<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Dedicated Rox Preseason Thread

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 4526Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:
trevianjoe wrote:
why are to rockets going to china, i thought they don't go until the middle of oct?

Naaaaaaah, TheRoxRedGlare did not know what he was talking about. (I guess it was a typo). :roll:

NO WAY
the Rockets are leaving for China now.

They are leaving for Austin where the preasons camp will be held in the next 6 days before they start their preseason game.

They will not leave for China until completing 4 preseason games with Orlando Magic (on October 5), San Antonio Spurs (October 7), Indiana Pacers (October 9) and Cleveland Cavaliers (October 10) (all in Toyota Centre), before travelling to China for 2 games with New Jersey Nets in Beijing (October 13) and in Guangzhou (October 16).

every time they schedule to have Yao vs Yi , Yi gets moved to another team. they had the bucks in China a few years ago anticipating Yi to be on the team, now the nets. anyways hopefully Yao can school and posterize that punk brook lopez.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:28 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
nig1 wrote:
yao practiced for 24 seconds and inspired his teammates.

GTFO !!! HATER !!!! :twisted:

WHAT KIND OF FAN YOU'RE ???

Yao Ming was doing FINE.

He scrimmaged the day before in the 1st day open to the media.

He also scrimmaged yesterday in the Open Day to fans and media.

He was not feeling pain or sore in his foot.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:16 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 19444.html

Rockets notes: Reconsidering Yao's workouts

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle Sept. 27, 2010, 12:16AM

Reconsidering Yao

Rockets center Yao Ming did so well in his second day of scrimmaging Sunday, coach Rick Adelman was considering changing Yao's workout routine.

With no complications from Yao's return to practices, Adelman said he might give Yao time off in Austin so he can let him go longer in the next day's scrimmages.

"He scrimmaged more early, then we backed him off later," Adelman said. "It was a good sign. He wasn't that sore. He came out and did everything.

"We're going to play it by ear. With Yao, if we want him to scrimmage more, I may give him a whole day off. After he has a day off, he has the ability to scrimmage more the next day.
"Right now, they're limiting his minutes based on the fact he's going every day. In Austin, I may not even practice him one day just so he can scrimmage more the next day. Right now, he's done before we can turn around. They're really limiting his minutes."

Yao said he would be fine with the change, calling it part of the experiment.

"I felt OK today," Yao said. "I have not heard from Coach about resting me a whole day, then giving me longer time to play, but I feel we should try that way and see how my feet respond. We should try all different schedules then to get the idea how to play me."

Too much travel

With the Rockets heading to Austin, the second stop in their three-city training camp, coach Rick Adelman made it clear he would rather stay put.

The Rockets will hold their next six practices in Austin because Toyota Center will be occupied by a convention. They move on to McAllen as part of their agreement with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers.

"I'd much rather be here, but they already committed the arena," Adelman said. "I like training camps where you are home, where guys can stay at home. You have the same routine, the same locker room, the same medical things.

"It just makes things a lot easier. You can watch film a lot easier. You can go two-a-days if you want. It wasn't going to happen this year, but at least we did get Austin. We'd done that before, and it's a good setup.

"I don't know if I care for three different cities. I just think in the future we have to think about the fact that it is a lot better when we prepare for a season when you are in one spot and concentration is better. You're not traveling so much. We travel so much in the regular season, why do you have to do it in the preseason?"

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 am
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 17370.html

All attention on Yao

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Sept. 24, 2010, 11:09PM

Center of attention

Rockets center Yao Ming said Friday he does not know if he will be ready for the first preseason game against Orlando on Oct. 5, but thinks his chances are good.

"When I was playing some scrimmage with some of the teammates in the last two weeks, I can't say it (his surgically repaired left foot) is as good as the original one, the one on the right, but it feels as good as can be running on the court," Yao said. "The foot limits me a little bit. I still have time to get it better before the regular season starts.

"I have not played a real game, even an exhibition game. I don't know how it will react. Hopefully, we can learn as soon as possible."

Yao's minutes

The Rockets have not determined how they plan to allocate Yao Ming's playing time, but believe Yao's progress will help determine that and might allow for discussion about his limit of 24 minutes per game.

"As he progresses and as we get more info, we may get new guidance about how he can be used, how many minutes," said. "As we learn more during the season, there is going to be more info. How does his body respond? We may get knew guidance."

The key to determining when to use Yao, coach Rick Adelman said, will be how Yao feels, but he could be used off the bench for the first time since the first 10 games of his career.

"Yao and I have already talked about that," Adelman said. "Is it better to play the first six minutes and the last six minutes of the second quarter? It is better to come off the bench and play six minutes and the first six minutes at the start of the second (quarter.)

"When we see him on the court and get to that point, I think we'll have a pretty good idea how to use him."

Miller's determination

Brad Miller does not want to begin his first training camp with the Rockets limping and watching, but says at this stage of his career that his sprained left ankle will not impair his ability to be ready for the season.

"I look at it as it's my 13th year in the league," Miller said. "I'm coming in with a team with a system that I know. It definitely (stinks) because you want to be out there, but it's not going to slow me down. I'm a vet so we don't look forward to the first couple days of camp anyway as being too enjoyable. I know I'll be ready to go when it really matters.

"One of those freak, stupid things. Should never be playing one-on-one before training camp. Was feeling good, up 2-0, going for the win on three. Just a stupid little injury. It's nothing that's going to slow me down. I'm not based on athleticism or blazing quickness. I don't have to recover like some guys would have to."

