<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming's Retirement Press Conference (July 20th 2011)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:01 am
Posts: 2628Location: Hillsborough, CAJoined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:34 am
Now Yao has retired. Where will this site be? Will it be just gone? I liked the discussions on Chinese and Asian sports. there are a lot of discussion not related to sports as well. It is a shame that we lose a place like this to talk Chinese sports and sports in other asian countries in English.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
bobliu wrote:
Now Yao has retired. Where will this site be? Will it be just gone? I liked the discussions on Chinese and Asian sports. there are a lot of discussion not related to sports as well. It is a shame that we lose a place like this to talk Chinese sports and sports in other asian countries in English.

WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY. :roll:

UNLESS
John changes his mind in a few months or so, this site WILL STILL BE UP AND RUNNING according to him.

And I'll still be creating/posting threads about Chinese basketball, soccer, snooker, figure skating, swimming, and other interesting subject matters here on the forum.

AND OF COURSE NEWS about Yao Ming, even though I'm afraid it will be getting more and more difficult, as he will probably be fading out of the media limelight right after his retirement.

HERE was what John had said about the future of Yaomingmania.com back at the outbreak of the rumor that he is retiring on Yahoo.com.

[quote="John of Yaomingmania.com"]

[size=109]As far as the future of YaoMingMania.com is concerned, we plan to continue running this site as always because of Yao

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:39 am
Well that's that then.

Good job Yao. Time to move onto the next stage.

Yao will be fine. I feel bad for Houston though, for the first time in 25 years it has no superstar and no prospects to get a star to the city. It will struggle to be relevant at all even with Morey there making trades. have to wonder how long Morey will last there or even Les Alexander.

Would be a good move for Les to sell the team while it's still making money and attractive to buyers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:
Well that's that then.

Good job Yao. Time to move onto the next stage.

Well, Big Yao told the reporters the first thing he will do is to enrol into Shanghai Jiaotong University in the new school year to major in computer science and financial management/accounting. :shock:

NOT SURE WHETHER it's full time or part time courses.

Imagine Yao Ming walking on the campus of Shanghai Jiaotong University. :P :lol: :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:12 am

Transcript of a well-wishing message/video that NBA commissioner David Stern sent on the retirement press conference of Big Yao.

David Stern also disclosed that NBA is contemplating to offer Yao a place in the NBA, likely working with the league's initiatives in China that have taken off since the Rockets made Yao the first pick of the 2002 NBA draft.

[quote="David Stern, NBA Commissioner"]

[size=109]Since entering the league as the number one draft pick in the 2002 NBA draft. Yao Ming has been a transformational player for the NBA, and a testament of the globalization of our game. His dominant play, his endearing demeanor, his extensive humanitarian efforts, and really his great sense of humor has made him an international fan favorite, And provided by itself an extraordinary bridge between basketball fans in the United States and basketball fans in China, and citizens of both countries. I very much want to personal congratulate Yao on his distinguished playing career and wish him success as he transitions into the next phase of his life. Importantly, we look forward to working with Yao in continuing the growth of the game of basketball in China, a growth to which he has already contributed so much.

I remember the 2002 NBA Draft. The thrill really of Yao being picked first and the interview from the headquarters of CNN China that he went into to talk to us, and to see his reaction, and America's reaction to Yao. And, it grew from there. Yao has been without question a transformational player for our league, and a source of enormous pride to the people of China, and the people of Chinese decent in the United States. I remember the early years, the particular outpouring of Chinese Americans who came to see this giant, this talented

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:26 am
temuchin wrote:

Yao will be fine. I feel bad for Houston though, for the first time in 25 years it has no superstar and no prospects to get a star to the city. It will struggle to be relevant at all even with Morey there making trades. have to wonder how long Morey will last there or even Les Alexander.

Would be a good move for Les to sell the team while it's still making money and attractive to buyers.

[size=117][color=darkred]YUP.....in an interview with China Daily, Daryl Morey admitted that Yao's retirement made it difficult to find someone replace him, but still value Yao's legacy with the team.

"It's very difficult for me to replace. Actually it's impossible," Morey said.

"Even though Yao won't be on court any more, the culture he brought, the hard work, humbleness and the sense of humor, being a great team member. That will be something I try to preserve."

"We are very grateful for our fans in China. It's something that we've really enjoyed over the years. I hope they continue to watch the Rockets.

"He is a great person who accomplish unbelievable things. After basketball, the next chapter in his life will be more impressive than his first chapter in the basketball because who he is as a person."

Leslie Alexander also said he would like Yao Ming to continue to work with the Rockets, but was not sure that would be[b] Yao

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:17 am
people saw this coming from 2009...

but Yao took the logical approach. after 2009 it made sense to rehab in good faith and try to come back.

this past year with the reinjury and the decline of Houston it just didn't make sense. better to get healthy and live the rest of his life.

feel bad for Houston. from 2009-2010 and then beginning of 2010-2011 Battier, Scola, Chuck and those guys heroically tried to keep the ship above water until Yao came back and they had another run at the championship. I really think the team they had the past 2 years plus Yao would have been great, especially with the declining Lakers and imploded teams in Denver, Portland etc.

it seems like Scola, Battier deserved better, they deserved another chance just like Yao

lol I'd like to see a reality show where Yao spends a spring/summer training up a bunch of young centers and at the end they go to the NBDL combine or something

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:45 am
Posts: 493Location: Cloud nineJoined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:26 pm
Thanks PRYuen for the reports.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see Yao thanking either Morey or Alexander in his speech.

Anyway, thanks Yao for the memories and best wishes for the future.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 pm
This is sad news. As a person, I understand Yao's decision - he's still hurt and more injuries in the grueling NBA will only damage his quality of life for the rest of his years - and he has many years to go. He does not have a contract and no team will sign him anyway; even if a team does sign him, it would be chump change that Yao can make by just endorsing 1 more product.

But as a basketball fan, this REALLY SUX. Yao should man up and work his butt off and get back on the court! Prove he's no softie and contend for a ring. Shaq played till 39, so could Yao. 30 is way too early to retire! 30 is just getting into the prime for centers! Take another year off to rehab if needed! Yao owes it to all of his fans! Having enough money is no excuse to retire! The MJ's and Kobe's don't keep playing because they NEED the money, they play till they can't play no more to WIN!!!

Play to WIN Yao, be a man, don't be a sissy! Announce a come-back next month!!! In the end, there will be no regrets!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_t ... index.html

yao's Q and A presser with Colin Pine from the NBA site.

the translator talking over Yao and during the questions is on drugs. very annoying and distracting. this is how I imagine druno sounds IRL/.

Offline Profile