<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Breaking News: Yao's Baby Girl Has Arrived !!!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:

Yao says he wants to give his child CHOICES. Obviously it's going to be easier for her to pick up her Chinese citizenship than the other way around if that's what she chooses when she's old enough to decide. I'm sure there's other considerations like the health of the mother and traveling, as well as Yao's intense sense of responsibility to rehab/train with his teammates in Houston but that's clearly one of the considerations he had... respecting the choices his child could make and giving her literally every opportunity in the world.

ABSOLUTELY.

That was EXACTLY Big Yao's position MONTHS BEFORE his daughter was born.

In various interviews on newspaper or TV in China or in USA, Big Yao had stressed and reiterated time and time again that he does not want to restrict or control what his daughter would like to do in future, sports or non-sports, basketball or non-basketball. He said he just wanted to give her the best he can afford and offer, listen and respect her opinions and choices.

On the nationality issue, I believe Big Yao is taking the SAME STANCE, i.e. let his daughter decides for herself when the time comes, i.e. BEFORE she turns 18.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 am
While any Chinese citizen, given the chance, would all rather have their child in the US - for obvious reasons, even I would do the same - I still think Yao should not have done so.

It's a slap in the face for China and all Chinese people that China's #1 hero (depending on which poll, but definitely the most visible person representing China) would rather NOT have his child in his very own motherland, so his child can have "more opportunities".

Can you imagine any famous US citizen, sports stars or not, leave the US and have their child in another country??? Like a Lance Armstrong? The scream of "unpatriotic traitor" would be deafening...

I can hear the jokes already - "...even Yao won't have his child in China! LOL..."

Regardless, congrats to Yao and hope he has his second child in China.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
GoYao wrote:
While any Chinese citizen, given the chance, would all rather have their child in the US - for obvious reasons, even I would do the same - I still think Yao should not have done so.

It's a slap in the face for China and all Chinese people
that China's #1 hero (depending on which poll, but definitely the most visible person representing China) would rather NOT have his child in his very own motherland, so his child can have "more opportunities".

Geeeeeeez, am disappointed that our GoYao has STILL SUCH PEDANTIC 迂腐 THINKING.

BARRING ANY OTHER ACCIDENTS, Big Yao will still have AT LEAST 5 to 6 MORE years to play in NBA, meaning up till his daughter is 5 to 6 years old, he and his wife, and his parents too will still be living in Houston or other cities in USA in the future (depending whether Big Yao will end his playing career with the Rockets).

Unless he is willing to separate with Ye Li or his parents such that they could take care of his daughter in China, or they left his daughter to grow up
ALONE in China 自生自灭, his daughter will have to be living together and spending her childhood with them in the USA. For all purposes (Medicare, education whatever), it will be MORE CONVENIENT for her to be a US citizen than a Chinese to live in the States.

It seems in the eyes of those Fengqing 粪青 (YES and it includes you.... GoYao) Yao Ming is China's national treasure. He was brought up, nurtured by China sports systems to become who he is now: an international icon, with great fame and fortune. He owes it to his country.

Therefore his children should also be China's national property/protected species.

And by deciding to have his child born in USA means
Yao Ming felt USA is better than China, and therefore inexcusable.

This kind of mentality is what I called blind Pan-Nationalism 盲目的泛民族主义.

They seemed to have gone back to the mentality of the People's Commune 人民公社 era. In those years, anything produced: a piglet born from a pig, a pony born from a horse are common properties that belong to the people.

They simply forget: Yao Ming does not really belong to anybody; and he does not owe anybody anything. He has earned his current fame and fortune by his sheer hard work and determination; he had also repaid all his debts to his club and his country for nurturing him to be a basketball player; and he is a free preson that has his own choice; he can decide whatever he wants to do with himself and his family.

And if I'm not mistaken, babies born in USA only earn their citizenship/aboding right there in the States automatically. But that does not mean the child needs to become really American citizen. Before he/she turns 18 years old, he/she has still got the first right of refusal of choosing his/her own nationality.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:40 am
User avatarPosts: 12415Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
While I side w Raymond on this issue, I wouldn't label people who shares GoYao's view
  • blind Pan-Nationalism, 盲目的泛民族主义
  • nor pedantic, 迂腐

what Yao is doing is no different than Chinese diplomats stationed in the US do.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:51 am
Jenny Lang Ping is also a Chinese heroine of her time; also viewed as a national treasure.

Her 18-year-old daughter, Lydia Bai Lang was also born in USA, a US citizen. She has just entered Stanford with full scholarship for her volleyball talents and skills. She had been a member of the US junior national team for years, representing USA in international competition.

WERE THERE ANY NOISES???

WHY Yao Ming had to be treated DIFFERENTLY and to shoulder all these UNNECESSARY CRITICISM AND PRESSURE??? :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 am
I'm still in my opinion that it totally should be Yao and his wife's decision as to where the child was born. But I can totally see where GoYao's views are coming from. He does have a relevant point that some people especially in China may feel like it's a slap in the face to them and their country. I don't think it's as black and white as we imagine or wish it should be in this case, and there's different ways of looking at it. Though we need to face that in reality we all know Yao carries a lot more on his shoulders than we could ever imagine.

