Author Message

<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  4/26/2009 Playoff Round 1 Game 4 Vs Portland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
The Rockets just need to show the same composure they showed in game 1. They need to take the crowd out of it and get off to a quick start. Calls will invariably go the Blazers way as it did in game 1 with Yao in foul trouble in the 3rd quarter but if they build the lead early it won't matter.

It won't be an easy game because Roy is quickly emerging as a superstar. However if the Rockets apply the pressure early, I just think it will be mentally too draining for a young Blazers team to dig themselves out of the huge hole they are in. However the longer the Blazers remain in the game the more dangerous they'll become. There's also the danger of the Rockets starting the game soft and get down big early. Do that and they'll face the task of returning to Houston to close out the series. So FOCUS and CONCENTRATION are absolute keys for the Rockets in the first half. You don't want to give the Blazers life.

I see Artest having a big game. There's no way he'll be intimidating by the crowd. In fact I think he thrives in that type of environment. I am hoping Yao will be able to stay out of foul trouble and have another good game.

THE ROCKETS CAN GET IT DONE IN 5.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
pryuen wrote:
seiya wrote:


yes. the blazers have more issues to worry on both ends than the rockets. 4 bad games by yao and artest but rockets still up 3-1 says a lot. blazers will have to pick their poison, yao or the rest of the team. if there's any confusion on blazers' D, rox stand a big chance of winning next game. the pressure is more on them.


So Game 1 where Big Yao was 100 % 9/9 FG% 6/6 FT% for 24 points and set the tune for the thrashing of the TrailBlazers in Portland was considered a bad game??? :shock:

And for Game 4 where he beat the fronting/double-teaming of the TrailBlazers to score 21 points/12 rebounds was another bad game??

You're a GENIUS !!! :roll:


4 bad games by Yao AND Artest, 2 each :roll: :roll:


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 4636Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
seiya wrote:
pryuen wrote:
seiya wrote:


yes. the blazers have more issues to worry on both ends than the rockets. 4 bad games by yao and artest but rockets still up 3-1 says a lot. blazers will have to pick their poison, yao or the rest of the team. if there's any confusion on blazers' D, rox stand a big chance of winning next game. the pressure is more on them.


So Game 1 where Big Yao was 100 % 9/9 FG% 6/6 FT% for 24 points and set the tune for the thrashing of the TrailBlazers in Portland was considered a bad game??? :shock:

And for Game 4 where he beat the fronting/double-teaming of the TrailBlazers to score 21 points/12 rebounds was another bad game??

You're a GENIUS !!! :roll:


4 bad games by Yao AND Artest, 2 each :roll: :roll:


I thought Yao only had 1 bad game. He was dominant in game 1, was a force on the boards and on defense in game 3, and had a strong all-around game in game 4. His only "bad" game was game 2...


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
PhilNYC wrote:
I thought Yao only had 1 bad game. He was dominant in game 1, was a force on the boards and on defense in game 3, and had a strong all-around game in game 4. His only "bad" game was game 2...


well, bad isn't the most proper word. i didn't mean he_should've_played_better bad, but more of statistically bad. i did defend yao after game 3 by pointing out that he created lots of oppotunities for his teammates by drawing double teams.


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:32 pm
Posts: 10073Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm
Game 1 Yao had a HOF first quarter, an allstar first half then sat on the toilet for the rest of the game

I'm not sure how you quantify that game. is scoring a million points then going AWOL for a half a "good" "great" or 'wack" game

On the other hand it was PRODUCTIVE. That first quarter put the fear of Yao into the Portland Trailblazers for the entire series. Scola going off on 2 games, Battier being open for some clutch 3s and Portland's front line fouling themselves out all over the place was a direct consequence of them knowing the back of their minds that Yao would explode at any times.

Overall Yao's had a mediocre but productive series. He's productive because he's doing enough for the team to win and if he did any less the team would not be able to win without what he's doing. It's mediocre because he's taken himself out of the game with some stupid fouls, had huge lapses like TOs and throwing the ball away and hasn't shot particularly well with the exception of key sequences and hasn't even been involved on some nights as the game is being decided

Basically Houston is winning due to some key factors

1) Morey. He's done a GREAT job building a team around Yao. This team is winning first and foremost because they have more pieces than Portland.

