loose ball ???

Whenever Big Yao played, he always gave his 100% or even more.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
what tangman meant was, aggressive as in dunking the ball instead of laying the ball up and missing, or getting it blocked. Settling for too many fadeaways instead of driving to the basket. Catching the ball and making an immediate move instead of being mechanical, overanalyzing and waiting for the double-team. That's what he meant by being agressive...u totally missed the point :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:08 pm
From my interpretation I think nig1's got the interpretation right on you Pry. Effort doesnt equate to aggression, and vice versa. Diving for the ball means hustle and effort, things that Yao definitely had. Even for a hater like nig1, you gotta admit that the dude gave it his all on the court.

For aggression I felt Yao got much better at it over the years, until he started getting injured and then appeared to be a bit more conservative with his play once in awhile. I agree sometimes he would be too patient once he got the ball in the post, he could have mixed up the timing better to throw the defense off.

For the fadeaway comment, I never got the sense that he took too many faders instead of driving to the basket though. I'm guessing you're referring to a power-move or spinning to the basket as opposed to "driving" to the basket per se since post-big men dont usually drive to the basket (he ended up cutting to the basket a lot tho off the T-mac P&Rs). He seemed to mix it up pretty well with the hooks, and his faders were still pretty high %.

In the end, he had a great heart, personality, attitude, work ethics, and skills, with a huge impact on and off the court, but was limited by his injuries. That's likely what the majority of basketball fans and analysts will remember him as, and rightly so.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 am
pryuen wrote:
temuchin wrote:
Well that's that then.

Good job Yao. Time to move onto the next stage.

Well, Big Yao told the reporters the first thing he will do is to enrol into Shanghai Jiaotong University in the new school year to major in computer science and financial management/accounting. :shock:

NOT SURE WHETHER it's full time or part time courses.

Imagine Yao Ming walking on the campus of Shanghai Jiaotong University. :P :lol: :D

Just a question. Ye Li has been studying accounting in Houston. Will she enrol in the same classes as Yao Ming in Shanghai? Did she graduate in Houston?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:33 am
superjohn wrote:

Just a question. Ye Li has been studying accounting in Houston. Will she enrol in the same classes as Yao Ming in Shanghai? Did she graduate in Houston?

I don't think Ye Li had graduated from the University of Houston.

I remembered that when she first settled down in Houston, she took at least 1 to 2 years for preparatory courses of English before she took accounting courses at the University of Houston.

Now, as disclosed by Big Yao to Shanghai Mayor Han Zheng in the Lifetime Achievement award ceremony yesterday, they plan to stay most of their time in Shanghai,
chances are that Ye Li will not return to Houston much.

And to take care of her little daughter, I don't think she will have the time to go back to school together with Yao Ming.

Besides, personally don't think Yao Ming will ACTUALLY be a full time student. He could not afford the time, due to the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks and his philanthropic/commercial activities. It could be some distance teaching courses, or some short tailored courses. Alot of athletes in the past, like Chen Nan, the WNBA and centre of China women national team or Liu Guoliang, past Olympics/World Cahmpion and current Head Coach of China national team in table tennis all claimed to have graduated from Shanghai Jiaotong University, but actually, they had not attended a single class there.

Offline Profile