<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Yao Ming Latest: Could Miss 1st 2 Months of Season!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
I know......sensationalism at its finest!

But it is an AP Wire that was sent out....so for what it's worth.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38312474/ ... ayer_news/

Yao could miss season's first two months?

Yao Ming - C - Houston Rockets

- 3:20 PM ET

According to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times, Yao Ming "could miss up to the first two months of the season."

Immediately preceding this depressing notion, Woelfel writes that "Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon." We would be surprised to see Yao in uniform on opening day, but hopefully the two-month timeline is exaggerated.

Source: Racine Journal-Times

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:45 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

Well, it should be senationalism at its FINEST. :roll:

Big Yao is in Shanghai right now. In today's interview with reporters, he said EXCEPT FOR physical contact basketball, he had been given green light by the doctors to add both contents and intensity to his training regimen/program. And he achieved GREAT RESULTS in his weight control. He had once ballooned to over 350 pounds during his recuperation. But in the past 3 months, with his strenuous rehabilitation training and stringent diet control, he had successfully reduced his weights by 20 KGs to become 310 pounds again.

He ended the interview saying he has FULL CONFIDENCE that body wise, he should be ready for basketball by the time the pre-season training camp opens in October.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:07 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Daryl Morey's response to this piece of senationalism was: THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE !!! :P

[quote]

[size=109]http://blogs.chron.com/nba/

There were a couple sentences in the Racine (Wisc.) Journal Times about Yao Ming on Monday:

"Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon and he could miss up to the first two months of the season."

[b]Rockets officials report that Yao

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:22 am
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38312474/ ... ayer_news/

Yao could miss season's first two months?

Yao Ming - C - Houston Rockets

- 3:20 PM ET

According to Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal-Times, Yao Ming "could miss up to the first two months of the season."

Immediately preceding this depressing notion, Woelfel writes that "Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon." We would be surprised to see Yao in uniform on opening day, but hopefully the two-month timeline is exaggerated.

Source: Racine Journal-Times

yeah I read this too

this is stupid. how would this reporter have this information?

yao is fine

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 am
User avatarPosts: 4489Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm
pryuen wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

Well, it should be senationalism at its FINEST. :roll:

Big Yao is in Shanghai right now. In today's interview with reporters, he said EXCEPT FOR physical contact basketball, he had been given green light by the doctors to add both contents and intensity to his training regimen/program. And he achieved GREAT RESULTS in his weight control. He had once ballooned to over 350 pounds during his recuperation. But in the past 3 months, with his strenuous rehabilitation training and stringent diet control, he had successfully reduced his weights by 20 KGs to become 310 pounds again.

He ended the interview saying he has FULL CONFIDENCE that body wise, he should be ready for basketball by the time the pre-season training camp opens in October.

Yao will probably weigh 340 pounds towards the end of his career and 400 pounds a few years after he retires from basketball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:09 pm
User avatarPosts: 4061Location: Let The Good Times Roll!Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:34 pm
[quote="pryuen"]Daryl Morey's response to this piece of senationalism was: THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE !!! :P

[quote]

[size=109]http://blogs.chron.com/nba/

There were a couple sentences in the Racine (Wisc.) Journal Times about Yao Ming on Monday:

"Houston officials are hopeful All-Star center Yao Ming will be physically sound for the regular-season opener. But I'm hearing the Rockets aren't about to rush their star back too soon and he could miss up to the first two months of the season."

[b]Rockets officials report that Yao

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:26 pm
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:
Yeah, but truth be told, the Rox are not going to publicly say anything about Yao's playing status right now that would compromise their sale of season ticket packages.

but at the same they cant lie about the state of Yao's health.

1) if they drastically lie about Yao's condition and it become evident that he's not near ready when the season starts they'll have a huge backlash from ppl who bought tickets. it's a bad PR move to get shortterm gain now for backlash later when they could have been ambiguous and benefited from both some sales now and no backlash later.

but they haven't been ambiguous they've been clear that Yao is actually ahead of schedule

2) there are financial (insurance) implications to lying about Yao's health. if he's supposed to be fine they cant collect. doubt Les would risk even one cent he's entitled to in that way

Quote:
It may not even be a bad idea to give Yao more time just to be on the safe side. I personally would rather have him ready for the playoff push rather than him start the season and wear and tear takes its toll on his health.

Even if Yao is ready to go at the start of the season, I'm sure the Rox will take every precaution and limit his minutes this year.

yeah the Rockets they need Yao in the PLAYOFFS. he's going to singlehandedly decide how far they go. if he plays like he did against Portland and the first 2 games of LA they could go all the way. if he plays like against Utah or Mavs all those years they're out the first round

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:48 am
Posts: 1096Location: calgary, canadaJoined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:29 pm
http://kilt.cbslocal.com/2010/07/20/gery-woelfel/

He's sticking by his word.

Said there are still issues when Yao lands :?

Sounds pretty legit to me... we'll see I guess.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:17 pm
temuchin wrote:
TheRoxRedGlare wrote:

yeah I read this too

this is stupid. how would this reporter have this information?

yao is fine

I don't think you can knock the reporter because he works for
the Racine newspaper. He has actually covered the NBA for 20+ years and has good contacts with many NBA organizations. He talked to someone (in confidence) in the Rox organization about Yao's status.

Check out Skylaars entry above.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:09 am
it sounds like total bullshit

not the least bit legit this dude is full of ******

Offline Profile