2) Refs. Hard to say they've done a GOOD job. But them simply not taking Yao out of the series is basically a huge favor to Houston. Thank Mao they're playing Portland ... small market, crap team. Against LA, Utah, Mavs, Miami, Lebron, Duncan etc etc they'd have already screwed Houston. Good thing Stern seems to want Houston to advance and meet LA and get decent ratings for that next round series

then there's a HUUUUUUUUGE gap. 1&2 are like 1-95 in terms of importance but there's also

3) RA done a nice job with adjustments. I actually like how he's used Yao. He's putting in Lowry and Wafer in the end of games which most coaches would consider risky. His sub of Chuck won them that game. Overall RA stepping up with his rotation and he's doing a good job keeping the team calm and ready to play.

4) scrubs. everyone but the stars (yao artest) are playing ****** awesome. these are some B list STUDS. Scola playing like El Pollo Loco. Wafer is crazy but committed. Brooks never met a shot he didn't like or a 2nd FT he DID like. And Lowry as the Alchemists of Old are able to bend space and time and manufacture fouls out of nothing whenever he goes to the rim


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:47 am
Posts: 4636Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
temuchin wrote:
Game 1 Yao had a HOF first quarter, an allstar first half then sat on the toilet for the rest of the game

I'm not sure how you quantify that game. is scoring a million points then going AWOL for a half a "good" "great" or 'wack" game


I don't consider having the coach rest him during the 4th quarter of a blowout/garbage time as "going AWOL".

Quote:
Overall Yao's had a mediocre but productive series. He's productive because he's doing enough for the team to win and if he did any less the team would not be able to win without what he's doing. It's mediocre because he's taken himself out of the game with some stupid fouls, had huge lapses like TOs and throwing the ball away and hasn't shot particularly well with the exception of key sequences and hasn't even been involved on some nights as the game is being decided


During this series, Yao is shooting at a higher FG%, higher FT%, grabbing more rebounds, with less than half the turnovers than he did during the regular season (per game average). He is 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense, and yet he's being more efficient than he was during the season and impacting the game in a huge way. He has been far more than mediocre...without the attention he is drawing, the Rockets would be losing this series.

Quote:
Basically Houston is winning due to some key factors

1) Morey. He's done a GREAT job building a team around Yao. This team is winning first and foremost because they have more pieces than Portland.

2) Refs. Hard to say they've done a GOOD job. But them simply not taking Yao out of the series is basically a huge favor to Houston. Thank Mao they're playing Portland ... small market, crap team. Against LA, Utah, Mavs, Miami, Lebron, Duncan etc etc they'd have already screwed Houston. Good thing Stern seems to want Houston to advance and meet LA and get decent ratings for that next round series

then there's a HUUUUUUUUGE gap. 1&2 are like 1-95 in terms of importance but there's also

3) RA done a nice job with adjustments. I actually like how he's used Yao. He's putting in Lowry and Wafer in the end of games which most coaches would consider risky. His sub of Chuck won them that game. Overall RA stepping up with his rotation and he's doing a good job keeping the team calm and ready to play.

4) scrubs. everyone but the stars (yao artest) are playing ****** awesome. these are some B list STUDS. Scola playing like El Pollo Loco. Wafer is crazy but committed. Brooks never met a shot he didn't like or a 2nd FT he DID like. And Lowry as the Alchemists of Old are able to bend space and time and manufacture fouls out of nothing whenever he goes to the rim


Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:02 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
PhilNYC wrote:

During this series, Yao is shooting at a higher FG%, higher FT%, grabbing more rebounds, with less than half the turnovers than he did during the regular season (per game average). He is 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense, and yet he's being more efficient than he was during the season and impacting the game in a huge way. He has been far more than mediocre...without the attention he is drawing, the Rockets would be losing this series.



