<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:50 am
User avatarPosts: 2682Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:48 pm
that's just yao's way of saying "don't boo me if I suck". There's gonna be lots of goose-egg nights..Yao can always use the "I'm not 100%, I might retire line" to ease the critics off his back.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:07 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Malorkayel wrote:
No talk about Yao thinking retirement if his foot doesn't heal?

from espn

He did say that during one of the sohu.com and sina.com interviews, which I did not bother to go into details.

He said that when he was asked about his rehabilitation status and whether he will continue to play for China national team in next year's Asian Championship and the 2012 London Olympics.

As usual, Yao Ming openly expressed that he is still on track of his rehabilitation; he is eager to return to court to play, but not sure whether he can return to the previous dominant player that he was.

He reiterated, considering his age, he is NO LONGER the future of Chinese basketball, and the national team should develop new players to take over his responsibility. The chance for him to play in 2012 London Olympics is very very slim.

Then he said, psychologically, he had made the worst preparation that if his foot does not respond or recover fully in the new season, he might consider calling it a quit after the 2010 ~ 11 season.

To me, he is just being honest, and it does not REALLY mean that he is contemplating retirement. But he is sending a STRONG MESSAGE to those CBA bureaucrats: DON'T COUNT ON ME to save Chinese basketball in future international competitions.

But then OF COURSE, for headline journalism, it had been BLOWN OUT OF ALL PORPORTION by all related media (ESPN, CBS sports etc. etc.).

Like Jason Friedman pointed out CORRECTLY, it is just sensational journalism at its finest !!!

[quote]

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/_brief_ ... 07_27.html

[size=109][b]This is Yao Ming we

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 am
User avatarPosts: 109Location: canadaJoined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:27 pm
nig1 wrote:
that's just yao's way of saying "don't boo me if I suck". There's gonna be lots of goose-egg nights..Yao can always use the "I'm not 100%, I might retire line" to ease the critics off his back.

or... maybe he's just being truthful to his fans...

i think he's proved all he needs to since the infamous kiss the ***** days when people thought he was a flop. he's proved himself through sheer willpower and as a fan has given me years of entertainment.

nig1, i'm sure deep down you feel the same way. after all, if yao retires, there won't be much to hate on...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 am
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
I would feel sad if he has to go out that way. For an athlete, the last thing you want is to walk away because of injury. It's another story if he isn't good enough, then it would be easier for people to accept that reality.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
When Big Yao was on his road to Guangyuan City of Chengdu yesterday, A reporter called him by telephone to interview him. When asked to comment on all these news/rumors about his contemplated retirement due to what he said to the media, he just simply brushed it aside by replying: 言多必失, which literally means the more you talk, the higher chance you err.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 pm

This guy just never stops.

Yesterday was Sunday. But after a 1 day rest after returning from Chengdu of Sichuan, Yao Ming showed up in his #3 commercial endorsement of this summer in a press conference at the Howard Johnson All Suites Hotel oif Shanghai.

The Guangdong By-Health Biotechnology Co. Ltd., the #1 leading supplier for high-quality nutritional supplements, functional health food and natural dietary supplement products in China signed up Yao Ming as their national Image Spokesperson.

In China, By-Health is the #1 leading supplier in healthcare/nutrition products relying on outlet/channel distribution sales, with over 9,000 sales counters/outlets throughout China. (Amway Nutrilite is the #1 supplier in Direct Selling).

http://by-healthex.en.alibaba.com/aboutus.html

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:35 am
[size=117]And in the press conference of the contract signature with By-Health, when asked to comment on the recent "contemplated retirement in the new season if his foot does not recover fully" remarks that flooded all Chinese and Western media, Yao Ming said with some frustration:

"First of all I have to say, I'm recovering well. From these reports, I deeply understand the meaning of one Chinese proverb:
断章取义 (Literally: Quoting out of context). I talked about 100 sentences in that interview (with China Daily); they threw away 99 of them and just magnified that sentence I've said. Of course, I would like to add that I do not deny that I said that."

[b] "首先我要说,我恢复得不错。从这些报道中,我深刻体会到了一个词的含义: 断章取义。[color=darkred] 好比说,100句话中可能有一句是这么说的,但是其中99句都丢了,就只放大这一句话

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 am
[quote="pryuen"][size=117]And in the press conference of the contract signature with By-Health, when asked to comment on the recent "contemplated retirement in the new season if his foot does not recover fully" remarks that flooded all Chinese and Western media, Yao Ming said with some frustration:

"First of all I have to say, I'm recovering well. From these reports, I deeply understand the meaning of one Chinese proverb:
断章取义 (Literally: Quoting out of context). I talked about 100 sentences in that interview (with China Daily); they threw away 99 of them and just magnified that sentence I've said. Of course, I would like to add that I do not deny that I said that."

[b] "首先我要说,我恢复得不错。从这些报道中,我深刻体会到了一个词的含义: 断章取义。[color=darkred] 好比说,100句话中可能有一句是这么说的,但是其中99句都丢了,就只放大这一句话

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:38 am
Yao Ming presided today (August 3) in the opening ceremony/launch of a national campaign by MAXXIS aka Cheng-Shin Rubber Industrial Co. Ltd., i.e. the endorser of his team Shanghai MAXXIS Sharks.

The national campaign is titled: "2010 MAXXIS Green Tire Campaign".

During the launch, Yao Ming called upon vehicle owners all over China to pay particular attention to maintain normal pressure for the tires of their cars, so as to eliminate safety hazards, reduce fuel consumption, as well as reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

When car owners realize the pollution brought about by carbon dioxide, they have started to reduce its emissions. But they did not realize that normal tire pressure plays an important role in environmental protection.

According to expert calculations/study, on average, a litre of gasoline will produce 1128.96 litre of carbon dioxide, which is quite a staggering figure.

Research also shows abnormal tire pressure will lead to increased friction between the tires and the ground, which will increase fuel consumption, and in turn, will increase exhaust carboin dioxide emissions.

Normal inflated tires can save about 0.00565 kg of fuel per kilometer and a tire properly inflated for one year will reduce carbon emissions by 89 kg. As there are more than 5.7 million of cars in China, if the tire pressure of the tires of each car are maintained in the normal level, it will help to reduce more than 500 million kilograms of carbon emissions, which will save fuel consumption, as well as protect the environment.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 am

Geeeeez, today is the hottest day of this summer for Shanghai. 39.6 degree Centigrade (103 degrees Fahrenheit).

And the crazy Yao Ming had 3 commercial activities all packed into this afternoon.

• 14:30 pm at the Shanghai Garden Hotel, a re-run of the Yao-Monster launch.
  • 16:00 pm at the Shanghai Children's Palace, a get-to-gether time with children in his capacity as the Image Spokesperson for Oreo of Nabisco Division of Kraft Foods.
  • 17:00 pm at Nanjing Road for the launch of the 2010 MAXXIS Green Tire Campaign as I outlined above.
3 commercial activities all packed into 6 hours today.

Offline Profile