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:17 pm
Posts: 892Location: ChicagoJoined: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:48 pm

It's about to get started everybody. Are you ready?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:11 pm
http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2010/09/rock ... _weir.html

September 28, 2010

Rockets move on through a weird day and a rugged camp in Austin, even while out (for now) of the Melo sweepstakes

[size=117]Of all the issues that the start of the Rockets training camp have inspired

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:02 am
They are going to increase Yao's minutes to a reasonable level. Yao is just a super man.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

Photos of the Houston Rockets in the 1st day and 2nd day of their preseason training camp at the Univeristy of Texas at Austin.

Luckily the shooting incident in the Perry-Castaneda Library had not affected the players.

Quite a few of the players were out of the scrimmage; Shane Battier was sick with food poisoning; Jermaine Taylor and Kyle Lowry bumped and brusied their knees during scrimmage; Brad Miller and Chase Budinger were still rehabilitating from their injury and did not join the scrimmage.

Yao Ming attended both day's scrimmage; he had a 2 sessions of 6 minutes each scrimmage on Day 1 so as to have more rest on his foot; but Rick Adelman changed his mind and let him had a 12-minute scrimmage on Day 2 as he thought that would give him the continuity of a 12-minute scrimmage instead of breaking the scrimmage into pieces.

After the 12 minutes scrimmage, Yao Ming sat aside and had a 20 minute massage with the special massaging equipment as shown in the photo. He was in good mood and even cracked jokes with the reporters telling them he was not the first one to use that foot massaging equipment on the day; he said Brad Miller had used it, and then Chase Budinger was the second, and he was the third. He quipped that he could still smell the odor of their sweat on the foot massage machine. :P :lol: :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:40 am

Big Yao's old buddy Fran Blinebury wrote about the 24 minutes limitation on Yao Ming.

Quote:

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/features/f ... ef:nbahpt1

The clock is ticking for
Yao and the Rockets

By Fran Blinebury

Posted Sep 27 2010 8:57PM

Not since Jack Bauer was chasing terrorists, spies, dirty bombs and assassination plots across TV screens has the number 24 loomed with such significance.

Lean in close to the Houston Rockets and you almost hear the clock loudly tick...tick...ticking.

That's because 24 is the number of minutes their All-Star center Yao Ming will be strictly limited to as he makes his latest comeback from injury, reconstructive surgery on his left foot, which will have kept him out of the lineup for nearly 18 months by opening night of the 2010-11 season. According the Rockets' medical team and the front office, it is a firm cap. No exceptions, no changes, no wiggle room.

It's also because 24 is the number of hours in every day that Yao spends plotting, planning, scheming and hoping to eventually explode right through that hard cap and become more than just a part-time contributor in what the Rockets are hoping can be a redemptive season.

Last season the Rockets finished 42-40 and missed the playoffs with Yao mending and watching from the sidelines. Since that time they have re-signed their key free agents Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry, added considerable depth in Brad Miller and Courtney Lee and are operating with a sense of self-appointed urgency.

Management is already looking ahead to next summer and the possible changes to the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union that could impact the roster going forward. Point guard Aaron Brooks and forward Shane Battier are a couple of key components who will be due their turn at the pay window as their contracts expire next summer.

And then there is the 7-foot-6 Yao, who will become literally the biggest free agent on the market next July 1.

Thus, the Rockets are in the possibly conflicting position of being in a hurry to do all they can right now while also looking out for their own -- and Yao's -- best long-term interest by taking it slow.

Yao admits that he argued about the 24-minute-a-game limit with Dr. Tom Clanton, who performed the latest surgery on his left foot, when he had his last examination in late July and was given clearance to return to the team.

"Right now, it's better than nothing," said the seven-time All-Star center with a shrug and a grin that tells you he's wearing it like a hair shirt.

"I felt that...I am out of patience after one year away. I kept telling myself, 'Be patient.' This injury cannot be helped in one day. But...I felt this season is about to start. It's time to get going."

Next to Yao himself, the man facing the biggest challenge is coach Rick Adelman, who will have to come up with a plan to dole out those 24 minutes per night. Does he rejoin the starting lineup, playing the first six minutes in order to develop a feel and a rhythm? Does he come off the bench? Do those minutes have to be saved up through the second half in order to have Yao available to finish games?

On the eve of training camp opening, Adelman had said it was "unrealistic" to expect Yao to play right up to the 24-minute limit right from the start of the season.

"Yao is the big unknown," Adelman said. "I don't think it's fair to say he's going to play 24 minutes. It's got to be something that he feels comfortable with, and it's going to benefit our team, in the long run. It's something we just have to gauge."

For their part, his teammates say they are delighted to have even a part-time contribution from Yao and will make whatever adjustment and accommodation is required, having already had plenty of experience in that area. Yao missed at least 25 games with injuries in three straight seasons from 2005 to 2008 and the entire roster has often been depleted over the past five years.

"The best thing to come out of the last couple of years with the guys who have been here is the knowledge you have to come out and play regardless of who is in and who is out, who may be playing, who may not be playing," said Battier. "Daryl (Morey, general manager) was telling us a stat: The top five injured teams in the league averaged 34 wins. The last five years we averaged 51 wins and we've been the sixth-most injured team in the NBA. It develops a mindset...Go out and play with whoever is in the lineup that night."

There is a difference though between playing to survive for your self-respect and playing to reach the playoffs, then make a run to advance far next spring, which they insist is a goal within their reach.

That's where more of Yao will have to come in.

"How hard can be 24 minutes?" he asked.

Tick...tick...tick.

The Rockets are about to find out.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:05 pm
User avatarPosts: 15699Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:31 pm
Man, I hate blindberry. He writes like a b1tch and a week late.

Offline Profile