NOT TO MENTION the tough and physical shovelling, pushing, elbowing, hugging from Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden (which Nate McMillan , the head coach of Portland TrailBlazers thought were touch fouls only ) that he had been receiving and more than 2 phantom fouls he received every game in Game 1, 2 and 3 that had affected his performance.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 am
Posts: 10073Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm
PhilNYC wrote:
I don't consider having the coach rest him during the 4th quarter of a blowout/garbage time as "going AWOL".


what's this got to do with anything? I cant believe it's not butter.

for what it's worth I dont consider "having the coach rest him during the 4th quarter of a blowout/garbage time as "going AWOL"" either.

again what the ****** does that have to do with game 1? that's like saying Yao hit every shot he's ever taken... if you only consider the first quarter of the first game of this series. never mind he's taken thousands of shots in his career and not hit all of them... I guess we're just looking at isolated incidents and calling them a ballgame. we'll simply look at when RA rested him late in the game... and not consider the fact that he scored 0 points in the 2nd half and fouled himself out of playing in the 3rd quarter. oh yeah he had like what 2 rebounds and 2 fouls in that half as his entire production? that's not the DEFINITION of going AWOL.

Quote:
During this series, Yao is shooting at a higher FG%, higher FT%, grabbing more rebounds, with less than half the turnovers than he did during the regular season (per game average). He is 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense, and yet he's being more efficient than he was during the season and impacting the game in a huge way. He has been far more than mediocre...without the attention he is drawing, the Rockets would be losing this series.


he's shooting at a higher FG% due to that huge first half of game 1. a fact that's even more highly skewed by the fact that Yao's scored so little in other games including games with around 6 shot attempts. if you actually read the post what does "exception of key sequences" mean? Sounds like someone already considered what you're saying, weighed it, dismissed it, and made a statement with consideration of Yao's skewed game 1 and you're not even on the page yet

He's not "100%" the focus of Portland's defense. Is it 5 on 1 there? gay sentence

He has been having a mediocre series. One good half does not a series make. You have no idea what to do with stats. You're talking about a per game TO average in a series where if you take out 2 quarters he's had very few possessions.

To sum up your post. DORSEY IS THE MOST EFFICIENT PLAYER THE ROCKETS HAVE: LOWEST TURN OVER AVERAGE PER GAME. 0 MISSED FREE THROWS 0 MISSED FIELD GOALS.

Yao has been having a mediocre series. The best thing you can say about Yao is that he's stepped up in other areas like rebounding, defense, and fouling out guys to compensate for lower production which veterans and good players do.

The problem here is that fans have very short memories and lack the facilities to connect the dots logically. It seems that Houston will advance so all of the sudden Yao has been "superb" and all is forgotten. Yao and the Rockets had structural problems EVERY GAME until game 4. They couldnt' get Yao possessions late and Yao couldn't even manage his fouls and stay on the court.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 am
Posts: 10073Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:10 pm
pryuen wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:

During this series, Yao is shooting at a higher FG%, higher FT%, grabbing more rebounds, with less than half the turnovers than he did during the regular season (per game average). He is 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense, and yet he's being more efficient than he was during the season and impacting the game in a huge way. He has been far more than mediocre...without the attention he is drawing, the Rockets would be losing this series.



NOT TO MENTION the tough and physical shovelling, pushing, elbowing, hugging from Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden (which Nate McMillan , the head coach of Portland TrailBlazers thought were touch fouls only ) that he had been receiving and more than 2 phantom fouls he received every game in Game 1, 2 and 3 that had affected his performance.


the impact that Yao's been having on Portland has been almost entirely due to the first half of the first game. he's been able to draw doubles and pile fouls on guys but that's been more a function of what he showed in game 1 and what he COULD do than what he actually did. even in game 3 where his presence was so good in giving Scola opportunities. Yao was 2-7 in that game. It wasn't what Yao was doing offensively in that game but the THREAT of Yao established in 1 quarter of game 1.

before the series Nate was going to play yao straight up. that first quarter of game 1 basically changed that plan for the entire series... it made such an impact that even when Yao was scoring 7 points they had to respect him as a threat.

again it's hard to characterize what Yao's done this series. literally a HOF first quarter that changed the character of a series more than any other single quarter by any other player than i can remember. yet "efficiency" in NBA terms in its highest form is scoring on possessions that your team absolutely needs points... not on going 3-6 and maintaining a literal % efficiency for the game. yet even when failing to score Yao's stepped up with a lot of heart in every game and done anything to help his team win. for example in that 2-7 game yao grabbed 13 board and got 3 blocks and went 5-4-4 on fouls on Portland's front line

Yao's generally a very hard player and unique to characterize. his impact on this series is likewise very unique and hard to characterize. without Yao obviously Houston would not have won those games but he's actually been paradoxically mediocre... including just not being there at the end of games 1-3.


