<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  4/26/2009 Playoff Round 1 Game 4 Vs Portland

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 3021Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:34 am

HOW DOES MY A$$ TASTE ROY????

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

The Rockets in action........

And Uncle Mutombo and Tracy McGrady were there to rave and support their team mates.....

And their team mates did not disappoint them and won a hard-earned crucial Game 4 on their home soil.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:14 pm
there was a period late in this game after yao got that dunk you could noticeably see yao was calling for the ball more actively than he's done all series

the game came down to jump shots by battier but this was a very different game from 50/50 the past few games

1) if battier is open that means they're concentrating on Yao in the middle and the rockets are getting very good ball movement. battier does not take bad shots. unlike brooks or artest whose shots at the end of games can be dudes freelancing and tossing up shots

2) this puts a LOT of pressure on a young team unlike past games where rockets jacked shots, missed and fed Portland momentum and gave them free shots to pull farther ahead. this game the pressure resulted in several key mistakes by the Blazers like a back court violation and very poor shots and a roy charge

3) Yao being more active seems to give the team much more confidence and they didn't fall apart and freelance like other games. yes Yao could have done more but he contributed heavily to the win

you'd still like a deep post position for Yao at the end of games.... penetrate and dish like wafer did for a dunk or a high percentage Yao shot. but Yao obviously isn't going to get those... his own limits and the fact that the other team is going to do everything they can to stop yao from getting that shot. so it still comes down to guys hitting their shots. a game like tonight the rockets give themselves a 75-80% instead of 50/50 shot to win because they EXECUTED... get yao involved then pass to the open man for GOOD LOOKS

brooks didn't even hit his FTs and they still won... other games that would have been a death knell

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:54 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
I expect a very difficult game on Tuesday. They pretty much have to play a perfect game in order to close the Blazers out in Portland. The biggest key is they don't let the hostile crowd rattle them, especially when they are down. They need to be patient. Two players that worry the fans the most like Artest and Brooks need to use their brain.

Last edited by bayern on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:56 pm
Why does T-mac look so pissed off? :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
temuchin wrote:

you'd still like a deep post position for Yao at the end of games.... penetrate and dish like wafer did for a dunk or a high percentage Yao shot. but Yao obviously isn't going to get those... his own limits and the fact that the other team is going to do everything they can to stop yao from getting that shot.

Well, NOT for this game. :roll:

The Big Guy played his heart and gave his all for 43 FREAKING minutes in this game, MORE than any other Rockets.

If the Rockets had lost this game, I think Big Yao would have strangled Aaron Brooks for missing all those crucial free throws. :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:02 am
cpa314 wrote:
Why does T-mac look so pissed off? :lol:

Because the Rockets might get out of the first round this year and it's not on him. :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 am
bayern wrote:
I expect a very difficult game on Tuesday. They pretty much have to play a perfect game in order to close the Blazers out in Portland. The biggest key is they don't let the hostile crowd rattle them, especially when they are down. They need to be patient. Two players that worry the fans the most like Artest and Brooks need to use their brain.

You hit the nail right on the head there.

In fact, I felt one of the major reasons that the Rockets won Game 4 was that they had been playing with MORE PATIENCE than they were in Game 2 and Game 3.

Alot of time we could see how they slowed down the tempo/rhythm, made extra passes, and looked for team mates with open looks or better scoring opportunities. They managed to score in quite a few of the possessions after running dried the shot clocks.

And that stretch of doing the catch-up after falling behind with 6 points by end of 3Q vividly demonstrated this. Led by Kyle Lowry, who played with composure, the team played suffocating defense, and just reduced the deficits point by point at the beginning of 4Q.

They need to continue to play like that in Game 5: Tough defense, half-court offense with patience, more passing and rebounding, look for team mates with open looks and better scoring opportunities, and wiser shot selections.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 am
pryuen wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head there.

In fact, I felt one of the major reasons that the Rockets won Game 4 was that they had been playing with MORE PATIENCE than they were in Game 2 and Game 3.

Alot of time we could see how they slowed down the tempo/rhythm, made extra passes, and looked for team mates with open looks or better scoring opportunities. They managed to score in quite a few of the possessions after running dried the shot clocks.

And that stretch of doing the catch-up after falling behind with 6 points by end of 3Q vividly demonstrated this. Led by Kyle Lowry, who played with composure, the team played suffocating defense, and just reduced the deficits point by point at the beginning of 4Q.

They need to continue to play like that in Game 5: Tough defense, half-court offense with patience, more passing and rebounding, look for team mates with open looks and better scoring opportunities, and wiser shot selections.

That will be the biggest challenge for them because of the hostile crowd. Sometimes it rattles away teams with that crazy noise. It makes you want to hurry things, and do things without thinking clearly. That's exactly when mistakes will occur. That's why I think both Artest and Brooks need to get their heads straight. These two I worry the most. What comes down to it, is that execution down the stretch. In general, a team usually does that better at home than on the road.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 am
bayern wrote:

Game 4 was a win the rockets still didn't have a great game. they blew a lead and let Portland back into the game

the difference is they executed what they wanted to down the stretch... not execution in terms of doing things perfectly (hitting shots... they were about 40% for the game i think) but doing things HOW they wanted... establish Yao, then either swing the ball to the open side or send it in to yao. it's not about hitting every jumper... it's about dictating the tempo and style of play. the rockets are a superior team so even if Yao and the other guys aren't hitting a lot of shots they'll win by virtue of playing their type of game. Houston other than being more talented, deeper and more experienced than Portland has a massive defensive advantage which is almost enough to win the game alone, and the fact that Houston's go-to shots with Yao are simply higher percentage than jumpers by Roy and bailout whistles on the drive

I dont know if Portland wins the next one. they have a punchers chance so they could win any of these games. regardless of the crowd or a perfect game, if the Rockets are able to execute the gameplan they want they'll leave Portland with the series win. I thought it'd go 5 games but they could hit everything in the 4th quarter and take this game. I cannot see this series going 7 either the next game or the following Houston will finish them off

Scola, Artest and Battier are going to go for the kill. I think Yao is going to have a big game. All the pressure in the world is off I think yao comes out and has a huge game. Game 5 after you're up 3-1 and you're on the road there's no expectations if Yao is going to have a break out game I think the next one is it.

Great win. Keep it up rockets

Offline Profile