<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  4/28/2009 Playoff Round 1 Game 5 @ Portland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
The summary of the game is this:

We had our chance, but thanks to Refs and Brooks who screwed it up for us.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:54 pm
Pry I keep telling you that RA didn't want Lowry to keep picking up fouls.

RA is veteran enough as a coach to see when Stern has pulled strings and told the officials to start calling bullshit he wanted brooks in there.

that run Portland made was during a stretch where every time down the court the refs would bailout the Blazers if they didn't score with a touch foul to yield a 15+ point swing in the game.

brooks was ****** but it was those consecutive fouls that really hurt the rockets and hurt their momentum. they wanted Portland down the stretch to win this game

it's true that artest jacked like 2 shots and brooks but that's the type of players they are... when the defense was clicking they both tried more or less to play the system. when Portland pulled ahead they both freelance and try to do something to score. before that point Houston had done a good job in the 4th quarter to try to get Yao involved and Yao himself was active

RA's substitution scheme is evident now. when they're behind RA puts in the defensive team and brooks. when they're ahead he puts in the 2nd unit to gamble more and put pressure offensively on the Trailblazers. portland started to pull ahead so he wanted Brooks.

Lowry doesn't jack a bunch of outside jumpers like brooks but his main value is drawing fouls. if the refs have been told not to call fouls for houston it's pointless to have lowry in there every drive is a wasted possession or a foul on lowry

I missed the first half but Houston actually played a solid game in the 2nd half. They clamped down on defense they only started to crumble when the refs made call after call for Portland. Yao missed a couple shots and Roy hit a couple of 3s to stretch it but the pressure came from the refs... houston could still have won if they hit everything but they didn't so it goes back to houston

Last edited by temuchin on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
bayern wrote:

lol... I didn't watch tonight's game. I guess I was right. They lost.

I hardly post tonight, in hope they'll finally do it before posting. Instead I just got more disappointment. 68-64 up. The game was there for the taking. Good teams would have close the doors. The Rockets just aren't a good team. For their sake, I hope they will get it done Thursday night.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm
both coach got 25000 fine for speaking

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:59 pm
temuchin wrote:
Pry I keep telling you that RA didn't want Lowry to keep picking up fouls.

RA is veteran enough as a coach to see when Stern has pulled strings and told the officials to start calling bullshit he wanted brooks in there.

that run Portland made was during a stretch where every time down the court the refs would bailout the Blazers if they didn't score with a touch foul to yield a 15+ point swing in the game.

brooks was ****** but it was those consecutive fouls that really hurt the rockets and hurt their momentum. they wanted Portland down the stretch to win this game

it's true that artest jacked like 2 shots and brooks but that's the type of players they are... when the defense was clicking they both tried more or less to play the system. when Portland pulled ahead they both freelance and try to do something to score. before that point Houston had done a good job in the 4th quarter to try to get Yao involved and Yao himself was active

RA's substitution scheme is evident now. when they're behind RA puts in the defensive team and brooks. when they're ahead he puts in the 2nd unit to gamble more and put pressure offensively on the Trailblazers. portland started to pull ahead so he wanted Brooks.

Lowry doesn't jack a bunch of outside jumpers like brooks but his main value is drawing fouls. if the refs have been told not to call fouls for houston it's pointless to have lowry in there every drive is a wasted possession or a foul on lowry

I missed the first half but Houston actually played a solid game in the 2nd half. They clamped down on defense they only started to crumble when the refs made call after call for Portland. Yao missed a couple shots and Roy hit a couple of 3s to stretch it but the pressure came from the refs... houston could still have won if they hit everything but they didn't so it goes back to houston

Why would the refs want Portland to win?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
johnl wrote:

RA needs to spend another 25,000. He needs to let the refs know that last 9 or so minute is not acceptable. The Rockets were leading 68-64 and then the game turns on a couple of questionable calls.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:02 pm
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

I hardly post tonight, in hope they'll finally do it before posting. Instead I just got more disappointment. 68-64 up. The game was there for the taking. Good teams would have close the doors. The Rockets just aren't a good team. For their sake, I hope they will get it done Thursday night.

Houston didn't just stumble ***** backwards into a position to win this game in the 4th. They WORKED for it. It was good basketball that put them in a position to win.

Yao got a couple good looks ( a bit out of his ideal range but decent looks) and he didn't hit. Brooks didn't hit any of his jumpers and only hit that one floater.

When the refs start screwing you and you dont hit your shots you lose. If Houston had hit 2-3 more of their shots and Roy had missed that 3 then the game would have swung the other way.

Overall I'm not disappointed in how the Rockets played. On another night they might have won this game. They put themselves in a position to win. That long defensive sequence during their run was awesome both with great defense/forcing turnovers, defensive rebounding and great movement on offense. The next game or the next they'll flip "heads" on their shots and win.

In any case IMO Stern doesn't want Portland to win he wants Houston to win... he's just going to make them play more games for it. If it comes down to game 7 I think Houston gets 2 more whistles and Portland gets like 4-5 fewer calls in the 2nd half and Houston advances.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm
Tang Man wrote:
johnl wrote:

RA needs to spend another 25,000. He needs to let the refs know that last 9 or so minute is not acceptable. The Rockets were leading 68-64 and then the game turns on a couple of questionable calls.

well.. what can you do?? nothing.. stern wants to make more money... you know.. i think china should just let yao and some other chinese player finish their nba career ... then never let another chinese player play for nba again.. then just ban nba in china for good....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
mikej230 wrote:
after nate mac complained to the media against the officials, there was 24 fouls called the Rox and only 12 against the Blazers. the Blazers got 24 FTAs to the Rox's 10.

coinicidence?

Well, after all the shoving, pounding, pushing, elbowing, hugging throughout the game....Big Yao had only 1/1 FT%. NUFF SAID. :twisted:

The referees just swallowed their whistles and open one eye, closed one eye on all those 2-handed defense by the TrailBlazers on Big Yao.

So poor Rick Adelman got fined U$25K for commenting that basketball games became wrestling.....and Nate McMillan must feel now his US$ 25K fine was worthy as the referees now accepted that all the shoving, pounding, pushing, elbowing, hugging on Big Yao were just touch fouls. :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm
temuchin wrote:
Tang Man wrote:
bayern wrote:

Houston didn't just stumble ***** backwards into a position to win this game in the 4th. They WORKED for it. It was good basketball that put them in a position to win.

Yao got a couple good looks ( a bit out of his ideal range but decent looks) and he didn't hit. Brooks didn't hit any of his jumpers and only hit that one floater.

When the refs start screwing you and you dont hit your shots you lose. If Houston had hit 2-3 more of their shots and Roy had missed that 3 then the game would have swung the other way.

Overall I'm not disappointed in how the Rockets played. On another night they might have won this game. They put themselves in a position to win. That long defensive sequence during their run was awesome both with great defense/forcing turnovers, defensive rebounding and great movement on offense. The next game or the next they'll flip "heads" on their shots and win.

In any case IMO Stern doesn't want Portland to win he wants Houston to win... he's just going to make them play more games for it. If it comes down to game 7 I think Houston gets 2 more whistles and Portland gets like 4-5 fewer calls in the 2nd half and Houston advances.

yeah.. its like that easy.... man... but i do agree with you that if they let rox win... and even win few rings... then NBA will make alot of money!!

Offline Profile