Last edited by temuchin on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 am
Posts: 4636Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
temuchin wrote:
PhilNYC wrote:
I don't consider having the coach rest him during the 4th quarter of a blowout/garbage time as "going AWOL".


what's this got to do with anything? I cant believe it's not butter.

for what it's worth I dont consider "having the coach rest him during the 4th quarter of a blowout/garbage time as "going AWOL"" either.

again what the ****** does that have to do with game 1? that's like saying Yao hit every shot he's ever taken... if you only consider the first quarter of the first game of this series. never mind he's taken thousands of shots in his career and not hit all of them... I guess we're just looking at isolated incidents and calling them a ballgame. we'll simply look at when RA rested him late in the game... and not consider the fact that he scored 0 points in the 2nd half and fouled himself out of playing in the 3rd quarter. oh yeah he had like what 2 rebounds and 2 fouls in that half as his entire production? that's not the DEFINITION of going AWOL.


Yao sat on the bench for the last 16 minutes (some of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter) because the Rockets were up by 20+ points and there was no need for him to go back into the game. That is not "going AWOL". "going AWOL" to me means that he was in the game but not a factor at all. Had he come back into the game in the 4th and not impacted the game, I would agree that he went AWOL.


Quote:
Quote:
During this series, Yao is shooting at a higher FG%, higher FT%, grabbing more rebounds, with less than half the turnovers than he did during the regular season (per game average). He is 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense, and yet he's being more efficient than he was during the season and impacting the game in a huge way. He has been far more than mediocre...without the attention he is drawing, the Rockets would be losing this series.


he's shooting at a higher FG% due to that huge first half of game 1. a fact that's even more highly skewed by the fact that Yao's scored so little in other games including games with around 6 shot attempts. if you actually read the post what does "exception of key sequences" mean? Sounds like someone already considered what you're saying, weighed it, dismissed it, and made a statement with consideration of Yao's skewed game 1 and you're not even on the page yet


Why are you so angry?

Why would you dismiss Yao's performance in game 1? It's exactly because he was so great in game 1 that the Blazers have switched their entire defensive focus in games 2-4 to make it a mission to shut Yao down on offense. You can't just throw out his performance in game 1 and look at the other 3 games...they are all connected. And what does "key sequences" have to do with it? Since game 2, Yao has been 100% the focus of the Blazers' defense...Yao has made an impact on just about every Rockets' offensive possession because he draws the double-team even when he doesn't have the ball...that is HUGE, and it certainly wouldn't have been the case if Yao didn't play so great in game 1. It's far more than "key sequences".

Quote:
He's not "100%" the focus of Portland's defense. Is it 5 on 1 there? gay sentence


Again, why so angry?

And yes, he is 100% the focus of Portland's defense. When was the last time Portland put two 7ftrs on the court at the same time? Of course it's not 5-1, but it couldn't be more obvious that their #1 priority is to take Yao out of the game.

Quote:
He has been having a mediocre series. One good half does not a series make. You have no idea what to do with stats. You're talking about a per game TO average in a series where if you take out 2 quarters he's had very few possessions.


fwiw, I was a statistics major in college and was a teaching fellow at NYU while in grad school for stats. I hate stats.

Quote:
To sum up your post. DORSEY IS THE MOST EFFICIENT PLAYER THE ROCKETS HAVE: LOWEST TURN OVER AVERAGE PER GAME. 0 MISSED FREE THROWS 0 MISSED FIELD GOALS.


Again, why so angry?

Quote:
Yao has been having a mediocre series. The best thing you can say about Yao is that he's stepped up in other areas like rebounding, defense, and fouling out guys to compensate for lower production which veterans and good players do.


If you believe that, good for you. I disagree.

Quote:
The problem here is that fans have very short memories and lack the facilities to connect the dots logically. It seems that Houston will advance so all of the sudden Yao has been "superb" and all is forgotten. Yao and the Rockets had structural problems EVERY GAME until game 4. They couldnt' get Yao possessions late and Yao couldn't even manage his fouls and stay on the court.


Who said he was "superb"? I said he was better than "mediocre".


Offline Profile YIM

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 15 of 16
160 posts
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum