<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yang Lan's One-On-One With Yao Ming (2 Episodes)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

And there was in the interview a section that moved me very much that Yang Lan did not include into her summary.

And that was this section Yao Ming talked about his relationship with Wang Zhizhi.

When asked about his relationship with Wang Zhizhi and why he had chosen Wang Zhizhi as his role model/target when he was still in CBA/NBA, he said: "I've always felt the relationship between the two of us is very, very delicate and subtle. We're certainly not very close and intimate good friends; after all we were brought up and had been living in different places over the years. But for all these years, we were competitors or team mates on the court, and that had resulted in a very very strange feeling which I could not describe clearly." He then quipped "Definitely we are no brokebacks 断背."

He said alot of critics and friends in the US could not understand why he had always mentioned that his role model/idol used to be Wang Zhizhi. He said only people that knew the history of modern Chinese basketball will understand.

Yao Ming also mentioned when Bayi Fubong Rockets went to Shanghai to play with the Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks, he and Wang Zhizhi met and had a dinner together for reminiscence. Yao Ming said he felt indebted to and was very grateful to Wang Zhizhi for all these years, cos he always provided him a motivational force to catch up with him during his CBA/NBA years.

He said he told Wang Zhizhi during the dinner: "If there is no me in this world, you will still be you. But if there is no you in this world, then there will not be me for who I am today." 没有我的话,你还是你,但是如果没有你,我就会不是今天的我。

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
What Yao's trying to say is: if WZZ did not score those points to give Dallas fans free tacos, there would be no Yao Ming.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
nig1 wrote:
What Yao's trying to say is: if WZZ did not score those points to give Dallas fans free tacos, there would be no Yao Ming.

So Yao Ming was CORRECT. FOOLS like you who never ventured out of Houston would not comprehend WHY Wang Zhizhi was the role model/target that Big Yao set for himself when he played in CBA. :roll:

Yao Ming wrote:

He said only people that knew the history of modern Chinese basketball will understand.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
actually I was born in Belgium, lived half my life in Europe. Traveled to France, Spain, Greece, visited HK, Japan, China. I've just been residing in Houston for the last 15yrs. But this is YMM so u can say I've never ventured out like Dr. No :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:30 pm
nig1 wrote:
actually I was born in Belgium, lived half my life in Europe. Traveled to France, Spain, Greece, visited HK, Japan, China. I've just been residing in Houston for the last 15yrs. But this is YMM so u can say I've never ventured out like Dr. No :D

LOL !!! :P

I always thought you're under 15 years old, based on those dumb, stupid and immature posts of yours in the past........ :roll:

Offline Profile