<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  04/15 Game 82: Houston Rockets @ Dallas Mavericks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:10 am
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am

So the final game of the regular season.

A tricky one away from home at Dallas.

The playoff seedings and pairings of #2 to #7 of the Western Conference will not be known until the day is over.

Different scenarios dictate whether the Houston Rockets can win the Southwest Division title, get home court advantage or drops out of the Top 4 and lose the home court advantage.

If they win in Dallas, they will clinch the Southwest Division title and home court advantage, regardless the outcome of the games between San Antonio Spurs versus New Orleans Hornets, or Portland TrailBlazers versus Denver Nuggets.

If both San Antonio Spurs and Portland TrailBlazers win, and the Rockets lose, then they will drop to #5 and lose the home court advantage.

If they win, and Portland TrailBlazers win, then the Rockets might even rise to #2, and will obtain home court advantage for Round 1 and Round 2, but will have to play Dallas Mavericks in the playoff.

In any case, I'd rather they play their usual game with energy, intensity and urgency, and treat this game like Game 7 of any playoff series, and don't think too much about who they are going to face in the playoff.

Just take the SouthWest Division title and the home court advantage first.

At least, by doing so, they acquire the home court advantage, save the trouble of travelling and have 2 days in Houston to strategize and prepare for whichever team they are going to meet in the playoff which commence immediately on Saturday.

GO GO ROCKETS !!! GO GO BIG YAO !!! CLINCH THE DIVISION TILE AND HOME COURT ADVANTAGE !!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:19 am
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
I am not sure if the Mavs have much to play for now that they won't be facing the Lakers. There's not much difference between the 6th and 7th seed. It's the 8th seed that they were trying to avoid. So they may not play their starters heavy minutes.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am
User avatarPosts: 321Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 pm
If we lose tonight and SA wins, then SA will be at the 3 and DA will be at the 6. I think DA rather play a injure SA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am
nolimitation wrote:
If we lose tonight and SA wins, then SA will be at the 3 and DA will be at the 6. I think DA rather play a injure SA.

There are too many possibilities that it is pretty much out of Dallas hands. There is no need for them to fight for a 50/50 chance to face two similar opponents (remember the ROX is also technically injured too with T-Mac out). I think they will rest their starters as much as possible.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:20 am
User avatarPosts: 321Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:07 pm
Yaoisgreat wrote:
nolimitation wrote:

(remember the ROX is also technically injured too with T-Mac out).

With the recent news of Ginobli out and a worn out Duncan is not the same as being w/o T-mac for a few months now.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 am
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
Tang Man wrote:
I am not sure if the Mavs have much to play for now that they won't be facing the Lakers. There's not much difference between the 6th and 7th seed. It's the 8th seed that they were trying to avoid. So they may not play their starters heavy minutes.

Actually they might not want to face the Nuggets either since they lost all 4 meetings against them this season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:20 pm
Posts: 8230Location: GuangxiJoined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:14 pm
bayern wrote:
Tang Man wrote:

Actually they might not want to face the Nuggets either since they lost all 4 meetings against them this season.

yeah but it all depends on nuggets and portland game. rox win, they are guaranteed at least 3rd seed. rox could end up being 2nd to 5th seed.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:47 pm
Rocket's ranking is very much on their very own hands. They HAVE to win this game. It will be a huge difference to have HCA in the first two rounds in the playoff (assuming they can get pass the first round, but I think they can).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 59324Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yaoisgreat wrote:
Rocket's ranking is very much on their very own hands. They HAVE to win this game. It will be a huge difference to have HCA in the first two rounds in the playoff (assuming they can get pass the first round, but I think they can).

If I'm not mistaken, they will only get home court advantage for Round 1 and Round 2 if they rise to #2 seed, and that will depend on they win the game over Dallas Mavericks and Portland TrailBlazers beat Denver Nuggets.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 pm
User avatarPosts: 7735Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:06 pm
bayern wrote:

My feeling is they'll play their starters under 30 minutes. It's basically out of their hand anyway if the Hornets win because the Hornets owned the tie breaker against them.

Offline Profile