Also, as tempting as it is, it's difficult to make such comparisons with other past Chinese athletes in similar situations because it's totally dependent on each situation. I'm not saying it's not relevant, but in these cases, a past exception does not necessarily set the norm.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:39 am
Tang Man wrote:
temuchin wrote:
Lol she'll have a "much greater chance" because she'll be competing against Chinese instead of blacks and whites?

It's hilarious that you would mention she can't compete with whites after you've spend many sleepless nights trying prove that whites don't have athletic genes. Man you were on the verge of suicide after totally and utterly embarrassing yourself. So I am not sure why you're back for more.

I can't be bother reading the rest of your garbage because to put it bluntly I don't give a f u c k what you think and can't be bother to push you to the edge of another suicidal attempt.

what a loser. you've given up even trying to make a cogent point. you cant bear retreading the stupid ****** you post so you resort to blatantly making up ****** and then quickly exiting every thread once you get slapped down.

isn't what's actually hilarious in this thread the fact that you're the one who posted that playing for China was "really the only choice for her" rather than competing against black and white kids for the US team... then reading my post which stated the opposite, you become flustered and call the very thing you posted 1 post earlier ridiculous and "hilarious."

you're so stupid you own yourself by contradicting yourself and agreeing with me. then you claim you won the Internet and quit.

that's actually less stupid than posting over and over how Agassi had no talent and how Jordan's family had no athletic genes (despite the fact that Michael chose his number 23 because he aspired to be "half as good" as his brother Larry who wore 45") and posting 4-5x in a row "demanding" that I demolish your ignorance when I let it slide

sadly an imbecilic post where you call your own explicitly posted views "hilarious" and a quick exit is the smartest thing you've posted in months. so a sincere congrats at least you didn't get rolled as usual

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:09 am
AT LEAST some open minded people are sober enough to stand up and speak for Big Yao against all those Fengqing 粪青 !!!

Quote:

http://opinion.globaltimes.cn/chinese-p ... 35718.html

US baby doesn't make
Yao Ming less patriotic

May 26 2010

Yao Ming has a daughter born in the US last Friday.

According to American law, his daughter automatically received US citizenship, and Chinese law does not recognize dual nationality, so Yao became the father of a US baby, which disappointed his fans. The nationality of Yao's daughter has become a nationalist touchstone.

Yao, as a basketball super star and NBA player, is very popular among Chinese public. He has become a Chinese national hero, and it is thought that the daughter of a Chinese national hero should have Chinese nationality.

Here comes a question: Is it true that a Chinese who plays decent basketball in the US can be called a national hero? Frankly, it is a common phenomenon among developing countries. Many years after the effects of imperialism, developing countries still try to beat the former imperialists any way they can.

But this is taking nationalism too far. It is not necessary to compare basketball skills rather than gross national happiness.

Yao has fulfilled his responsibilities as a Chinese and a basketball player, and he deserves the right to choose his daughter's nationality.

Even if Yao is a national hero, is it necessary that his daughter must also be a legacy and therefore better have a Chinese nationality?

The true nationalism does not force citizens to sacrifice their right to choose. It is not Yao's fault he loves his daughter.

Southern Metropolis Daily

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:15 am
pryuen is just a blind supporter of Yao Ming, and a PEDANTIC THINKING moron.
Lang Ping did the wrong thing for her daughter.
Yao also did the wrong thing. This so-called Yao allowing her daughter to choose her nationality is crap. Yao should have gone back to China to have the baby. That way there is no need for her daughter to select between nationalities.
If Yao's daughter wants to immigrate to the US in the future, then with all the money that they have, she can still do it.

Yao might as well immigrate to the US himself and play for the US national team, if the US coaches think Yao is better than Howard.

Yao did a bad thing for her daughter by allowing her to be born in a country that is going bankrupt, rather than in their native country that is rising rapidly.

pryuen is just a Yao a$$ licker. What Yao does is always right. Just imagine if Yao had his baby in China, pryuen would have said, "see how patriotic Yao is by having the baby in China".

Last edited by superjohn on Thu May 27, 2010 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am
GoYao wrote:

It's a slap in the face for China and all Chinese people that China's #1 hero (depending on which poll, but definitely the most visible person representing China) would rather NOT have his child in his very own motherland, so his child can have "more opportunities".

Can you imagine any famous US citizen, sports stars or not, leave the US and have their child in another country??? Like a Lance Armstrong? The scream of "unpatriotic traitor" would be deafening...

I can hear the jokes already - "...even Yao won't have his child in China! LOL..."

Regardless, congrats to Yao and hope he has his second child in China.

You are totally right here. Just ignore what pryuen, the Yao a$$ licker, the Chinese-hating moron, has to say.

Offline Profile