<  Yao on the court, and his most recent game  ~  Give me the Damn ball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:43 am
Posts: 125Location: ChicagoJoined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:33 am
Forget about Yao's mentality. He probably is not ready for that level yet. Size doesn't mean aggresiveness, he is unfornately a gentleman even on the court. We cann't change that for now.

HOWEVER, even Yao yells for ball, can he get the ball? Brown or McDyess might have no answer for Yao's offense, but the refs do. I don't think anybody can actually catch the ball when Brown and McDyess are pulling you away into different directions. Can you? And make it worse, the refs are always blind to this. Ok, I am fine with that, since it is wrong but consistent.

Everybody knows when the game is right on the line, Yao is the first choice. He will be doule-triple-teamed and fouled-but-no-call.
I would assume Coach Idleman knows this too and his teammates know it as well. So Rockets men, be smart now and figure out some other ways to run the offense in the last few seconds, especially Coach Idleman. Do you even have a plan after a time-out? Cause' so far I haven't seen any good thing happen after Coach Idleman called a time-out. However bad it was, it is worse after he calls a time-out.

Therefore, until the day that NBA refs give some mercy to Yao and make the right call, I suggest Rockets men keeping the ball constantly moving and playing the game smart.

Last thing, GET THE DAMN REBOUNDS, Rockets. This is certainly more important than anything else.

Get the damn rebounds.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 pm
Tim Duncan does not demand the ball. He gets the ball.

Maybe Pop can give Yao a natrual role to play basketball. Let's hope it will happen.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:45 pm
User avatarPosts: 3614Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:48 pm
WiseYao wrote:

Maybe Pop can give Yao a natrual role to play basketball. Let's hope it will happen.

Duncan doesn't need to demand the ball, because everyone on that team is mature enough to understand who should be getting the ball down the stretch. Duncan will automatically have the ball. An issue like this shouldn't even be existed for a championship team like the Spurs. That's why the Spurs won the titles while the Rockets haven't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs in a long time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:42 am
bayern wrote:
WiseYao wrote:

Duncan doesn't need to demand the ball, because everyone on that team is mature enough to understand who should be getting the ball down the stretch. Duncan will automatically have the ball. An issue like this shouldn't even be existed for a championship team like the Spurs. That's why the Spurs won the titles while the Rockets haven't gotten out of the first round of the playoffs in a long time.

Yao is no doubt a gentle giant. At the same time, I don't think Duncan is that overly aggressive either. At least I have never or rarely seen him yelling at the ref. or anyone else for that matter. Both AB and Ron are still pretty new to the team; perhaps it will need a little bit more time to get into their heads to get the ball to the go-to guy. Like I said before, I have never seen anyone passing the ball to Yao as well as T-mac. For this, we really miss him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 pm
I dont understand how the coach keep on preaching to the team that the offense go through Yao, but it usally don't when it most matter.
And the players on the team that houston medias said to have smart basketball IQ having a hard time folowing the coach instruction. :shock:
I guess now you can find another thing yao is not good at, that is calling out his teamates. :(

Last edited by windrider on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:45 pm
And now the coach pass the (hard) ball into Yao's hands. Literally. If you get the kick out of it.

windrider wrote:
I dont understand how the coach keep on preaching to the team that the offense go through Yao, but it usally don't when it most matter.
And the players on the team that houston medias said to have smart basketball IQ having a hard time folowing the coach instruction. :shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:49 pm
slee wrote:

Yao is no doubt a gentle giant. At the same time, I don't think Duncan is that overly aggressive either. At least I have never or rarely seen him yelling at the ref. or anyone else for that matter. Both AB and Ron are still pretty new to the team; perhaps it will need a little bit more time to get into their heads to get the ball to the go-to guy. Like I said before, I have never seen anyone passing the ball to Yao as well as T-mac. For this, we really miss him.

Like I have said, Duncan doesn't need to yell for the ball because everyone on that team is on the same page. They have a good coach in Popovich and issue like that can't be existed under his leadership.

Sometimes I don't think Yao's teammates trust him that much. They probably think it's even harder to get him the ball than scoring a basket on their own. One player who's been pretty consistent getting him the ball is actually Battier. I think Yao and Brooks need to switch personalities. Yao needs to shoot first pass second like Brooks now, while Brooks needs to be more unselfish like Yao to fill that point guard role.

Sadly, it is what it is, Yao won't change and time is indeed running out. He isn't going to play forever. Personally, I don't think Yao will ever win a championship, at least not when he leads the team. He might win one if someone else leads and he plays as a role player, because he thinks he should be playing like a role player. That's how he was taught when he was in China. So he might need to get on a team that has Kobe, or Lebron, or Wade. Those players will lead and Yao can follow the lead.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:07 pm
bayern wrote:
That's how he was taught when he was in China.

That's not entirely correct. He is the absolute leader in the national team. And his teammates simply follow his play.

That's the puzzle I don't understand when Yao stays in the Rockets team. Seems like he forgot to be a leader.

It's the confidence. He doesn't know he can do it. Maybe he cannot. Who knows? As long as he cannot pass the first round, he is the role player.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm
MengHuiHanTang wrote:
bayern wrote:

That's not entirely correct. He is the absolute leader in the national team. And his teammates simply follow his play.

That's the puzzle I don't understand when Yao stays in the Rockets team. Seems like he forgot to be a leader.

It's the confidence. He doesn't know he can do it. Maybe he cannot. Who knows? As long as he cannot pass the first round, he is the role player.

People follow him on the Chinese national team because he is practically the only Chinese player who has been playing in the NBA on a long term basis, which means he has a higher status in their eyes. So the players want to look up to him. Yi plays in the NBA but he isn't a star on his team, Sun is playing in the D league and try to win a spot on the Lakers bench.

On the Rockets, players could careless about Yao's leadership. They think he is just as a mistake prone as them. A guy who made a dumb mistake to foul himself out against the Nuggets down the stretch. Do you think other players want him to lead? They simply treat him as another player. It has always been like that since the start of his NBA career.

I remember when Artest first got traded to the Rockets. Man, he was sweet mouth about Yao in the media. Like if Yao wants him to jump off the building, then he would do it. whatever Yao says, he will do it. blah, blah, blah. Heck, look at Artest now, he is all about himself, out of control at times without any discipline on the floor. Does Yao have the guts to point that out? In fact, I think perhaps Yao likes that, let someone else like Artest lead the team since T Mac is gone.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:06 am
bayern wrote:
MengHuiHanTang wrote:
bayern wrote:

People follow him on the Chinese national team because he is practically the only Chinese player who has been playing in the NBA on a long term basis, which means he has a higher status in their eyes. So the players want to look up to him. Yi plays in the NBA but he isn't a star on his team, Sun is playing in the D league and try to win a spot on the Lakers bench.

On the Rockets, players could careless about Yao's leadership. They think he is just as a mistake prone as them. A guy who made a dumb mistake to foul himself out against the Nuggets down the stretch. Do you think other players want him to lead? They simply treat him as another player. It has always been like that since the start of his NBA career.

I remember when Artest first got traded to the Rockets. Man, he was sweet mouth about Yao in the media. Like if Yao wants him to jump off the building, then he would do it. whatever Yao says, he will do it. blah, blah, blah. Heck, look at Artest now, he is all about himself, out of control at times without any discipline on the floor. Does Yao have the guts to point that out? In fact, I think perhaps Yao likes that, let someone else like Artest lead the team since T Mac is gone.

You know who Artest is. He is the GUY-OUT-OF-Control. And he was sweet mouth about Yao, but remember that was way back to his first days into Houston. What do you want him to do to the Franchise player of the team?

Especially after T-MAC was out, Artest has the right to control his own game when you cannot even pass the ball to Yao.

For Yao, leader or not, we know he is not Kobe-type superstar. He needs his teammates and teamwork. The current Rockets have no superstar. What they can do to get closer to Champ is to rely on each other and fight together. Without Yao, or Artest, or Scola, Rockets is going nowhere.

T-MAC was the leader. But not any more. They don't need a absolute leader for now, teamwork only.

Offline Profile